My Grandma's Kitchen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
133 replies to this topic

#31 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:42 AM

Yes, but Purple Place you can get that morning beer in w/ your steak&eggs.

Actually, my favorite breakfast in town is Pachanga, but that's only on Sunday's sad.gif
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#32 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 11:02 AM

My wife and I like Lake Forest Cafe. I did not know that the Gold Miner had changed hands. If they are going down hill, that is to bad.

Like I have said before, go to Seasons on Sutter Street for breakfast. They also have coupons, buy one get one free in the local papers. Can't beat it.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#33 sat

sat

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 11:09 AM

What about the Sutter St. Grill? I have not been there yet, but I hear great reviews.

#34 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE(sat @ Jun 15 2006, 12:09 PM) View Post

What about the Sutter St. Grill? I have not been there yet, but I hear great reviews.

It's good, but not the best. Their prices are a bit higher than the others, so Gold Miner won out in my book. Now GMC is faulting, perhaps I'll switch back to Sutter St. Grill Monday through Saturday.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#35 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE(sat @ Jun 15 2006, 11:14 AM) View Post

Does anyone eat at Lake Forest Cafe? I think that is the best breakfast place in Folsom. Granted, I have not tried Grandma's Kitchen, but I have probably had breakfast at every other restaurant in town, including Gold Miner...not too impressed, but OK in my book.

Thats my fav place for breakfast - they have the BEST food and great service there.

I was a lil' dissapointed they weren't on the list of nominees for best of folsom 2006 breakfast category

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#36 sat

sat

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE(davburr @ Jun 15 2006, 01:31 PM) View Post

Thats my fav place for breakfast - they have the BEST food and great service there.

I was a lil' dissapointed they weren't on the list of nominees for best of folsom 2006 breakfast category

That's what the write-in votes are for!! Like you said, BEST food and great service.

#37 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:37 PM

It's good, but not the best. Their prices are a bit higher than the others, so Gold Miner won out in my book. Now GMC is faulting, perhaps I'll switch back to Sutter St. Grill Monday through Saturday

I still think that Sutter St. is the best. The GMC as you call it, is an off shoot of the Sutter St. Grill in that it was started by a waitress from the Grill. The Sutter St. Grill also changed hands about 10 years ago ,but the difference on all of these is they kept the original Dan Dummet recipes and food quality. Hence, where the name Dan Burger comes from.

It's funny to me to buy something good and then change it to worse. Dan also started the Diamond Springs Hotel , sold it last year, and now the quality is down.

Edited by Redone, 15 June 2006 - 01:40 PM.

#38 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE(sat @ Jun 15 2006, 11:14 AM) View Post

Does anyone eat at Lake Forest Cafe?

I don't feel comfortable in that place. To foo foo for me (or is that phoo phoo?).
It is like a place you would take a woman to make her think you are a sensitive kind of guy.
Don't ask me how I know that

#39 rlsliger

rlsliger

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE(MSgt @ Jun 15 2006, 03:38 PM) View Post

I don't feel comfortable in that place. To foo foo for me (or is that phoo phoo?).
It is like a place you would take a woman to make her think you are a sensitive kind of guy.

I've only been there once and thought the breakfast was pretty wimpy. I prefer Purple Place or the golf course.

#40 sat

sat

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE(MSgt @ Jun 15 2006, 03:38 PM) View Post

You're probably right...my husband liked Forest Cafe, but not nearly as much as I did.

On a side note, as for Sutter St. Grille, does anyone know the owner's name, and if so, is it Lorna? Growing up, our family lived across the street, and were friends with a family, including a young woman named Lorna. This was Citrus Heights, and they moved when I was about 10. Anyhow, out of the blue, my mom mentioned a couple of weeks back that she had heard that Lorna ran a breakfast restaurant on Sutter Street. Since there are not too many restaurants there primarily breakfast, I thought Sutter St. Grille might be it.

I'll have to check it out.

#41 jessicad

jessicad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 05:57 PM

thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif
QUOTE(sharkysam1 @ Jun 9 2006, 08:14 AM) View Post

Grandma's Kitchen should have waited to get their act together before opening. I think the premise is good, but it took me 19 minutes to get through the cashier line. The roast beef had a lot of fat in it, and when I commented to the cashier how long it took for me to get through the cashier line, the cashier just stated, "yeah we had a large group of people come through today" Not acceptable. When I pointed out that he could have just apologized, he did. But, when I was heading out the door, one of the younger employees gave me a very sarcastic "have a nice day dude". There are way too many other restaurants in Folsom to waste your time and money here. I wish these folks luck, but they had better turn up the quality and service level to above "5"

To those that have read this and thought of this as a rude manner in which to conduct a business well you do not have all the facts. I was there the day this man alligates his harassment and that is not at all what happened. There was alot of elderly people coming from reno and other areas to see the place open and revisit with their beloved chef. The man that wrote this was in such a hurry that he wanted to get in front of these elderly people and mind you these people were using walkers and could barely walk and this man wanted to make them wait in order to get out a few minutes earlier. The comment about the employee? Also not true the man came up and was rude to the nice young man behind the counter and said " I don't want to hear excuses all i want to hear from you is that you are sorry!!!!!" The man behiind the counter then did so and the man was still abjectivly rude. Then as the guy was leaving the establisment the man behind him in line looked at the young man and in a sarcastic tone said " have a nice day dude." not once were the people in grandma's kitchen rude or disorderly. It was just a case of a man in too much of a hurry and a man with no respect for the elderly!

#42 jessicad

jessicad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 06:21 PM

There has been alot of mud slinging done at or to "My Grandma's Kitchen" This fellow folsomite has a different view point than most on this subject. I love my grandma's kitchen and I believe that if given a chance you will love it too. I see all these people bashing it saying the service is bad and not up to par. well let me tell you a thing or two about this place.
In the morning the smell of fresh baked bread and bacon flow through the air and let you know breakfast is a cooking. The staff are very nice calm and collected. To the lady that said they look like they came out of prison. well they may or may not have you never know but who are you to say anything it isn't just the normal people that go to jail. Yuppies go there too!
They are embarking on a new horizon one that they have never crossed before and it wouldn't help if the community would bash something so new and brilliant. i have never seen such negative remarks about something so new in my life. The sacrifices these people have made just to try and give you all a small glimpse at what their family is about and where they come from are probably ones you couldn't understand and you blow them down for it. I say don't be a big bad wolf when they are still in the straw stage. work with them and let them know I know they are willing to take suggestions. Come back and throw stones at them when their place is made of bricks.
Because I must say this, even though they have bad reviews that little bell on their door never stops ringing for them. the people who come in and are regulars love it and make sure you try the bread pudding it is to die for.
FRIENDLY NOTE: If you assault them in your words but say nothing when you are there how are they supposed to know what they are doing wrong so that they can fix it and make the place better for you and your family to come to and become apart of theirs.

Oh did i mention I work there too? i am so proud to work there and I think the critics should give te place a chance.

#43 JMH

JMH

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 06:28 PM

Jessicad, welcome to MyFolsom. I thought alligate meant something else. Guess I'll have to look it up.

We ate breakfast there recently and thought it was pretty good. It was mid week and not too many people were there. We were in and out without any problems.

We just don't care much for the parking lot. It is not the most convenient one to enter and exit.

#44 DrKoz23

DrKoz23

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE(jessicad @ Jun 15 2006, 07:21 PM) View Post

There has been alot of mud slinging done at or to "My Grandma's Kitchen" This fellow folsomite has a different view point than most on this subject. I love my grandma's kitchen and I believe that if given a chance you will love it too. I see all these people bashing it saying the service is bad and not up to par. well let me tell you a thing or two about this place.
In the morning the smell of fresh baked bread and bacon flow through the air and let you know breakfast is a cooking. The staff are very nice calm and collected. To the lady that said they look like they came out of prison. well they may or may not have you never know but who are you to say anything it isn't just the normal people that go to jail. Yuppies go there too!
They are embarking on a new horizon one that they have never crossed before and it wouldn't help if the community would bash something so new and brilliant. i have never seen such negative remarks about something so new in my life. The sacrifices these people have made just to try and give you all a small glimpse at what their family is about and where they come from are probably ones you couldn't understand and you blow them down for it. I say don't be a big bad wolf when they are still in the straw stage. work with them and let them know I know they are willing to take suggestions. Come back and throw stones at them when their place is made of bricks.
Because I must say this, even though they have bad reviews that little bell on their door never stops ringing for them. the people who come in and are regulars love it and make sure you try the bread pudding it is to die for.
FRIENDLY NOTE: If you assault them in your words but say nothing when you are there how are they supposed to know what they are doing wrong so that they can fix it and make the place better for you and your family to come to and become apart of theirs.

Oh did i mention I work there too? i am so proud to work there and I think the critics should give te place a chance.

Can no one have a differing opinion than yours (especially since you have a vested interest). Maybe someone didn't like the service... or didn't really enjoy the quality of the food. It is their opinion... not mud slinging when they share their experience here.

I find these reviews helpful... especially when I have only so much money to spend at restaurants. I guess that is why I go to proven winners. Not every restaurant reviewed on this board has been trashed... and when a restaurant is raved about by a large majority on this board... it usually can be trusted.

#45 fish_relax

fish_relax

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE(DrKoz23 @ Jun 15 2006, 09:12 PM) View Post

Can no one have a differing opinion than yours (especially since you have a vested interest). Maybe someone didn't like the service... or didn't really enjoy the quality of the food. It is their opinion... not mud slinging when they share their experience here.

I find these reviews helpful... especially when I have only so much money to spend at restaurants. I guess that is why I go to proven winners. Not every restaurant reviewed on this board has been trashed... and when a restaurant is raved about by a large majority on this board... it usually can be trusted.

That was beaitiful, "Dont throw stones until there house is made of bricks" that is what life is about. Supporting one another, helping to improve, offering suggestions rather than bashing and being loving human beings. Even though we may not all share the same opinions, I agree that ones opinion should not influence everyone. I personally, will be going there for lunch tommorrow, simply because so many on here say its awful...I'd like to see for myself. Since when do others decide for me. Its sad when others cannot stand on there but rather go along with the crowd. i think it was sweet that you are standing up for the business you work for, it must they are worth it. And to me, that means its worth trying. Proven winners someone said, havent they only been open a few weeks? How can we let anyone win, if we dont let them try? I cant wait to try Good Fellas too, and Pachangas, ravine, I have a list and alot of eating to do!! Eat! Its the weekend! Mayvbe to change the flow we can all try a new restaurant we have never been too, and say something nice and offer ideas on how to improve. Positive flow folks...positve, if we dont remain positive about our community, who will?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users