#16 JLS

JLS

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (davburr @ Apr 19 2010, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In all seriousness though for John - here's a link to a good comparison between the two devices

Except for the fact that the info there is outdated severely for both phones and then even further outdated in a month or so... But I appreciate that whoever wrote the article was trying to be even-steven.

LearnShootInspire.com
Learn Shoot Inspire on Facebook

#17 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:11 PM

In my opinion the Colecovision has the Atari totally beat but I hear there's going to be some new system from Japan soon
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#18 JLS

JLS

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE (eVader @ Apr 19 2010, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW the tech forums and hot deals sites often use the term "fanboy" which is:

1) a person considered to belong to one or more fandoms to a point of obsession
2) one who always has to have the latest "x" product upon release just because company "x" made it ignoring or arguing against legitimate faults raised by others.
3) one who through rose colored glasses can only praise a product or company and will never consider the abilities of competing products, companies or devices as being as good or superior than their brand.

It's basically a name-calling insult these days. Pretty much any owner of an Apple product is considered a fanboy by any non-apple techie who actually knows that term as long as they say they are happy with their product. If you bought your first mac a year ago, told somebody else that you liked it and have had no problems... a person would call you a fanboy indicating that you overlook any fault on the planet and will blindly purchase anything the Apple makes. A long time ago when apple was a dying breed this was the true case for quite a few people, but now as they have grown to be the most popular brand on the planet... I think there is more behind their products then blind faith and fanboyism. Now that term is just a pathetic taunt that techies use to try and make themselves feel superior while putting down anybody else's opinions.

Anyways, it's silly. No reason to call a general crowd that. When Toyota was so big and everybody loved them I never once heard the term about that. Windows and Linux power users are more obsessed then anybody but they never get labeled the term. It's grade-school, it really is.
Not certain it applies to JLS because while a fan of Apple products hasnt been obessed and has posted faults.

I'm a tech nerd and wannabe web developer (really just do it on the side). I own just about every apple product there is because that's what I've learned to purchase. Just like I'm a Toyota man (not sure what to do now though...yikes!). But I don't think it does anybody good to act like a product is perfect and not point out their faults at the same time. You should hear me about me.com online service... I could complain your freaking ear off! Anyways, I'm so off topic and rambling I don't even know why I'm talking at this point so...
LearnShootInspire.com

#19 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE (JLS @ Apr 19 2010, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's basically a name-calling insult these days. ... Now that term is just a pathetic taunt that techies use to try and make themselves feel superior while putting down anybody else's opinions.

Not really. I work directly in the technology industry and am around software geeks, hardware nerds, and various other pocket-protector types. I know plenty of self-proclaimed "fanboys". If you take your web development hobby to the next step, you'll find this out for yourself.

QUOTE (JLS @ Apr 19 2010, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyways, it's silly. No reason to call a general crowd that. ...

For the record.... I was correctly referring to fanboys on both sides of the debate that jump on various forums on the interwebs and claim that either phone is the best and the other one is pure garbage. I apologize if you thought I was specifically referring to and attacking you.

Carry on...
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#20 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:41 AM

QUOTE (eVader @ Apr 19 2010, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even though I have used many PalmOS and WinMo devices years ago, I find it interesting and humorous that no one has proposed them.

Those, along with blackberry, are pretty much obsolete in the general market. Blackberry and the new Win7 phones have a small market for people with specific needs, but there just really is no comparison for the typical person that wants a badass mobile device.

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#21 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:06 AM

for what it's worth, I don't plan on checking work email on it as it's not allowed; I am due to upgrade my phone. I have an iPod Touch now (I love it) and from what I can tell, the added capability is phone, internet anywhere (not just hot spots), and camera. I suppose I'd just have more uses for it. I do plan on making a MyFolsom app sometime in the near future, after we upgrade the site.

#22 JLS

JLS

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE (SacKen @ Apr 20 2010, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not really. I work directly in the technology industry and am around software geeks, hardware nerds, and various other pocket-protector types. I know plenty of self-proclaimed "fanboys". If you take your web development hobby to the next step, you'll find this out for yourself.

I do work directly with the tech industry and have a side business in web development for larger corporations...
LearnShootInspire.com

#23 JLS

JLS

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE (john @ Apr 20 2010, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
for what it's worth, I don't plan on checking work email on it as it's not allowed; I am due to upgrade my phone. I have an iPod Touch now (I love it) and from what I can tell, the added capability is phone, internet anywhere (not just hot spots), and camera. I suppose I'd just have more uses for it. I do plan on making a MyFolsom app sometime in the near future, after we upgrade the site.

Well, is there anything you want that the iPod touch you have and love doesn't have? Unless your a techie that likes to have different types of gadgets to play with then unless there is something that the droid has and iphone doesn't that you want... I'd suggest sticking with the same thing. Then you don't have to purchase the same app twice (ipod touch and droid), sync in 2 different ways, etc...

The ipod touch is cool but restricts you in alot of ways that the iphone doesn't due to 3G and probably the age of the ipod touch (not sure). The new iPhone will have a better camera etc too I believe so don't buy one now as it will be released June (if you can hold off).
LearnShootInspire.com

#24 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:27 AM

I'm not much of a gadget person although I have an iPod Touch (1st gen) and a Moto Droid (although not perfect, I much prefer Verizon over other service providers). Have had the Touch for awhile and the Droid is new.

In any case, here's my perspective:

1) There are some good apps available for both but in my opinion, most apps are just junk (either in scope and/or quality)

2) I have found that the 3GS / WiFi and rendering speeds of the Moto Droid is considerably faster than the iPod Touch / iPhone (friends and family have an iPhone).

3) Moto Droid seems to have a better display -- seems more vivid and crisp

4) The recent version if iTunes / iPod Touch SW have completely cratered its key usages. It used to work acceptably but now: 1) I can't synch all my music; 2) I can no longer synch Outlook (it 'synch' for 45 minutes but then nothing is updated); 3) It takes 10 minutes to backup (when it used to take 1-2). Forums are indicating a number of people w/ the same issue.

5) I like the Nav and Media docking stations for the Droid.

6) I like the keyboard on the Droid and the ability to use IME keyboards.

Don't get me wrong; I like both devices and they both have advantages over the other. But I seem to have more complaints about the Touch as I write this. As this is my first Apple product since the early generations of the Macintosh (back in the '80s), I'm fairly disappointed in the quality of their products. I expected much more. I may have more complaints w/ the Droid later. But for now, all things considered, I'd probably keep the Droid over an iPhone.

#25 JLS

JLS

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:23 AM

You mention your friends having the phones and some of your points may be true... but I can tell you as a 1st gen iPod touch owner and a iphone 3GS, there is little comparison. We are almost at the 4th generation of the iphone and half the stuff for the iphone doesn't work for the ipod touch. There is no 3G, no camera, etc, etc, etc.

LearnShootInspire.com

#26 Dat Orc Homey

Dat Orc Homey

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (Darth Lefty @ Apr 19 2010, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In my opinion the Colecovision has the Atari totally beat but I hear there's going to be some new system from Japan soon

Intellivision hater!
Rollin deep in a Lincoln

#27 slowthegrowth

slowthegrowth

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:37 PM

The iPhone is a good computer but a crappy phone. Droid does it all!

#28 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:29 PM

great discussion. I think I may wait for the next-gen iPhone. My iPod is working great and I like my Moto Razr. However the next gen iPhone looks like it will be pretty snappy, even if I have to wait a year.

#29 JLS

JLS

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (john @ Apr 20 2010, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
great discussion. I think I may wait for the next-gen iPhone. My iPod is working great and I like my Moto Razr. However the next gen iPhone looks like it will be pretty snappy, even if I have to wait a year.

Wait a year? It should be shipping in June alittle over a month from now. That's the typical life cycle and AT&T employees are already blocked from vacationing in June...
LearnShootInspire.com

#30 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:22 AM

Looks like the Droid is becoming more and more like an iphone - now they are doing away with the keyboard so they could make it smaller....

Verizon Wireless is releasing a new version of its Droid smartphone on April 29, and eWEEK Labs got an early look at the devices. The Droid Incredible, which is made by HTC, offers a better touch screen than the original Droid (see our review here,) but does away with the slide-out keyboard. There's also a faster processor and more standard memory. New with the Droid Incredible is support for policy-based management through ActiveSync.

Because of its lack of a physical keyboard, the Droid Incredible is thinner and lighter than the original Droid. The Incredible seems to work better as a phone, but like the original Droid, it suffers from lackluster WiFi, WAN and FM radio reception. For a look at the Droid Incredible in action, check out the slide gallery below, and stay tuned for eWEEK Labs' full review of the device, coming soon.

Full Article

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users