42 replies to this topic

#31 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:27 PM

the only problem with news consolidators, like Yahoo, Google, etc., is that they gather what other major newswires produce.  Who is going to write about Sacramento news, or what is going on at the State Capitol, or at city hall in Folsom, Roseville, etc?  If you don't have local reporters investigating what is going on, you get generic nationwide, thinly written articles. 

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#32 ghost35me

ghost35me

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:38 AM

the only problem with news consolidators, like Yahoo, Google, etc., is that they gather what other major newswires produce.  Who is going to write about Sacramento news, or what is going on at the State Capitol, or at city hall in Folsom, Roseville, etc?  If you don't have local reporters investigating what is going on, you get generic nationwide, thinly written articles. 

It would be a loss to lose good investigative journalism of local issues. But I will not pay for a news source that tells me how to think, what opinions I should have and withholds facts that would enable me to form my own, informed opinion.  I want a non-partial news source. I don't want to be manipulated.  For this reason, I'm fine if the Bee fails. They should, rightfully so, as a news source. 

#33 ghost35me

ghost35me

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:44 PM

I haven't been to the Bee website for awhile. Today, I clicked on a link w/out knowing the source which takes me to the Bee website; I usually won't click a link if I know it takes me to the Bee. Pop up opens. Click on the page in the text of the article. Another pop up opens.  Many reasons to not go to the Bee. Seems like news is the last thing on their mind.

#34 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:12 PM

Newspapers have from time immemorial had editors who create a bias in their reporting.  nothing new there.  you just read it with the right filter on.  the bee may be biased, but they don't misrepresent the facts.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#35 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:27 PM

the bee may be biased, but they don't misrepresent the facts.

Well, what if you don't REPORT the facts ?? Their political coverage for 7 years has been woefully fact-less...not just nationally, but locally and state-wide. But when Bush was in office, they had their *facts* all lined-up, didn't they ??

In my opinion.

#36 ghost35me

ghost35me

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:17 PM

Newspapers have from time immemorial had editors who create a bias in their reporting.  nothing new there.  you just read it with the right filter on.  the bee may be biased, but they don't misrepresent the facts.

I can accept some bias. But when they leave out facts that could be influential in forming an independent opinion, that is not professional. When they only report certain stories that support their bias but not stories that are contrary to their bias, it's unprofessional.

I can accept some bias. But give me all the facts and both sides of the issues. They have failed repeatedly and obviously to do so. And unfortunately, it does bring down their investigative journalism efforts. Once your integrity is suspect, it affects everything you publish.

I think if they were in it for the news, the money would come. But I think they are clearly in it for the money. And the news doesn't come. And they will fail. A passion for money is a dime a dozen. A passion for news is rare and would sell.

BTW - I was a long time subscriber. Even decades ago when I was going to school in the area. But as I got older, I got tired of them telling me how to think and withholding information so that I couldn't make my own decisions / opinions. Since I had to use other sources to get the whole story, I just dropped them completely at some point.

#37 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:26 PM

I used the online subscription for about a year. I agree, way too many pop up adds that would freeze the computer, and even worse, as time went on, very few good stories. I think the Sacramento Business Journal is a much better publication, and so far, I've been checking in with the free service, but have been thinking about actually paying for the full journal.

#38 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:50 PM

I called the Sacbee today and they dropped the yearly price from $624.00 to $494.00

So we renewed for the next 6 months at $247.00 instead of $312.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#39 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:17 PM

I called the Sacbee today and they dropped the yearly price from $624.00 to $494.00

I would tell them that is not good enough-  If I an get 6 months daily for $98  ($3.80 / week) you can as well. 

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#40 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:23 PM

That is still an outrageous price. But I've always like receiving a paper newspaper. Years ago when I still lived in my home town, my mom would give me her discarded copies, that was perfect. Same thing when I lived in East Sac, we'd raid the newspaper bin for the used paper, and read for free.

#41 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:28 PM

Folsom500, I sent you a message about the SACBEE. Hope you received it.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#42 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:09 PM

I sent you a response just now

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#43 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:41 AM

I sent you a response just now

Got it.  Thanks. My wife just renewed it for the next 6 months. What a bummer....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users