#16 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE(Coastal Cohort @ Sep 16 2008, 09:48 AM) View Post
please take a moment to check your sidewalk and give it a good scrub down if it needs it.

And then spray the area with bleach to kill off any algae that might remain. It comes out looking like new...
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#17 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Sep 16 2008, 11:25 AM) View Post
Now there is a constructive use of water. wacko.gif

Actually - I use the pressure sprayer which uses much less water than the hose and 'scours' the side walk and gutter...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#18 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Sep 16 2008, 01:17 PM) View Post
And then spray the area with bleach to kill off any algae that might remain. It comes out looking like new...

... and can kill the fish and frogs in the creeks and steams if flows into -- BAD IDEA ---

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#19 Coastal Cohort

Coastal Cohort

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE(asbestoshills @ Sep 16 2008, 12:47 PM) View Post
In our neighborhood most neighbors have complied with water restricitions, however, our sidewalks are always wet because of the way the yards are sloped....Even watering only a few minutes a day causes this effect.....U may just want to stay on the street..Many homes that have sloped driveways/yards have the same problem...

Actually, the water isn't the problem, it's the moss/algae that it creates and the mud that builds up. There is typically a 1/4 inch of sludge on the sidewalk.

It can easily be solved by the owner going out with a shovel and broom... whip123.gif

I do it for my neighbors and it would be nice it others would too. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

#20 Coastal Cohort

Coastal Cohort

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ Sep 16 2008, 11:13 AM) View Post
and we hose down our gutters to move the mud and stuff from up the street on to the next yards gutters...

Thanks!!!! headbang.gif

#21 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:54 PM

Well, my apartment complex is still watering 2x everyday. ohmy.gif

#22 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:55 PM

For many of us, the drainage wasn't properly designed and there's no way to avoid getting this slimy mess on the sidewalk. It's also difficult to clean up with the frequency/speed needed -- although we tried for years. We didn't have much run-off from our property, but our neighbor's run-off drained down the slope and created a slimy problem on our section of sidewalk. For a while the city would install under-the-sidewalk drains to pull the excess water right out to the curb. Then they stopped. But....

...they will give you the blue prints needed to do it yourself... at your expense, although they will waive the permit fee. My husband installed one last year and it works wonders, but it was A LOT of work. He had to get a concrete saw to cut a section of sidewalk wide enough to insert the drain. The drain itself was huge, heavy, and not real cheap (I'd have to find the receipt to remember where we got it and how much it cost). The drain was a little too long for our needs, so he cut it a bit. He dug a trench, inserted the drain, and then had to pour concrete to repair the cut in the sidewalk.

The drain works perfectly and we haven't had any slime on the sidewalk since.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#23 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE(Resume Lady @ Sep 16 2008, 02:55 PM) View Post
...they will give you the blue prints needed to do it yourself... at your expense, although they will waive the permit fee. My husband installed one last year and it works wonders, but it was A LOT of work. He had to get a concrete saw to cut a section of sidewalk wide enough to insert the drain. The drain itself was huge, heavy, and not real cheap (I'd have to find the receipt to remember where we got it and how much it cost). The drain was a little too long for our needs, so he cut it a bit. He dug a trench, inserted the drain, and then had to pour concrete to repair the cut in the sidewalk.

The drain works perfectly and we haven't had any slime on the sidewalk since.

who did you contact at the city for this ?

-Margaret Mead-

#24 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ Sep 16 2008, 03:01 PM) View Post
who did you contact at the city for this ?

I've returned your PM, but for the benefit of others reading the thread -- contact the city's building/permit department for further information.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#25 Thor2074

Thor2074

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE(Coastal Cohort @ Sep 16 2008, 09:48 AM) View Post
Hi All,
I just completeed my daily walk with the dog and I am prompted to post this little reminder.

Please check the sidewalks in front of your house. Many of you have water and mud run off from your lawns that makes the section of sidwalk *very* slippery! weirdsmiley.gif I've slipped so many times, now I just walk into the street to avoid those sections.

It has gotten a bit better since the water restrictions, but still please take a moment to check your sidewalk and give it a good scrub down if it needs it.

Also, please clean the gutter in front of your house. I see many houses with piles of mud and debris that block the water flow - cleaning your gutter and the sewer grate helps with the run off and mud issues. I know it's a pain, we have a sewer grate that we have to sweep frequently - but it makes our sidewalks much nicer for all of us.

Thanks!!! specool.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the sidewalk in the right of way of the city? Which means the city owns the sidewalk? I know it's our watering that gets on the sidewalk, but our tires and our cars damage streets. It should be the responsibility of the city to clean the sidewalks. Also, the gutter is in the city's ROW also, so it's their responsibility. That's what I'm paying my taxes for. The city to clean the streets, and their ROW (I could be completely wrong about this as the sidewalk may be on your property but I think your property line starts at the back of the sidewalk, not out in the gutter).

Also, it's not a sewer gate. There is no such thing. Sewer systems in this part of the state are closed systems, no water should get in them (rain run off in manhole covers only). What you are talking about is the storm drain gate. Again, this is in the city's ROW, and probably you shouldn't be cleaning it, you may get hurt somehow, and then sue the county, and my taxes will go up. In fact, any water entering the storm drain does go to creeks, so it should be pollution free water. All water entering a sewer system is treated down in Elk Grove.

And, if there is a water restriction in place, we probably can't hose down sidewalks, that may go against the restrictions, if not just common sense to not waste any more extra water.

Anyway, my two cents.

#26 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE(Thor2074 @ Sep 16 2008, 06:31 PM) View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the sidewalk in the right of way of the city? Which means the city owns the sidewalk? I know it's our watering that gets on the sidewalk, but our tires and our cars damage streets. It should be the responsibility of the city to clean the sidewalks.

Yes, the city owns the sidewalk, but homeowners are responsible for clearing them. If you lived in snow country, the city wouldn't shovel your sidewalk. Sad, but true.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#27 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:15 PM

These were our costs for the under-the-sidewalk drain last Fall. We split all of the costs with our neighbor, whose water drained down to a common area.

Concrete Saw Rental: $117.63 (Home Depot)
Sidewalk Drain: $315.28 (Placer Waterworks in Roseville)
4 Bags of Concrete: $ 18.56 (Home Depot)

TOTAL: $451.47

Total each: $225.73
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#28 Thor2074

Thor2074

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE(Resume Lady @ Sep 16 2008, 07:07 PM) View Post
Yes, the city owns the sidewalk, but homeowners are responsible for clearing them. If you lived in snow country, the city wouldn't shovel your sidewalk. Sad, but true.

I would still like to know what regulation requires homeowners to clean sidewalks. I bet it could be challenged. Not that I would want to. I'm sure there's some greedy lawyer out there that would.

On a second note to the original poster, the new watering regulations require us to water early in the morning. Since a lot of us have to get up to go to work in the morning, there isn't much time, even daylight time, to get out and clean the sidewalks. I still think that since the sidewalks are paid for by the city, they should tax us more (yay) to have the city crew clean them.

#29 Coastal Cohort

Coastal Cohort

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE(Thor2074 @ Sep 16 2008, 07:43 PM) View Post
I would still like to know what regulation requires homeowners to clean sidewalks. I bet it could be challenged. Not that I would want to. I'm sure there's some greedy lawyer out there that would.

On a second note to the original poster, the new watering regulations require us to water early in the morning. Since a lot of us have to get up to go to work in the morning, there isn't much time, even daylight time, to get out and clean the sidewalks. I still think that since the sidewalks are paid for by the city, they should tax us more (yay) to have the city crew clean them.

Again, (!) angry.gif it has nothing to do with water restrictions.

Nor is this something that has to be dealt with every day. The sludge that builds up is occuring over time. A few times a year you can get out there with a broom and shovel and clean it up. I'ts no big deal. Last time I checked there are plenty of daylight hours on Saturdays and Sundays, all year long...
Seriously, is being a good neighbor to your community such a hard thing????

On a side note, I find it really funny (sad?) that everyone bitches that the city/government imposes laws/restrictions/etc..."It's my god-given right to do/buy/use stuff. There are too many rules! Us rebublicans don't like taxes! Stop being a big brother government! " blah, blah, blah. and then turns around and says, "It's the city's resposibility to do clean the sidewalks".

Make up your mind people!

#30 Coastal Cohort

Coastal Cohort

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE(Thor2074 @ Sep 16 2008, 06:31 PM) View Post
Also, it's not a sewer gate. There is no such thing. Sewer systems in this part of the state are closed systems, no water should get in them (rain run off in manhole covers only). What you are talking about is the storm drain gate.

Sorry...next time I'll consult my dictionary of plumbing terms to choose the right word... wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users