#16 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Feb 29 2008, 12:53 PM) View Post
I would love to open my door at just the right moment and send lane splitters flying. I don't only because that would damage my door.

So kind...

#17 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Feb 29 2008, 12:53 PM) View Post
I don't know the exact rules of how to properly split lanes but from what I see 99% of the riders aren't doing it properly. I am very surprised, however, that I don't see more accidents from this. I do know that if a guy takes my side mirror off while getting to the front of the line he'll have a Jeep up his arse at the next light.

You don't know the rules but you know that 99% are doing it wrong????? I have removed a mirror before, on purpose even. It was the least I could do to keep from getting run over. Just so you know it's not even remotely funny talking about hitting a motorcycle rider with a car, because most times the rider ends up dead.

#18 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE(chris v @ Feb 29 2008, 01:06 PM) View Post
You don't know the rules but you know that 99% are doing it wrong????? I have removed a mirror before, on purpose even. It was the least I could do to keep from getting run over. Just so you know it's not even remotely funny talking about hitting a motorcycle rider with a car, because most times the rider ends up dead.

OK what's been told to me by my buddy who rides is that traffic is supposed to be at a stop or moving at less than 5 mph for legal lane splitting. There may be more or less to it, I'm not sure but going off those criteria, 99% of the guys don't even come close to obeying those conditions.

And could you explain what the reason for doing this is? If it's safety that becomes a moot point because doing something un-safe to be safer seem really odd to me.
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#19 Revolutionist

Revolutionist

Liposuction for the brain

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:20 PM

As a rider, I split lanes on the freeway when traffic is under 30 mph. Once it is over that, I fall back into line. I will also split lanes at stop lights and move in front of traffic, precisely as BillZ mentioned --a bike always out accelerates a car.

As a driver, I move over to give extra room, if I see the rider ahead of time.

Most officers will say, lane splitting is legal, but if an accident occurrs, it is the cyclist's fault.

In the case of drivers like you experienced, I also took to carrying 2/3's of an an axe handle to rap across the fender. Just make sure that if you use it, you don't have to stop! whip123.gif

Posted Image

#20 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Feb 29 2008, 01:14 PM) View Post
OK what's been told to me by my buddy who rides is that traffic is supposed to be at a stop or moving at less than 5 mph for legal lane splitting. There may be more or less to it, I'm not sure but going off those criteria, 99% of the guys don't even come close to obeying those conditions.

And could you explain what the reason for doing this is? If it's safety that becomes a moot point because doing something un-safe to be safer seem really odd to me.

It's below 35mph or as long as it is safe. I get pissed too, when I see some dumba$$ kid on a sportbike riding a wheelie while splitting lanes it makes all riders look bad. Why do it? Because if you can safely do it why not, especially when it's real hot out, staying moving is our air conditioning.

#21 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:23 PM

meh, riders that complain about the dangers of lane splitting would be like a person running around town balancing a bottle of nitroglycerin on his head who then gets upset people don't get out of his way fast enough lest the bottle fall and explode.

#22 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE(Revolutionist @ Feb 29 2008, 01:20 PM) View Post
Most officers will say, lane splitting is legal, but if an accident occurrs, it is the cyclist's fault.

Not always true. If it is clearly defined that the motorcycle had chosen a lane then it won't always be their fault, depending on what they were doing.

I've been known to carry a headlight adjuster when I ride my vespa.

#23 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Feb 29 2008, 01:23 PM) View Post
meh, riders that complain about the dangers of lane splitting would be like a person running around town balancing a bottle of nitroglycerin on his head who then gets upset people don't get out of his way fast enough lest the bottle fall and explode.

I'm failing to see the connection, but ok.

#24 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:31 PM

Like most of the other posts, I don't mind the lane splitting when I'm stopped. When moving, particularly at speed (30mph+) I think it is dangerous and should not be legal. It really bothers me when someone in a very loud Harley blows by me between lanes. Years ago I had some motorcycle rider yell at me to get my arm out of the way as he was coming up on me while lane splitting(my arm was out of the window)
An aside, why is it legal for a motorcycle to make 10 times the noise that a car can make? If I opened the manifolds on my car and made the same noise as most Harley's, I'd go to jail! angry.gif

#25 Jenncez

Jenncez

Your Local Scentsy & Thirty-One Consultant

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:38 PM

I don't really mind the lane splitting at a red light...except when it's a nice sunny day and the windows are rolled down and I have to listen to a loud bike and smell the exhaust until the light turns green. But driving fairly fast down the road and a motorcycle comes up fast and lane splits I get scared because 1)it's loud and I wasn't expecting it and 2)I always think to myself "Thank God I wasn't about to change lanes!! What if I had been?!?! I totally woulda ran into that guy".

Again the loudness of a bike isn't a big deal when you are ON the bike itself...thats fun! But some of those loud ones are sometimes annoying and make me jump when unexpected....which in turn could possibly cause an accident by me jumping and turning the wheel!

#26 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE(folsombound @ Feb 29 2008, 01:31 PM) View Post
An aside, why is it legal for a motorcycle to make 10 times the noise that a car can make? If I opened the manifolds on my car and made the same noise as most Harley's, I'd go to jail! angry.gif

It isn't legal... but thats a whole other argument.

#27 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:40 PM

If a person in front of you pulls over so you do not have room to go by, don't go by. Wait until later. Everyone isn't like that so if you try to squeeze by and you hit his car or he hits yours, it is your fault. Wait....
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#28 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE(Jenncez @ Feb 29 2008, 01:38 PM) View Post
I always think to myself "Thank God I wasn't about to change lanes!! What if I had been?!?! I totally woulda ran into that guy".

That is why you are supposed to look when changing lanes and not just in your mirror.

#29 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE(camay2327 @ Feb 29 2008, 01:40 PM) View Post
If a person in front of you pulls over so you do not have room to go by, don't go by. Wait until later. Everyone isn't like that so if you try to squeeze by and you hit his car or he hits yours, it is your fault. Wait....

I agree, under the right circumstances. This time I had no time to react or stop. If I am splitting lanes and come upon cars that are to close together then I stop.

#30 Warren G

Warren G

Fancy Title goes here

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Feb 29 2008, 12:43 PM) View Post
When a rice burner does and takes off faster than me, it's no problem.

"Rice burner"? I assume it's a Japanese motorcycle brand or a new kind of ethanol-fueled bike, but how did that name come about?
"Is that your bike? It sure looks fast."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users