MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:01 AM

We keep losing the connection to the wireless modem (I think). Try to load a web page and get a msg indicating that the server is unavailable. Run network diags on the imac and it reestablishes a connection and all is good for a few min. It is getting worse all the time. It doesn't matter what web site we are trying to connect to. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

#2 5hannon

5hannon

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:54 PM

I live in Briggs Ranch and have uVerse (love it, BTW) and we're having no issues with our service.

#3 DalOwnerX3

DalOwnerX3

Fuzzy Folsomite

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:37 PM

Sometimes you may need to reboot the wireless modem to set it back on track. I used to do that for my old modem. However, I don't know how the Uverse-provided wireless modem is overall. I have Uverse but decided to keep using my old wireless modem.

#4 mando

mando

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:00 PM

I'd been having problems with my Uverse Residential Gateway WiFi function as well... it seemed like the DHCP function was at fault. Although a wireless connection could be established, the DHCP function did not issue IP addresses after leases expired - or something like that. This seemed to affect certain devices (iPods, smartphones, eReader, Xbox) more than others (PCs). Huge PITA. My regular workaround was to jiggle the WiFi settings whenever things weren't working - disabling/enabling WiFi Protected Setup seemed to do the trick, although I still had to do this every other day or so.

The other day, I did a factory reset to see if that would help. So far, so good, although I expect the problem to crop up again down the road. To do a factory reset, push the small red button on the gateway down until it reboots. THIS WILL CLEAR OUT ALL YOUR SETTINGS. Be sure to have the password handy (on my unit, it was on a sticker), along with any information on settings you might have customized, e.g., SSID, IP ranges, filtered MAC addresses, etc.

See this link: http://www.uverseuse...e;topic=15856.0

One other thing to consider... there might be radio interference issues from cordless phones and other devices in the vicinity. Try a different WiFi channel.

#5 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:22 PM

From my experience with the Uverse RGs mando and Dal have good advice. It is most likely that POS Moto gateway/wireless access point that while wired connections work fine, wireless clients fail to either associate to the AP or fail to establish a valid connection either failing to get an IP address or appearing to have an IP but can't route any traffic. I too have seen issues especially with iPhone and MacBookPro and WinXP systems but not so much from the Win7 notebooks in the house.

1. reset your router by disconnecting the power then reconnecting after 30-60 seconds. Check wireless connections and if OK for more than a day or two you are set (for awhile).
2. Check the wireless channel the AT&T tech setup your Uverse RG to. Despite the belief there are 11 channels in the US for 802.11b and g, there are only 3 non overlapping channels available - 1, 6, and 11. If someone is on 3 and you are set for 1, you may have interference if they are close enough and will cause your Mac to disassociate from your AP and seek out another or re-associate to your network again or cause packet loss (communication between your Mac and the router get lost). Easy way to check WLAN info on a Mac is to hit the Option key and click on AirPort signal icon and instead of it showing basic wireless info, it will also show you the details of the AP you are connected to with Signal strength, channel and more. Signal and channel are the important ones here. If not on 1, 6, or 11, then change it on the ATT RG settings. Your Mac will automatically reassociate to your RG again. If you want to see what nearby WiFi channels are in use, two free (and safe and legal) WiFi sniffers are KisMAC and iStumbler. It will show in detail what channels and signal strength is around you.

PS - check your wireless security settings from your Mac and ensure you have WPA or WPA2 for wireless LAN security and certainly NOT using WEP. The latter can be decrypted fairly quick and while WEP is better than nothing, changing it to WPA/WPA2 is very easy

Hope this helps but let me know if you have questions

#6 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:28 AM

With all U-verse devices, I find that a periodic reboot keeps them working well. AT&T is constantly improving (?) U-verse and do a lot of software updates without telling you. Sometimes it's on their side and the gateway gets funky. Sometimes it's on the DVR/set-top boxes and they get wonky until you reboot. They are Windows-based, after all!

I've never had to do a full factory reset of the gateway. I did have to manually change to a channel other than the default once. I'm guessing that a neighbor went live on the same channel. I was having the same symptoms as MSgt when that happened. My wireless connection get dropping. Changing the channel fixed it, though.
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#7 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:04 AM

Thanks everyone - I rebooted the router. It seem to make things much better except att email server is not working from time to time (can't find server). If I send out on gmail it works perfect all the time (ICalendar).

#8 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:49 PM

This is an ongoing problem for my AT&T wi-Fi (via DSL). It's funny because the entire internet isn't down, just certain websites...like following a story on Sac Bee. When I finally get sick of it, I reboot the router as described above. It's ok for a while, then back to the same old story.

It is especially bad around midnight. That's always my "time to go to bed" cue.

#9 Adamal

Adamal

Web Geek

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:54 PM

With all U-verse devices, I find that a periodic reboot keeps them working well. AT&T is constantly improving (?) U-verse and do a lot of software updates without telling you. Sometimes it's on their side and the gateway gets funky. Sometimes it's on the DVR/set-top boxes and they get wonky until you reboot. They are Windows-based, after all!

I've never had to do a full factory reset of the gateway. I did have to manually change to a channel other than the default once. I'm guessing that a neighbor went live on the same channel. I was having the same symptoms as MSgt when that happened. My wireless connection get dropping. Changing the channel fixed it, though.

Yeah when I first signed up for U-verse the gateway was pretty solid. It has also been better lately but somewhere in between they've done updates that just make it stink. I don't use the wireless functionality, I hooked up my D-Link to it instead to deal with wifi, it tends to be more stable.

#10 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:59 PM

I find Comcast to be far superior to AT&T. You don't have to reset your modem every other day and 20mb/sec works for me. I know some people hate Comcast and would rather live with the AT&T trouble but that's their choice.

#11 rpo

rpo

Hall Of Famer

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:42 PM

I find Comcast to be far superior to AT&T. You don't have to reset your modem every other day and 20mb/sec works for me. I know some people hate Comcast and would rather live with the AT&T trouble but that's their choice.

The only problem with either service is they charge and arm and a leg for service faster than 6mb.

#12 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:03 AM

I don't have internet problems, but my TV sure does get choppy now and then.

Like a skipping record.

#13 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:44 AM

I've never once had to reset my AT&T modem, but 3mb/s does suck.
But then again, I'm not willing to pay 70 bucks a month for 20mb/s, I don't download pirated movies and music very often, like most of the folks who need the super high download speeds.

#14 mando

mando

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:53 AM

For most folks, the difference between 3mbps and 12mbps is not even perceptible in daily use. It does come in handy in a household where multiple people are downloading large files (iTunes) or streaming video (Hulu, Netflix). The bigger differentiator for me is upload speed... for posting photos or videos online.

#15 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:14 PM

I've had both. The AT&T DVR is far superior to Comcast and makes rebooting worth it. I only have to reboot maybe once every 4-6 months, not "every other day". A couple times a year I would have to reboot the Comcast modem, too. The internet is really flaky as well. You may not notice it doing normal web browsing, but try doing something that depends on the reliability, like VPN, video conferencing, Live Meeting, etc. Comcast would break the connection several times a day. With AT&T, I've never had the connection break, even after several days of being connected. Just try going to the Windows cmd prompt and run something like "ping google.com" and you'll see how bad Comcast can be.
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users