8 replies to this topic

#1 Tyto Alba

Tyto Alba

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:57 AM

There was a crash this morning with a private enterprise funded space craft.    There was a report of at least one fatality.

http://rt.com/usa/20...-mojave-desert/

#2 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for sharing.

I dislike some of the cynical comments in the chat thread.

They say that private business will kill science exploration in space when private companies compete to build cheaply built space craft to make more money.

I say the two issues are separate.

Science exploration is now open to private investors and scientists for the first time.

Anyone who wants to make money taking people to space will need to compete with other companies and need to build a model that is sturdy enough to withstand multiple flights.

When people get that negative in a chat site; the first thing I think is that they must have been laid off from one of the 'downsized' NASA programs.

On a side note, I wonder how quick National Security will get involved if private exploration does manage to take scientists out and bring back samples?

#3 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:10 PM

This stuff isn't easy. The shuttle used to cost about a billion to redo after every mission. Yes a billion. Musk and Branson will also see this stuff isn't cheap, especially when you plan to add passengers to the mix. 

We all know the govt can't get anything done these days and NASA is pretty much useless so privatization was the next logical step. it will still take a while though. Meantime we can rely on the Russians to re-stock the ISS. Shameful.

#4 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:27 PM

I hate the idea that it has all come to this.  We are depending on the Russians and paying dearly for it.

We should have our own US system/shuttles to get where we are going, no matter how much it costs.

I love the way Branson thinks and his ingenuity.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#5 Tyto Alba

Tyto Alba

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:20 PM

I hate the idea that it has all come to this.  We are depending on the Russians and paying dearly for it.

We should have our own US system/shuttles to get where we are going, no matter how much it costs.

Wish more people in the USA were like Branson.      I am a big fan of Post War Jet Age Aviation.   This private enterprise project reminds me of the X-15 program from 1959 to 1968.    In the last X-15 flight in late 1967,   the aircraft/space craft went into a "supersonic spin".    The aircraft and pilot were lost.    The pilot was from Sacramento.

http://en.wikipedia...._Flight_3-65-97

#6 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:08 PM

Here's an older (2005) but excellent essay on why the space shuttle program - conceived to accelerate our journey into space - actually did the opposite.

http://idlewords.com..._to_nowhere.htm

#7 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:31 PM

Given that it was the 55th test flight, I'd say they are doing something right. Our space shuttle program had a total of 135 flights divided among six vehicles. One only had 5 test flights. So they lost 2 out of 5 shuttles in 130 flights DESPITE spending billions more dollars and over-engineering. The shuttle with the most flights only had 39 missions.

Out of 4356 rocket launches, 383 have failed. A failure rate of around 1 in 12. Getting to space is not easy. Prayers for the family of the pilot.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#8 FolsomEJ

FolsomEJ

All Star

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:49 PM

Here's an older (2005) but excellent essay on why the space shuttle program - conceived to accelerate our journey into space - actually did the opposite.

http://idlewords.com..._to_nowhere.htm

"You know you're in trouble when the Russians are adding safety features to your design."

Hilarious!!!

#9 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:35 PM

Given that it was the 55th test flight, I'd say they are doing something right. Our space shuttle program had a total of 135 flights divided among six vehicles.

This is like comparing a combine to a machete

"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users