33 replies to this topic

#1 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:43 PM

I am debating downgrading the laptop to XP from the current VISTA. The reason for this madness??? My wife's work can only grant VPN access via XP and is not compatable with VISTA.

I know there are some serioyus techies out here. What are the potential risks or downside to downgrading to XP?

I know windows 7 is coming out also and the Mrs work is about 1-2 years away to upgrade to Vista. So, this switch to XP may be a temporary one.

#2 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:47 PM

Scrap Vista. Virtualize 7 and XP.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#3 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE (palango @ Aug 26 2009, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am debating downgrading the laptop to XP from the current VISTA. The reason for this madness??? My wife's work can only grant VPN access via XP and is not compatable with VISTA.

I know there are some serioyus techies out here. What are the potential risks or downside to downgrading to XP?

I know windows 7 is coming out also and the Mrs work is about 1-2 years away to upgrade to Vista. So, this switch to XP may be a temporary one.

Not sure I'd call going back to XP a downgrade. I also can never see the day any serious business or corporate environment would switch to Vista, ever. It just won't happen.

Win7 will be a huge winner but if you need to go back to XP for a while I see little or no risk at all in doing this. Back-up all the data of course!
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#4 dlutz

dlutz

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

Agree with Mylo.

Just remember that newer machine's may not be able to downgrade to XP. If the Bios doesn't allow you to disable SATA, you might have a little work cut out for you.

Otherwise lobby the wife's work to upgrade to something compatible with 7, it's by far the best windows OS I've used.

#5 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:21 PM

Great points. XP it is. Now I have my fingers crossed because I am not sure if our Costco HP laptop may not allow us to downgrade as dlutz mentions above. Time to call Costco Conceirge services. It beats reading the darn manual.

#6 dlutz

dlutz

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:26 PM

If it's a newer HP, you might have some trouble. Check your BIOS settings and see if it will let you disable SATA Support. If so, you should be good to go, otherwise it's a can of worms you are going to be opening...

#7 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE (dlutz @ Aug 26 2009, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agree with Mylo.

Just remember that newer machine's may not be able to downgrade to XP. If the Bios doesn't allow you to disable SATA, you might have a little work cut out for you.

Otherwise lobby the wife's work to upgrade to something compatible with 7, it's by far the best windows OS I've used.

What new machine won't XP run on? Dell and everybody else still delivers laptops today with XP. I don't get what you are saying.

And they only may have BIOS support for SATA drives? I doubt that, can you explain?
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#8 dlutz

dlutz

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (Darthvader @ Aug 26 2009, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What new machine won't XP run on? Dell and everybody else still delivers laptops today with XP. I don't get what you are saying.

And they only may have BIOS support for SATA drives? I doubt that, can you explain?

I know HP has a deal with Microsoft or something. They still sell the XP downgrade option on their business lines for obvious reasons, but only sell Vista on their consumer lines.

Early in the game HP BIOS (I think they still use Phoenix) had the option to diable/enable native SATA support. As of a couple of years ago, that option is no longer available which makes it difficult to do a fresh install of XP which doesn't have the SATA drivers.

There are work-arounds but from what I've read, they're hit or miss.

#9 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (palango @ Aug 26 2009, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Put on Ubuntu, then virtualize both Win 7 and XP to play with both

if you have to choose one, go with XP... and consider it an upgrade from Vista- no downsides from going to xp, other then your system running better and being more stable smile.gif

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#10 GFFmatt

GFFmatt

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:02 PM

I have no problem with XP.

BUT...I have Vista Ultimate 64 running on my editing rig and it's awesome. I've had no problems and it looks great. Do I just not experience the bad points in Vista because my actions are limited to filmmaking activities?

I just run Adobe Master Suite, Sony Vegas, Office 07 and a couple of other related things on an i7 with 12GB of DDR3. If that makes a difference.

#11 uberman

uberman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts
  • Interests:All things related to nothing.

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:33 PM

Windows XP is the best Windows operating system on the market today (7 isn't quite out yet.)

I still recommend Xp to my clients, and still run XP on my mac with boot camp (rather than the RC of 7.)

You shouldn't have any problems with XP. It's a highly mature operating system. It will last you well into a year after Windows 7 comes out (and software developers stop supporting XP,) which they will do.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.” - Sinclair Lewis

#12 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:57 PM

The verdict is in and IT folks have overwhelmingly favored my downgrading to XP. Now the question is do I go to Best Buy or Frys to purchase XP? Is it worth to dish out a few hundred bux only to upgrade again to Windows 7 in 18-24 months?

#13 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (palango @ Sep 1 2009, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The verdict is in and IT folks have overwhelmingly favored my downgrading to XP. Now the question is do I go to Best Buy or Frys to purchase XP? Is it worth to dish out a few hundred bux only to upgrade again to Windows 7 in 18-24 months?

too bad its not free like Ubuntu is... damn shame to have to waste a few hundred on it when 7 will be the way to go pretty soon

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#14 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (davburr @ Sep 1 2009, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
too bad its not free like Ubuntu is... damn shame to have to waste a few hundred on it when 7 will be the way to go pretty soon

I have one of my laptops with Vista- Can I convert to Ubuntu on it and not loose my data ? Also will other programs such as Picasa , and google chrome, etc work in it ?

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#15 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:44 PM

This ubuntu thing has been suggested to me by vrious people, but that sounds like more complex than I can handle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users