#211 Lembi Resident

Lembi Resident

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:21 AM

WrongSideofTheBridge:

Thank you for reading the thread and giving consideration to the issue. A couple of thoughts:

Regarding speed enforcement: I think many Folsom residents agree that they'd like to see greater traffic law enforcement. Yet it would probably take an officer on every corner to adequately correct the driving habits in this city! Two important points: The Folsom PD has recently added traffic officers to the force. And, the officers' hands are somewhat tied when it comes to speed enforcement on certain streets. A very frustrating reality for all. (There is a separate, previous thread regarding Sibley St. The issue of the 85th percentile is discussed in that thread.)

The effects of the Sutter/Coloma closures on the Sibley neighborhood: I agree that these closures did have some impact on the neighborhood. However, the traffic problems in our neighborhood cannot be simply considered the results of a chain reaction. This neighborhood had been experiencing problems before the closure of the FDR.

Rash closure of streets around town: I can't state more emphatically, that I just don't foresee this happening!

Our citizen's group worked with the City's traffic engineers for months, considering many options to street closure. Traffic calming proposals for the neighborhood were very cautiously, but appropriately, considered by the Traffic Safety Committee and City Council. Original plans were not accepted. The citizens' committee went back to the drawing board with the traffic engineers, and back again to City Council........It's a L-O-N-G story, and I'm sure you understand my point. Street closure is rather extreme, and is generally only cautiously considered for extreme circumstances. As you know, still nothing has been permanently decided for the Sibley neighborhood.

It seems that the City is looking at Folsom traffic issues in a comprehensive fashion. Changes to the arterial system have been made, and others are planned or in progress. Additionally, I have been informed by members of the Public Works staff that the City has been working on a formal neighborhood traffic management/calming plan. Hopefully with such a plan, addressing neighborhood traffic problems will be more efficient and less painful than this Sibley/Bidwell/Lembi project. This is good news for all Folsom residents. Until then, I suppose we just need to be patient, as these changes do not happen overnight. Save putting a "For Sale" sign on the front lawn, what else is there to do?

#212 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (WrongSideoftheBridge @ Jun 1 2004, 04:20 AM)
How many police officers does this community of 50,000+ have, 3? rolleyes.gif    Why can't their be better planning between Placer and Eldorado counties to address what largely is their traffic?  Could Folsom take these two entities to court to force them to correct the burden they are putting on the City of Folsom?  A bridge below the dam, though pretty much in the bag, still puts their traffic through our city, just in a different place.  

First, yes, as a matter of fact, Folsom PD has 3 officers dedicated to traffic.

Secondly, you must not have been here in the 80s when the Lake Natoma Crossing was in its decision phase. The City of Folsom asked El Dorado County and Placer County to pay into the pot for a new bridge. Folsom even had the statistics to back up the claim that almost 80% of commute traffic over Rainbow Bridge and dam road was cut through traffic between El Dorado and Placer Counties. Both declined to pay into the cost of the Lake Natoma Crossing.

And now with the next proposed crossing you may be hearing that these two counties want to be involved in the planning, but as of this date they haven't offered any kind of funding, but I'm sure they'll take credit for any possible money Folsom will attempt to get from the feds.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I am digusted with both those entities. Several people suggested during the Lake Natoma Crossing study (myself included) that we make Rainbow Bridge and the new crossing a toll bridge, with Folsom residents having free pass stickers. Businesses would have drastically opposed this I'm sure, but it never got past the discussion phase.

If you have friends/family in El Do and Placer counties who visit/commute to/through Folsom, ask them to contact their community leaders and volunteer to put some money into the cause for the new bridge. Everyone has the solution but no one wants to put their money where their mouths are.

#213 Shadow

Shadow

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 10:35 AM

I was unable to attend Tuesday's meeting. Does anyone know what the decision/discussion was regarding the Sibley Street closure? Thanks

#214 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 10:47 AM

My wife and I were at the meeting and don't quote me but I think they agreed to keep it closed for an hour and a half in the evening until the new traffic light is installed at Sibley and Folsom/Auburn road. I think they planned to keep it closed for that 1 1/2 hours for 5 days after the new traffic light is installed. Five days after the light is installed, an working, they will not be closing the street.

I think it is going to be mid August

Like I said, don't quote me but I think that is at least close to what they said. For more information call the city managers office.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#215 waterbaby149

waterbaby149

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 09:40 PM

In passing through that area today - Sibley and Glenn - the crews were out there working - looks like pressing hard to get those signals in

#216 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 02 August 2004 - 07:36 AM

If we want El Dorado County to kick in, put a toll on Green Valley Road just past Ralph's ($1 or $2). That would reduce the congestion on Natoma through Old Town, although that would change once they complete the road going through Empire Ranch. I'm sure the commuters will love me for that unrealistic idea.

In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#217 mtnhiker

mtnhiker

Netizen

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 11:02 AM

yes , looks like signals are going in finally.
though I would like to see Lembi still closed at Riley
turning left and or traffic enforced on lembi and or multiple
speed humps ,bumps or stop signs.

Perhaps lembi should be split into two at gilded rock or
oxborough as is done in other neighborhoods.

#218 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE (mtnhiker @ Aug 3 2004, 11:02 AM)
yes , looks like signals are going in finally.
though I would like to see Lembi still closed at Riley
turning left and or traffic enforced on lembi and or multiple
speed humps ,bumps or stop signs.

Perhaps lembi should be split into two at gilded rock or
oxborough as is done in other neighborhoods.

I agree wholeheartedly. It sounds like the city is currently working to develop an overall traffic calming plan, so it will be interesting to see what comes out of that.

#219 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 11:22 AM

According to Folsom Police Public Information Officer (and former star professional baseball player) Kurt Knudsen, as stated in today's Folsom Telegraph: in the recent four-day period that Folsom PD performed strict traffic enforcement in the Sibley/Lembi, Bidwell area, 100 citations were issued for stop sign and seat belt violations. Don't know what the speeding number was, but have to consider that those were quite a few.

Maybe that gives you an idea of the issues that Sibley residents face and the volume of traffic in the area.

It will be great when the Glenn/Sibley lights are installed, and hopefully by shortening the through light on Sibley at Glenn (coming northbound), it will encourage commuters to turn left from Sibley onto Glenn to get to Folsom Boulevard.

#220 Cloud9

Cloud9

Hopeless Addict

• Member*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 04:04 PM

When is that bridge getting built?
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

http://folsomforum.com/

IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users