264 replies to this topic

#31 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

a hospital in New York is now testing to see if a sick person who just returned from West Africa has Ebola.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#32 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:01 AM

and now Kaiser in South Sac has some one who was exposed to Ebola and is now ill isolated in a hospital right here.....

I have friends in Uganda who are really worried.  me, not so much.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#33 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:28 AM

and now Kaiser in South Sac has some one who was exposed to Ebola and is now ill isolated in a hospital right here.....

I have friends in Uganda who are really worried.  me, not so much.

I'm not usually one to panic, but the lack of containment in this outbreak is worrisome.  

I know people that work at South Sac Kaiser, one of whom didn't find out about the patient until getting home and seeing it on the news.  I'm really hoping it's a false alarm.

#34 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:34 AM

Don't panic, everything is fine. According to all the "experts" there is NO WAY this could be spreading, yep NO WAY. And even if it did you still have a 40% chance of surviving.

Move along, nothing to see here!

#35 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

The difference is this person did not come into the US under special precautions and has been out and about for all intents and purposes.

Totally different scenario than  the 2 workers/Dr.s who were brought home earlier. I still stand behind my statement that bringing them back "safely" was the right thing to do.

This current scenario would have happened regardless. It begs the question....how many others are out there as well? There was a report a couple of weeks ago about a Carmichael man who was an aid worker in the same unit with the 2 Americans brought in under strict safety conditions/quarantine. He flew home and was "watching" for signs of illness.........

You tell me Nomad, which scenario is scarier to you?

#36 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:46 AM

The difference is this person did not come into the US under special precautions and has been out and about for all intents and purposes.

Totally different scenario than  the 2 workers/Dr.s who were brought home earlier. I still stand behind my statement that bringing them back "safely" was the right thing to do.

This current scenario would have happened regardless. It begs the question....how many others are out there as well? There was a report a couple of weeks ago about a Carmichael man who was an aid worker in the same unit with the 2 Americans brought in under strict safety conditions/quarantine. He flew home and was "watching" for signs of illness.........

You tell me Nomad, which scenario is scarier to you?

They are both equally as scary since the end result is the same: bringing the disease here. The problem is all the "science" that says this can't spread widely because it's requires bodily fluids, etc. How certain of this is anyone? They just don't know if you ask me but to quell the masses we'll be told that and people will buy into it.

This may all just be media hype, I hope so!

#37 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:23 AM

I agree with EAH. Just to get into the ER at Kaiser, this person probably rode in a car or ambulance, talked to the ER receptionist and triage nurse, sat next to someone in the waiting room... all without any precautions to protect those s/he came into contact with. Not to mention this individual could have been sharing a bathroom at home with 5 other people...

It is very scary.

#38 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

EAH- I agree with you. The most noticeable course of containment of a disease like this will have precaustions set forth to protect the public.

Airports, missionaries, public bathrooms, malls, etc.,...does not. 

The biggest concern for an outbreak in South sac--is every where that that person was from the time he/she was infected until the time the person was placed in containment. 

And, all the places all the people this person had contact with during that time. 

Best scenario, this person: got off a one person private plane from BFE and walked directly into the ER.

Not really sure what the worst scenario would be. We don't even know what stage or development of the disease it is in; IF the person has it. We will have to wait & see

#39 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:19 PM

I think they said on the radio that it is actually unlikely this person has Ebola--but they are testing just in case.

One thing I haven't read about is how Ebola is transmitted. I understand it is contagious only when a person shows symptoms. But at that point, can it be spread airborne, like the common cold can be spread in droplets from a breath or sneeze? Or must someone have hands-on contact with another person's body fluids, and even then, can it enter through the skin, or does it go in through the mouth/nose etc.?

#40 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:25 PM

you have to come into contact with a mammal that has the disease and absorb their body fluids through skin/mucous or sweat contact, inhale droplets from a cough or through blood contact. 

Most of these cases are believed (at the present time) to be started by bats biting dear and humans eating the deer- in the forests. They bring the meat home, eat it, and become infected (we have no idea why cooking doesnt kill it, unless they just get infect from the raw blood. Once they are infected- they are contagious even before they feel sick or show symptoms of a cold or flu-like illness which later progresses.

It is important to note that the continent of Africa is not the only place this disease naturally occurs. It thrives in jungle like biomes

#41 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:31 AM

American Ebola patient Nancy Writebol was released from Atlanta's Emory University Hospital on Tuesday, a source close to the Writebol family told CNN today.

A second Ebola patient at Emory, Dr. Kent Brantly, will be released today, a hospital spokesman said earlier. Emory has a news conference scheduled for 11 a.m. ET to discuss the patients' release.

Svzr2FS.jpg

#42 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:38 AM

American Ebola patient Nancy Writebol was released from Atlanta's Emory University Hospital on Tuesday, a source close to the Writebol family told CNN today.

A second Ebola patient at Emory, Dr. Kent Brantly, will be released today, a hospital spokesman said earlier. Emory has a news conference scheduled for 11 a.m. ET to discuss the patients' release.

I think an app that combines a list of Ebola "free" people with their GPS coordinates is now needed!

#43 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

So relieved the patient at South Sac Kaiser is negative.

#44 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:07 PM

9/30/14- So here it comes - not much detail but the fact that it is here outside of ones that had it over there and came here for treatment is more than a bit concerning....

Ebola Diagnosed In U.S. For The First Time: CDC

http://www.huffingto..._n_5909394.html

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#45 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:07 PM

Well that didn't take long now did it?

http://news.yahoo.co...-205031312.html

No mention of all the contacts at the airport, plane, security lines, taxi, people he was around since he's been back....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users