5 replies to this topic

#1 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 05:59 PM

So I have seen monster trucks/supercross/circle track/etc many times, but I just have to say that I have recently been to two events locally that I thoroughly enjoyed. The first was at the Auburn fairgrounds. UTV racing and monster trucks. A great show, and the fair was pretty laid back and festive.  Much better than the ca state fair (IMHO).  They had monster truck rides as well...

Today, we went to the placer county fairgrounds in Roseville for another monster truck event. AN even better show with demo derby cars playing soccer with a monster truck tire, UTV racing, a jet powered golf cart, nascar type racing, and of course, monster trucks. A very nice facility in some pretty slick fairgrounds. (Bring a stadium seat cushion). They are doing another show late this evening (gates 7, show 9)

Not for those who don't like LOUD.... and there were TONS of kids there that seemed to be really enjoying themselves. 10 bucks parking, 20 at the gate for adult show ticket seemed reasonable (if paid parking is EVER reasonable). The beer was stupid. a CAN of 805 was 8 bucks.  No thanks.  At the fair in auburn, I was getting full 12 ounce wine pours (!) and 14 oz tap beers for 5 bucks.

If I want to pay golden one type prices for concessions, I will go to golden one.

Which brings me to this. The Monster Jam series is performing in January at Golden One.  While I dislike Golden One, this could be a fun event. I would prefer the smaller venues as they actually have monster trucks that you can ride in for 10 bucks (you have to do it at least once...) 

I definitely recommend any Monster truck style event as good entertainment. Then again, I love the Mather airshow as well, so it may just be that I love to have my insides shaking from the thunder of big engines...

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#2 Mays

Mays

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:35 AM

So I have seen monster trucks/supercross/circle track/etc many times, but I just have to say that I have recently been to two events locally that I thoroughly enjoyed. The first was at the Auburn fairgrounds. UTV racing and monster trucks. A great show, and the fair was pretty laid back and festive.  Much better than the ca state fair (IMHO).  They had monster truck rides as well...

Today, we went to the placer county fairgrounds in Roseville for another monster truck event. AN even better show with demo derby cars playing soccer with a monster truck tire, UTV racing, a jet powered golf cart, nascar type racing, and of course, monster trucks. A very nice facility in some pretty slick fairgrounds. (Bring a stadium seat cushion). They are doing another show late this evening (gates 7, show 9)

Not for those who don't like LOUD.... and there were TONS of kids there that seemed to be really enjoying themselves. 10 bucks parking, 20 at the gate for adult show ticket seemed reasonable (if paid parking is EVER reasonable). The beer was stupid. a CAN of 805 was 8 bucks.  No thanks.  At the fair in auburn, I was getting full 12 ounce wine pours (!) and 14 oz tap beers for 5 bucks.
If I want to pay golden one type prices for concessions, I will go to golden one.

Which brings me to this. The Monster Jam series is performing in January at Golden One.  While I dislike Golden One, this could be a fun event. I would prefer the smaller venues as they actually have monster trucks that you can ride in for 10 bucks (you have to do it at least once...) 

I definitely recommend any Monster truck style event as good entertainment. Then again, I love the Mather airshow as well, so it may just be that I love to have my insides shaking from the thunder of big engines...

Ever been to a destruction derby? Helped get a few cars ready for a derby in my past. A lot of fun to watch when they get going. Especially when the bring out old RV's and go RV against RV. Hilarious! Walls and toilets going everywhere.

#3 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:39 PM

Oh, I was at the Roseville track this last Saturday night.....!   Awesome for a short track, my first time there....!   I will be back.  Went to Riverside back in the 80's for the Winston Cup many times, Sears Point too a few times....   I am a Nascar junkie from way back....   Oh, and I have all my teeth, have a college degree, and I did not marry my sister or my first cousin, no beer belly and I do not smoke, anything.  Yep, hard to not be judged now a days.....  Anyway, love the races, races of any kind, cars, horses, go karts, bmx bikes, skateboards, turtles, off road, motorcyles, the Nürburgring ring, Daytona, whatever....   I did build a few 1/4 mile cars back in the day....   My 56 Chevy, a 400 small block, an M-21 4 speed, a 4.11 posi rear end........   I could take out many cars back in the day at the Fremont raceway......   Also had a very fast 68 VW bug, all stock looking, with a race motor in the back.   Took out many a 240Z back in the day.....  They did not know what hit them....  So much fun...   Now I just drive my store bought 485 horsepower 4 door Dodge sedan...........  My Scat Pack 392 Challenger......  Still smokes most things out there..........  On my bucket list is a week back in Daytona when I retire....  Thinking 4-5 years...  Then Fontana, Arizona, Talledegha, and upstate New York.  Also, the race track up in Portland Oregon for F-1 is very cool, been there, checked it out, not during a race but someday...?   Regards, Chris   

1A - 2A = -1A

#4 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:00 PM

Yeah, the Roseville facility is pretty sweet.  I used to go see motorcycle dirt oval racing every Thursday night in Irwindale (SoCal). They had destruction derby occasionally.  Best event I have been to was at the LA Colosseum. They had the track go right up the stands and out the parastyle at the top then do a quick 180 and launch back into the arena. They raced mx, quads, buggys, trucks and had monster trucks. Also saw similar at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. Supercross in Anaheim, and multi race at someplace in San Berdo that I can't recall. 

Used to drag race (street) out where the California speedway was later built in Ontario. Had a 69 Charger with a built 440. I used to do a lot of wrenching in those days. COurse, all my friends had late 60's muscle cars as well. There was NOTHING out there at the time, but there was a country road with a 1/4 mile marked on it. On Friday's, there would be 20-50 guys out there running for pride or money. Never saw a fight, or wreck or blown motor. Something our kids will never know..

Dodge did a great job with the Challenger re-release. 

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#5 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:20 PM

Yeah, the Roseville facility is pretty sweet.  I used to go see motorcycle dirt oval racing every Thursday night in Irwindale (SoCal). They had destruction derby occasionally.  Best event I have been to was at the LA Colosseum. They had the track go right up the stands and out the parastyle at the top then do a quick 180 and launch back into the arena. They raced mx, quads, buggys, trucks and had monster trucks. Also saw similar at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. Supercross in Anaheim, and multi race at someplace in San Berdo that I can't recall. 

Used to drag race (street) out where the California speedway was later built in Ontario. Had a 69 Charger with a built 440. I used to do a lot of wrenching in those days. COurse, all my friends had late 60's muscle cars as well. There was NOTHING out there at the time, but there was a country road with a 1/4 mile marked on it. On Friday's, there would be 20-50 guys out there running for pride or money. Never saw a fight, or wreck or blown motor. Something our kids will never know..

Dodge did a great job with the Challenger re-release. 

Love those 69 Chargers and the 440 Joe, what a great car, what a great motor....!  Drove a lot of 383's back in the day, in hotel vans, another great motor.  Drove a 426 Hemi when I worked at SFO back in the day, it was in a bus, a mini bus...   And yes, that bus was very fast.....!    Just did not take turns well....    Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#6 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:06 AM

Yeah, the 440 had a forged crank, 10.5 to 1 pistons, hemi grind cam (just shy of needing rollers) custom exhaust and ported heads and intake manifold. Tried several different carbs including a variable venturi Predator, but ended up with a worked 750 Holley with center floats (i believe) swapped accelerator pump cam and springs. My roommate was "Mr Holey," and taught me bunches about them (knowledge long since lost, although I think I do still have some  Holley power valves and gasket kits in my auto tools).   I could set off car alarms just idling down the street, and got about 8mpg if I kept my foot out of it...Soooo much fun though.

ANother buddy rebuilt commercial transmissions for a living and helped me build the tranny. It was a 727 with 2500 stall converter. Upgraded bands and clutches and a modified valve body that could still be driven as an automatic.  Bumping second at aggressive acceleration would not just chirp tires, but spin them. The nostalgia is killing me....Would sure love to have that car again...waaay out of my price range at this point.

I would consider getting a Sunbeam Alpine and dropping a 289 into it to make a faux Tiger though. That would be a fun retirement project.  There was a really nice one for sale at the Towe Auto Museum for awhile. Or maybe when my truck driving days are done, my wife will approve a Jaguar F type. Heck, at the prices for trucks these days, an F type might be cheaper...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users