46 replies to this topic

#31 JLS

JLS

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:07 AM

Engadget does a good review on it. Interesting what they say about the flash that ships with it as well as battery life with the running widgets. Read the article though, there is alot of big +'s they point out and a few solid negatives. It's kind of funny that so many people used the physical keyboard as a plus and then now they remove it to match the iphone. Maybe that was more of a negative or maybe they are about to piss alot of people off. Either-way it makes for a really interesting battle of the phones while we wait for the iphone. Personally I think this will speed up Apples keynote show to reveal what the iphone will be offering before any possible sales slip.

http://www.engadget....redible-review/

Tell you what though, if I got that phone... the 1st thing I'd be trying to do is find a way to scratch off that unnecessary ugly verizon logo that makes the phone look like a cheepo...
LearnShootInspire.com
Learn Shoot Inspire on Facebook

#32 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (john @ Apr 20 2010, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
for what it's worth, I don't plan on checking work email on it as it's not allowed; I am due to upgrade my phone. I have an iPod Touch now (I love it) and from what I can tell, the added capability is phone, internet anywhere (not just hot spots), and camera. I suppose I'd just have more uses for it. I do plan on making a MyFolsom app sometime in the near future, after we upgrade the site.

With a personally owned iPhone you can get Exchange calendar/contacts sync which is very nice to have. Part of DID now aka free.

#33 stangage70

stangage70

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE (eVader @ Apr 21 2010, 09:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With a personally owned iPhone you can get Exchange calendar/contacts sync which is very nice to have. Part of DID now aka free.

This is one of the reasons I am happy to have an iPhone over the Droid. Neither is perfect, but I get much benefit with the exchange sync - professionally and personally.

Those who want to use Google Voice will find that Apple's paranoia against Google has it denying the app for this product.

Whatever you get now will be obsolete before the 2-year term is over.

#34 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:45 PM

The Incredible is not a Droid with the keyboard removed as if Motorola was ripping it off to be more like an iPhone because the keyboard was a mistake or something. There are already several Android OS based phones out there with no keyboard. Many are from HTC. This is just the newest HTC Android phone to replace some of their older Android v1 phones. The Incredible is pretty much the Google Nexus One with HTC's UI sitting on top of the OS.

The Droid does support syncing with exchange. The default mail client is kinda weak, but it works. Power users tend to purchase an app that is a much better exchange client.
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#35 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (stangage70 @ Apr 21 2010, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is one of the reasons I am happy to have an iPhone over the Droid. Neither is perfect, but I get much benefit with the exchange sync - professionally and personally.

Those who want to use Google Voice will find that Apple's paranoia against Google has it denying the app for this product.

Whatever you get now will be obsolete before the 2-year term is over.

Perfect example of the illogical Apple-tude and policies. They approved Voice then banned it...yeah that makes sense and looks smart and fair as a corporation. This is one reason jailbreaking is there.

#36 FolsomH2O

FolsomH2O

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:34 PM

John, you could always wait for the 4G Evo from Sprint.

#37 stangage70

stangage70

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE (SacKen @ Apr 21 2010, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Droid does support syncing with exchange. The default mail client is kinda weak, but it works. Power users tend to purchase an app that is a much better exchange client.

In my case, I use my employers Exchange server. I have the choice of iPhone, Blackberry, or Windows Mobile for this. The Droid is not currently a supported option.

I don't doubt that there is a viable Droid app for this however.

#38 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:30 AM

Google Android 2.2 to Support Flash, Going Where Apple Won't

Google's Andy Rubin told The New York Times that Android 2.2, or Froyo, will fully support Adobe's Flash technology. The position stands in stark contrast to Apple, which has eschewed Flash for its iPhone and iPad. In case it wasn't clear before, there is a new crusade among the mobile Web, or rather an old crusade with newer players, with Apple unapologetically waving the proprietary flag and Google taking up the open mantle.

Google's Android director has confirmed that Android 2.2, the forthcoming version of the company's operating system for smartphones, tablets and netbooks, will support Adobe's Flash technology at launch.

Flash is the industry standard for multimedia on the Web. Apple has staunchly refused to support the technology for both its popular iPhone and new iPad tablet computer. Enter Google and Android, whose multiple iterations are seeing strong adoption even as they confound application developers and consumers for the fragmentation they represent.

Andy Rubin, the vice president for engineering at Google who spearheaded the creation of Android after selling the same-named company to Google in 2005, told the New York Times that Android 2.2, code-named Froyo, will fully support Flash.

This should ensure that Websites written in Flash will run smoothly on Android 2.2 devices without developers having to rewrite the Websites to accommodate Android.

Perhaps more interesting was Rubin's comment about the support. Sometimes being open "means not being militant about the things consumers are actually enjoying," he told the Times.

It's tough to accurately divine intent from this context without a full transcription of the conversation, but it seems that Rubin is taking a shot at Apple.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs has shown disdain for Flash and even Adobe, which he has described as "lazy." Jobs and Co. have publicly endorsed HTML5 for Web multimedia, a position the company holds in common with Google.

Apple lit Adobe's fuse April 8 when it unveiled the new iPhone Developer Program License Agreement, which has been revised for the company's iPhone 4.0, slated to appear in June. Specifically, Apple's Clause 3.3.1 notes:

"Applications may only use Documented APIs in the manner prescribed by Apple and must not use or call any private APIs. Applications must be originally written in Objective-C, C, C++, or JavaScript as executed by the iPhone OS WebKit engine, and only code written in C, C++, and Objective-C may compile and directly link against the Documented APIs..."

Rubin's comments to the Times stand in stark contrast to Apple's positioning not only on Flash, but with respect to the app programming industry at large.

"We use the same tools we expect our third-party developers to," Rubin told the Times. "We have an SDK we give to developers and when we write our Gmail app, we use the same SDK. A lot of guys have private APIs. We don't. That's on policy and on technology. If there's a secret API to hook into billing system we open up that billing system to third parties. If there's a secret API to allow application multitasking, we open it up. There are no secret APIs. That is important to highlight for Android sake. Open is open and we live by our own implementations."

Note Rubin specifically said Google has no private APIs, the very same application hooks Apple is outlawing on the iPhone.

What Google's Android team builds for its own use, it frees up to others. What Apple builds, it builds for itself and protects it fiercely with restrictions. And when application programmers write software for Apple's App Store, they must follow that company's regimen and processes to the letter.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#39 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:49 AM

I do agree that Flash is a cancer on the internet and hope HTML5 will slowly kill it. However, it ain't going anywhere for a while and it is everywhere right now. Not being able to watch video clips on news sites, etc., really sucks. You don't realize how much that stuff is part of your internet usage until it is gone. I think the attitude Apple is having lately is the same one that killed their chance to be the dominant force in the PC market. Being an isolationist doesn't work in the long run when you have the rest of the industry working against you.
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#40 JLS

JLS

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:12 AM

Trying not to sound too overwhelmingly apple here but...

Droid is simply a phone. Apple has the iPhone, iPod, and iPad now all being the "must have" device (not meaning that Droid isn't).

Web developers HAVE and WILL be going out of their way to be sure their sites work on the iPad and iPhone. If they don't... they are idiots as thats growing to be a HUGE part of the market. If it works on the iPad, iPod, and iPhone then it works on Droid as well. So it's best to make something work for them and you get Droid with it. Vica-Versa and you only got yourself a Droid compatible site shutting out a large amount of users. Most major newspapers, news stations, video sites, etc are all embracing what Apple says promptly because they want their sites to be a great experiance to those consumers with those products as they are now major players. I guess what I'm trying to say is... things are actually moving fast at this point. Whether or not the Droid gets Flash really doesn't matter too much. Even if they were to some how dominate it would still leave the iPhone and iPad a priority to develop for. At this point it just makes sense to develop new stuff towards the HTML5, Java, and H.264. Whether or not you pick Apple or Adobes side is irrelevant for the most part.

Lets also realize that although we see this as Apple "bullying", this is nothing new. If it wasn't for them strong arming the music industry, tv industry, phone industry, etc etc etc for the past several years then we wouldn't have the products that we all know and love today. That's not only Apple products but most the competitors and their services as well. Apple laid ALOT of groundwork off that bullying.

Apple hasn't lost their chance at being the dominate in the PC industry either. At the moment their product ecosystem is a very powerful force. It will only grow even faster now with the ipads.
LearnShootInspire.com

#41 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:59 AM

Despite what Apple fans and Steve Jobs thinks, Apple is not the entire driving force for all things on the Internet.

Far more people are using PCs to access the Internet then iPhone and ipad users.

Steve Jobs is high if he thinks he can change the entire industry to cater entirely to Apple handheld devices

Don't get me wrong, I love my iphone but it's not a pc replacement

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#42 JLS

JLS

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE (davburr @ Apr 30 2010, 05:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Despite what Apple fans and Steve Jobs thinks, Apple is not the entire driving force for all things on the Internet.

Far more people are using PCs to access the Internet then iPhone and ipad users.

Steve Jobs is high if he thinks he can change the entire industry to cater entirely to Apple handheld devices

Don't get me wrong, I love my iphone but it's not a pc replacement

I think your missing the point. I don't think anybody including Jobs thinks that iphones and ipads are the mass majority of the internet. But if your a web developer or a business looking for more business then it's important to grip every last person/browser/os you can. Everything counts and right now there is a TON of focus on portables so... it's an important area to have covered. Very important.

Now M$ has chimed in an awkward unclear view of it's standings on the matter:

http://blogs.msdn.co...tml5-video.aspx

Although I gotta say, I wish Microsoft would just hid their opinions on this one. They have clearly shown in my mind that they should have no say in what goes on with the web at all. There is absolutely nothing worse out there then Internet Explorer....
LearnShootInspire.com

#43 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:15 AM

But JLS you too appear to miss the point - Adobe has made Flash a major component of the web regardless if it is a superior product or not. Secondly it is rolling out versions beyond the PC hitting the smartphone market except one...iPhone.

As an iPhone user, I want Steve Jobs to sleep this grudge match off because I want Flash on my device. Why stubbornly refuse to allow what is now a common web component on the device? Sure, say html5 is better and is the future and Adobe needs to make Flash more efficient etc but it is either an ego trip, grudge match or stupidity for Apple and the turtle-necked one to continue down this path.

Give the customers what they want! Make them happy! Encourage even more sales of a great product. Evangelize on the side.

#44 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE (FolsomH2O @ Apr 21 2010, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
John, you could always wait for the 4G Evo from Sprint.

Out of curiousity-- what does a CDMA EVdO mean? My sprint phone is Moment (3G? I think) and I just don't get why people here disregard it?

I don't have any of the hassles of customer service issues with AT&T or Verizon.

I love my phone.

Though, I have never actually read the instructions guide-so I am still learning new things that it does.

Like--holy mackerel, how did I get 4 storage compartments for photos? kinda cool. Haven't figured out the video things, yet. and I don't use blue tooth (what's the point of that?).
One thing I miss from my previous very simple phone...the little red light blinking that told me if I had message I haven't seen yet. Sheesh, I really miss that!

ps....my kid wants to know if I will get her a phone like mine.....

like, NO! I am not getting her a phone that can open multiple browsers at the same time! yikes...Thank goodness I pay for unlimited data...

okay-one gripe though...when in the heck is someone out there gonna figure out that all these phone companies are completely gouging us? air time is air time is air time. What difference does it make if it is data share, texting or talking? why isn't it just one plain old bill? seems like double, triple or quadruple billing for services if you ask me.....

#45 JLS

JLS

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE (eVader @ May 1 2010, 08:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But JLS you too appear to miss the point

No, my last comment was in regards to what davburr just posted that spoke about Apple being "high" if they think they could pull off such a play. My post is just stating that I believe they aren't. They have strong footing in such an argument and are proving it with a large amount of the major websites switching. Now even M$ has chimed in. My comments or davburr's didn't include IF they SHOULD be doing this but merely CAN they (as far as I can read).

Lets not be confused with my standpoints on it too much. I'm FOR what apple is doing as I would like to see Flash out of existance but I do 100% agree that all this really comes down to the aged old Apple/Adobe war and not all the lines inbetween. Although Apple is correct that flash sucks, will drain batterylife, crash, not work great due to all the hover effects associated etc, Apples true motive has nothing to do with that. And so you don't think I'm too pro-job's... here is my blog entry from Thursday that gives my perspective on Jobs recent open letter about Flash.

QUOTE ("JLS - Thoughts on Job's letter towards Adobe")
While I agree with alot of points Jobs makes about Flash for the iPhone I would also like to call his bluff on one comment a little bit.

Here is the latest open letter from Mr. Jobs:

http://www.apple.com...ughts-on-flash/

Now, in this article he states:

"Adobe has been painfully slow to adopt enhancements to Apple’s platforms. For example, although Mac OS X has been shipping for almost 10 years now, Adobe just adopted it fully (Cocoa) two weeks ago when they shipped CS5. Adobe was the last major third party developer to fully adopt Mac OS X."

At the WWDC in June 2007 was when Apple just finally spilled the beans that they would be dropping all support for Carbon 64 in their next OS. Prior to that I believe it was even advertised on Apples site or in a keynote that Carbon 64 WOULD be included and Adobe had full plans on shipping CS4 Creative Suite in 64. Adobe had to rewrite MILLIONS of lines of code at that point making one of the biggest transitions ever for a software company.

I do believe they dragged their feet a bit on this but in reality... we should be pointing a finger at Apple for blindsiding developers on this whole Carbon/Cocoa issue.

Now, Apples bigger bluff. Lets look at this part again:

"Mac OS X has been shipping for almost 10 years now, Adobe just adopted it fully (Cocoa) two weeks ago when they shipped CS5. Adobe was the last major third party developer to fully adopt Mac OS X.""

Well, now what about Apple? Is Apples own Final Cut Studio solid Cocoa yet? Unless I missed an update Final Cut Studio is still riddled with Carbon, restraining the unvailing of a FCS 64 bit advantage via Snow Leopard. I believe all this came down to Apples Quicktime not being Cocoa until Quicktime X. So correct me in places I'm wrong people but I believe Apple is actually just as slow IF NOT SLOWER then ANYBODY at adopting and embracing OS X "fully".

Now, I am all for the pushing of H.264, HTML 5, and Java as I think Flash is garbage. Flash lite has got HORRIBLE reviews for consuming battery life and being lame. So I'm not pro flash for the iPhone but I do believe Apple finally has an upper hand on Adobe and playing the "injured bird" routine. Apple could allow Flash and the world wouldn't implode. This is a long war between the two companies and consumers are just stuck in the middle.

One last point. In the letter he mentions "mouse over hovers" not existing in iPhone land. I agree that on such a small device as the iphone implementing such a feature would cause a little bit of a headache. BUT, I think we developers should be able to test their sites and choose their own OS, Browser, and Device compatibilities. On the ipad and iphone all they would have to do is simply put a little button by the bookmarks button in Safari that's called a "rollover state button" or something. When it's activated it locks the current web screen so your finger can glide across a navbar menu and view any drop downs or roll overs... Just a thought. I admit it would overall be best to not include such things when developing a website for devices but alot of us want our site to take advantage of normal PC browser/mouse technologies still without having to write 2 completely separate websites.

LearnShootInspire.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users