Photo
- - - - -

Kids Play Park Late Night Teen Hang-out & Grafitti

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

Poll: Who's responsible? (34 member(s) have cast votes)

The parents?

1. The kids? (6 votes [17.14%])

Percentage of vote: 17.14%

2. The police? (4 votes [11.43%])

Percentage of vote: 11.43%

3. The neighbors? (2 votes [5.71%])

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

4. All of the above? (14 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

5. Not my problem (9 votes [25.71%])

Percentage of vote: 25.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TomFoolery

TomFoolery

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 12:58 PM

angry.gif We live just behind the park and have been here for 4 years. Beginning in the spring and summer, teens begin coming into the park at night and early morning hours. It's not unusual for them to be there until the sun comes up. We have called the police so many times, but the kids keep right on coming. It's now become a nightly occurance and we are asking for suggestions from anyone.

Two weeks ago, I cleaned up grafitti, which is the first time I've seen it. Blue spray paint right over the children's tiles. They are loud, use profanity, scream, run around without any sense of respect for those who have to work in the morning. Thanks for your help.

#2 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE(TomFoolery @ Jun 20 2008, 01:58 PM) View Post
angry.gif We live just behind the park and have been here for 4 years. Beginning in the spring and summer, teens begin coming into the park at night and early morning hours. It's not unusual for them to be there until the sun comes up. We have called the police so many times, but the kids keep right on coming. It's now become a nightly occurance and we are asking for suggestions from anyone.

Two weeks ago, I cleaned up grafitti, which is the first time I've seen it. Blue spray paint right over the children's tiles. They are loud, use profanity, scream, run around without any sense of respect for those who have to work in the morning. Thanks for your help.

Gary

how old are these kids? Are they driving to the park?

I would go into the parking area and take pics of the kids license plates. Take pics of the kids and take pics of the park in general.

Let them know, the pics are just in case the park is left in a different condition than when the kids first arrived.

Shouldn't be that hard to do--if they are keeping you up all night, anyway.

They'll move on.

#3 TomFoolery

TomFoolery

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE(supermom @ Jun 20 2008, 02:11 PM) View Post
how old are these kids? Are they driving to the park?

I would go into the parking area and take pics of the kids license plates. Take pics of the kids and take pics of the park in general.

Let them know, the pics are just in case the park is left in a different condition than when the kids first arrived.

Shouldn't be that hard to do--if they are keeping you up all night, anyway.

They'll move on.

From what I can tell, most don't drive and park on Prewitt. They walk in. I have gone over there blurry-eyed and chased them out, in a nice way, for I don't know how many times. I just don't feel it's my job to be the security guard. I realize the police are busy with other more pressing duties, but we need help. Another thing, it doesn't seem to be the same kids and the FPD tells me that they are in ALL of the parks, hence the bigger problem, that these kids have no place to go. But at 3am, who needs a place to go other than an owl?

Thanks for your suggestion, but unless there are more severe consequences for them being there, I don't see an end to it.

#4 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:19 PM

Kids will be kids-
Why would parents let them out that late ? I see it as a social / family problem --- too much money and time on there hands and not enough parental control --

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#5 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:28 PM

The next time there is graffiti call 355-7229. I think the city likes to be aware so they can come out and take pictures before it gets cleaned up. I've called before for a local elementary school and middle school and it got taken care of right away. It said, "FLK Norte" "b.d.s. Fresno" something or other.

Anyways, I think it's great you are trying to keep your park a nice place to be and also sorry to hear it's become such a problem.

#6 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE(TomFoolery @ Jun 20 2008, 01:58 PM) View Post

Gary

Loser parents on Xanex having no idea where their punk kids are. Wrecking Castle Park, friggin' loser EMO kids. I'd bet they are holding a vigil for poor, poor Brandi while discussing their pregnancy pact.
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#7 lexmom

lexmom

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:04 PM

My kids saw the same grafitti a few weeks ago and they were very upset. Many of their friends had made those tiles. Alot of the tiles are even chipped beyond repair. It is really sad that these kids have nothing better to do. Thanks for getting the paint off!

#8 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:15 PM

Durn punks, get off my lawn!
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#9 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:22 PM

And you guys don't think Strike's new bowling alley won't bring the same thing?????

#10 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE(MikeinFolsom @ Jun 20 2008, 04:22 PM) View Post
And you guys don't think Strike's new bowling alley won't bring the same thing?????

Sure it would but at least it would move the punks to the park by Brigg's Ranch!
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#11 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Jun 20 2008, 04:27 PM) View Post
Sure it would but at least it would move the punks to the park by Brigg's Ranch!

I personally doubt it. Teen punks aren't going to hang outside the park nearest to the bowling alley. They're either going to be inside being punks, or in a park nearest their homes.

I don't see how the addition of the alley would produce more of this sort of activity. I do expect, however, that a few of the punks would find something to do *inside* and perhaps even reduce the Briggs Ranch park punk scene a little.

Unfortunately, kids will be kids, and I just think this is part of modern American "growing up". Keep calling the cops. Alternatively, install an electric fence.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#12 TomFoolery

TomFoolery

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ Jun 20 2008, 03:19 PM) View Post
Kids will be kids-
Why would parents let them out that late ? I see it as a social / family problem --- too much money and time on there hands and not enough parental control --

#13 TomFoolery

TomFoolery

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ Jun 20 2008, 05:05 PM) View Post
I personally doubt it. Teen punks aren't going to hang outside the park nearest to the bowling alley. They're either going to be inside being punks, or in a park nearest their homes.

I don't see how the addition of the alley would produce more of this sort of activity. I do expect, however, that a few of the punks would find something to do *inside* and perhaps even reduce the Briggs Ranch park punk scene a little.

Unfortunately, kids will be kids, and I just think this is part of modern American "growing up". Keep calling the cops. Alternatively, install an electric fence.

Tom is appreciative of all the creative suggestions. Whoever suggested snipers is pretty right on.

#14 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 05:38 PM

My choice wasn't available for the poll. I think the parents are responsible. Not that it matters, because the responsible party never accepts responsibility. rolleyes.gif

#15 polycat

polycat

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Baking, Cooking, Gardening, Traveling, Walking, Swimming, Biking, Reading, Blogging, Writing, Graphic Arts, Volunteering, Community... but my greatest interest and love is my family.

Posted 20 June 2008 - 05:53 PM

Definitely the parents are responsible here. Do they not know/care that they're kids aren't home at 3 am??? Granted, kids will be kids... and on hot summer nights it's understandable for them to want to hang out with friends and BS. But still, if my butt wasn't home by midnight, my folks were going to come looking for me. And today in the age of cell phones, it's even easier to reach a teen and tell them to get their tail home.

Yikes. I don't ever want to get to a point that not knowing where my kids are or what they're up to at 3 am is normal. (of course I just recently joined the ranks of "teenager parent", so don't have a lot of experience here - maybe I'm being naive)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users