26 replies to this topic

#16 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (Darthvader @ Feb 17 2009, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Painting brick is the HGTV cheap way of "updating" a look. I think it's better to leave it and change the wall color, trim, etc to make room, etc look good.

you may be right, that was nice positive alternative solution to post darth, thanks for that

... sure beats being told I'm an idiot for painting the brick....

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#17 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:47 PM

This seems a lot like anyone arguing over their likes or dislikes for lino vs. tile; shag carpet vs. wool; siding vs. plaster; brick vs. river rock.

It's merely a taste.

seems more people nowadays look at indoor acessories like marble floors, granite counters and # of bathrooms--before they consider if the brick should have not been painted-before being put up for sale.

It also is a style that seems to revolve. Like Go go boots.

20 years ago it was the rave.

Now, the recycled, "antiqued" --meaning previously used--bricks, is the "in" thing.

Whichever is your taste is up to you and for some their "HOA".

#18 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:54 PM

It's a matter of taste. The pic davburr posted looks nice. I'd be more likely to paint interior brick than exterior. I thought that was the beauty of having a brick exterior - you don't have to paint it.

It's your house, Coastal Cohort. Do what you want. Best of luck with your project. I'm sure it will turn out great.

#19 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (supermom @ Feb 17 2009, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This seems a lot like anyone arguing over their likes or dislikes for lino vs. tile; shag carpet vs. wool; siding vs. plaster; brick vs. river rock.

It's merely a taste.

seems more people nowadays look at indoor acessories like marble floors, granite counters and # of bathrooms--before they consider if the brick should have not been painted-before being put up for sale.

It also is a style that seems to revolve. Like Go go boots.

20 years ago it was the rave.

Now, the recycled, "antiqued" --meaning previously used--bricks, is the "in" thing.

Whichever is your taste is up to you and for some their "HOA".

First, I've gone back an re-read most posts and I don't see the arguing, I do see people stating their opinion.

and if you re-read my first post, did I not say

"Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder "

and "to each his own"

don't people decorate their homes to be esthetically pleasing to themselves as well as to the neighborhood. If CC wants to paint their brick, it's their property, have at it, but from the # of posts on here that don't like painted brick, I think it is safe to presume that not everyone that lives near CC may appreciate the change in decor if he/she paints the brickwork. they asked for feedback, it's what been given.
I would rather be Backpacking

#20 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Feb 17 2009, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First, I've gone back an re-read most posts and I don't see the arguing, I do see people stating their opinion.

and "to each his own"

don't people decorate their homes to be esthetically pleasing to themselves as well as to the neighborhood. If CC wants to paint their brick, it's their property, have at it, but from the # of posts on here that don't like painted brick, I think it is safe to presume that not everyone that lives near CC may appreciate the change in decor if he/she paints the brickwork. they asked for feedback, it's what been given.

Actually Coastal Cohort didn't ask for feedback (so I won't offer my opinion). This original poster asked for people to share photos of painted bricks around a fireplace.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#21 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE (Resume Lady @ Feb 17 2009, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually Coastal Cohort didn't ask for feedback (so I won't offer my opinion). This original poster asked for people to share photos of painted bricks around a fireplace.

good point. smile.gif
<3

#22 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:33 PM

bowdown.gif

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#23 rlsliger

rlsliger

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:43 PM

+100

#24 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Feb 17 2009, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and "to each his own"

you miss read my post.

"This seems a lot like anyone arguing over "---comparison--not accusation.

but thats ok.

'cause I did know what you meant in your first post. rolleyes.gif

#25 Coastal Cohort

Coastal Cohort

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:46 PM

So thank you all for affirming why I hate forums and these types of environments. My husband thought I was crazy for posting my question here. He said, "Honey, you know that they are just going to bash you." and I said, "No, they wouldn't do that. I'll make it clear that I am just looking for ideas of decorating."

And you know what? Many of you proved him right.

I really was interested in folks in my surrounding community that have painted thier fireplace brick. The responses here have disappionted me. I didn't ask for your opinion or thoughts on whether painted brick looks good, or if you would buy a house with painted brick or if you think brick is a gift from god.

I have been in this forum for awhile now, and have tried to like it, and this question was my final test - does this forum have any pratical use? Thanks for reminding me that this forum is nothing more that a forum for over-opinionated people who are more interested in spouting their opinion than answering the true question.

If I could figure out out to remove this thread I would.

I'm out of myfolsom forum...

#26 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:53 PM

awwwww.... sorry you feel that way. sad.gif
<3

#27 bv1016

bv1016

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (Coastal Cohort @ Feb 17 2009, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So thank you all for affirming why I hate forums and these types of environments. My husband thought I was crazy for posting my question here. He said, "Honey, you know that they are just going to bash you." and I said, "No, they wouldn't do that. I'll make it clear that I am just looking for ideas of decorating."

And you know what? Many of you proved him right.

I really was interested in folks in my surrounding community that have painted thier fireplace brick. The responses here have disappionted me. I didn't ask for your opinion or thoughts on whether painted brick looks good, or if you would buy a house with painted brick or if you think brick is a gift from god.

I have been in this forum for awhile now, and have tried to like it, and this question was my final test - does this forum have any pratical use? Thanks for reminding me that this forum is nothing more that a forum for over-opinionated people who are more interested in spouting their opinion than answering the true question.

If I could figure out out to remove this thread I would.

I'm out of myfolsom forum...

Bye.

Honestly, sometimes the answers are harsh, but more often than not, helpful. Amongst the opinions you got a couple straight answers... Besides who said these forums have to be practical.

If you ask a question and I have nothing valuable to offer... then I provide opinionated crap.. it keeps us all interested... and smiling, and really everything you hate is probably what keeps most of us coming back...

Thanks MyFolsom... still love ya!

just another opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users