60 replies to this topic

#1 M.E.G.

M.E.G.

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:17 AM

It seems to me that my Comcast, that I pay $64/month for is slower than my daughter's ATT internet. A lot of people I talk to that use the same programs and systems I use say they have no problem with ATT for internet. So I am seriously considering changing to ATT., based on their web site I can get speeds up to 6mbs? Course the last time I tried to order that they said it was unavailable, that was months ago and hopefully things have changed.

But, I have set up the home network system. I have 2 pc's on it, wireless set up for my laptop and wireless printer, and a xbox downstairs hooked up wireless also. I own the Linksy router that I am using, but not the modem, it is from Comcast.

My fear, and hopefully somebody can answer this, is.... Am I going to have to re-setup my whole network if I change providers? I am not a techie, I know just enough to get myself in trouble. I really don't want to spend a lot of time redoing everything.

M.E.G.

Mechelle Reasoner (formerly Gooch)

Movin'...So You Can!

Morris Williams Realty

Call or txt: 916 955-8698,

Email me

Read my blog, search for homes, find out more about Folsom at FolsomCorner.com

#2 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:19 AM

No worries. I just helped my father do the same thing last night. Reduced cost from $56 to $14.99\mth and while he has a slower speed for now, he can upgrade to faster speeds once ATT brings in Uverse early next year. Until now, he has been out of range of DSL and paying his cable companies $$$ monthly charges.

ATT ships a modem\router\AP with their kits but you can use it as modem only and continue to use your Linksys network. Just like today, your Linksys will dish out DHCP addresses to your systems and the only difference is you will connect to a different modem.

ATT offers a 30 day trial and you could run both ATT DSL and Comcast for a month to make certain it does what you need. Should be as simple as connecting Linksys into the modem you want.

#3 M.E.G.

M.E.G.

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:45 AM

Thanks Evader,

Did your father order online or call for service? And did ATT offer email forwarding service?

M.E.G.

Mechelle Reasoner (formerly Gooch)

Movin'...So You Can!

Morris Williams Realty

Call or txt: 916 955-8698,

Email me

Read my blog, search for homes, find out more about Folsom at FolsomCorner.com

#4 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:51 AM

What do you mean by "it seems slower?" In what way? Comcast internet speed is nearly 2x the ATT service. I get about 10MB/sec and that's with a similar setup to yours (several wireless laptops, etc).

Have you contacted Comcast about the issue?
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#5 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE (M.E.G. @ Dec 18 2008, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Evader,

Did your father order online or call for service? And did ATT offer email forwarding service?

M.E.G.

ATT called him to advise DSL is finally available and he signed up. When I added DSL, I did it online...real easy. I am not familiar with the email forwarding option. ATT has a utility to send an email to your email contacts advising moved ISPs and your contacts should update your email address. Is this the 'fwding" or is it something else?

#6 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (M.E.G. @ Dec 18 2008, 07:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Switch From Comcast To Att?

Why, I used to be with ATT and they sold it to Comcast. If I switched to ATT using DSL, I have no confidence they just won't sell me down the road again. Heck, I used to have ATT as my long distance provider, then it got sold, to some one else, then Pac Bell for local got bought by someone and then they in turn sold it back to ATT.

I'm in the leave it alone and do nothing mode because it's going to change hands again someday, whether I like it or not.
I would rather be Backpacking

#7 rlsliger

rlsliger

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (M.E.G. @ Dec 18 2008, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Evader,

M.E.G.

My neighbor just switched from Comcast too and he mentioned that there is an email forwarding service included.

#8 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:57 AM

DO IT! Switch now! There are no technical hurdles that could possibly outweigh the joy of leaving Comcast!
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#9 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (mylo @ Dec 18 2008, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DO IT! Switch now! There are no technical hurdles that could possibly outweigh the joy of leaving Comcast!

Except the pain when Comcast buys them out and you are back at ground zero.

#10 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (rlsliger @ Dec 18 2008, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My neighbor just switched from Comcast too and he mentioned that there is an email forwarding service included.

Is that like forever? I could switch and everyone could still send email to Bill.Z@comcast.net and I would still get my email forever?

BTW, the above email address is either fictitious or belongs to someone I have no clue as to who they really are. It's not my email address, that's for sure.

#11 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE (mylo @ Dec 18 2008, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

eggs.
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#12 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE (Darthvader @ Dec 18 2008, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
eggs.

bacon.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#13 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:23 AM

ATT, PacBell, SBC\Cingular back to ATT but so what. mylo can speak more to Comcast performance and value or lack thereof better than I can but cable internet companies charge WAY too much for their service and now cap and block.

For the price\performance, DSL is a better value.

#14 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE (eVader @ Dec 18 2008, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ATT, PacBell, SBC\Cingular back to ATT but so what. mylo can speak more to Comcast performance and value or lack thereof better than I can but cable internet companies charge WAY too much for their service and now cap and block.

For the price\performance, DSL is a better value.

That's true for my landline, but cable went from Comcast to ATT Broadband, then back to Comcast. So was cable OK when it was ATT? or is all cable bad, no matter who owns it?
Did Mylo hate ATTBI when it was them for cable?

#15 rlsliger

rlsliger

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Dec 18 2008, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is that like forever? I could switch and everyone could still send email to Bill.Z@comcast.net and I would still get my email forever?

If I remember correctly he said it was for a couple months but could be extended it he needed it. I'm tempted to switch too but the email address has been the piece holding me back. I've had my Comcast address for about 7 years now and don't want to let go!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users