#16 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE(ducky @ Feb 8 2008, 07:35 AM) View Post
You need to rephrase that. When they ask for help without first trying to do the homework themselves, your reply is: "I've already finished the _____ grade. This is your homework, not mine."

No no no, I don't mind helping if he needs it. It's the projects that there is no physical way a 8 year old can do by themselves. Sorry I'm not in school anymore.

#17 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:24 AM

Ducky try using lasagna for the roofs on the missions.

Or, go down to michaels and buy the premade--mission roofs. They are right there in the 4th grader mission project section. All you have to do is cut it down to size.
The only thing I don't like about it--it's hard to glue to plaster or clay.

#18 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE(supermom @ Feb 8 2008, 08:24 AM) View Post
Ducky try using lasagna for the roofs on the missions.

Or, go down to michaels and buy the premade--mission roofs. They are right there in the 4th grader mission project section. All you have to do is cut it down to size.
The only thing I don't like about it--it's hard to glue to plaster or clay.

Thanks, supermom. I like the lasagna idea. Normally, I try to not buy things for projects like this, if possible. I prefer to use things from around the house. It's espcially great if it's something that was just going to be thrown away anyway and can be recycled.

#19 forumreader

forumreader

Living Legend

• Registered Members
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE(ducky @ Feb 7 2008, 09:13 PM) View Post
Reading logs are a piece of cake. Just wait until fourth grade when you get to help them build a mission project. Anybody have material suggestions for the roof??

As supermom said, lasagne noodles have a nice effect. However, I had big troubles with them. They kept breaking. Another mom told me that she parboiled the noodles (only enough to make them less brittle), dried them with a towel, then cut and glued them on the roof. You must wait at least 24 hours before painting the noodle roof.

I found it easier to peel off one flat layer of thick corrugated cardboard. The "bumps" have the effect of a tile roof.

#20 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:58 AM

I know I am a bad mom ( I haven't started my kids mission project with him yet )
but I just don't have the energy to do this project a second time.

It sucked the life out of me two years ago!!

uhhhgggghhh

Ok--so, I'm gonna ask---did anyone else come up with an idea for the water in the water fountains? What about the thatched roofs on the servants quarters?

#21 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE(supermom @ Feb 8 2008, 08:58 AM) View Post
I know I am a bad mom ( I haven't started my kids mission project with him yet )

uhhhgggghhh

Ok--so, I'm gonna ask---did anyone else come up with an idea for the water in the water fountains? What about the thatched roofs on the servants quarters?

On a gingerbread house one year, my sister used spoon-sized shredded wheat for a thatched roof.

#22 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:19 AM

ooohhhh---that's clever!!

however, a rule of thumb--I donn't use food products for school projects because the kids projects will stay there for about 3 weeks. ( through open house night ).

#23 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE(ducky @ Feb 7 2008, 09:13 PM) View Post
Reading logs are a piece of cake. Just wait until fourth grade when you get to help them build a mission project. Anybody have material suggestions for the roof??

I guess things haven't changed since my kids went through 4th grade. Parents are still planning and creating lovely missions for their children. I let my kids do their own, and I could see the difference at open house. Sigh. Kids are creative and they are the ones who should be planning and creating their own projects. They'll be proud of it even if it's the only one in the room that is partially collapsing in one wall, etc., because they did it themselves.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#24 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:04 PM

uhhhgggghhh

What?? We have to do the servants' quarters, too? You mean a piece of blue construction paper isn't good enough to pass for fake fountain water? If you're setting the bar that high, supermom, you're making the rest of us moms look bad.

I'm thinking of having the kid slap some stucco patch onto cardboard, which I will then help assemble and add to my collection of glue gun scars. The hardest part of this project will probably be getting it to school in one piece.

#25 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:05 PM

We've seen the same thing with our daughter. We have had to do a couple projects where she decorates something (like a doll to resemble herself), and we let her do it on her own. When hers is displayed next to the ones with obvious parent "help," it makes you wonder what the kids are learning. Yes, their little project looks good (or rather my daughter's not so good since we were one of the few who let their kids do it), but are they learning anything other than that their parents will do the work if it's too hard?

#26 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE(tessieca @ Feb 8 2008, 11:58 AM) View Post
I guess things haven't changed since my kids went through 4th grade. Parents are still planning and creating lovely missions for their children. I let my kids do their own, and I could see the difference at open house. Sigh. Kids are creative and they are the ones who should be planning and creating their own projects. They'll be proud of it even if it's the only one in the room that is partially collapsing in one wall, etc., because they did it themselves.

Funny, really.

You think so, huh?

ha ha ha---nah--you can't really believe that.

My kids walk into class and say--his mom helped him with--she took a day off work (there's status in your parent taking time off work to spend time with you--the kids eat that up)

Or they say--that kid hasn't done a single project--the entire year--but they are gonna pass him.

And then you have the kids like my daughter who did the entire project on her own--but we spent a fortune in time, money and plans before the project got underway. I supervised the entire way and wouldn't back down on re-do's rather than accepting messy work.
Know what, the teacher gave her an A but asked me point blank if I built it. I said no. But I stood over her and pointed, lectured, encouraged, threatened, cried and cheered as the walls were poured and the lines were painted and the fountain was made and the clay sidewalk was formed then raked for texture. I helped her clean up the plastre of paris and I sawed the wood board for her--but no, she made the project. God--that was an expensive project, though.

But, I'll be honest, though----My son's project will either be messier, less detailed or completely missing something (god I hope not) but he just isn't as detail oriented and artistic as my daughter. I mean, the kid would rather throw the crayon in the fireplace than use it on a wall--let alone a piece of paper.

#27 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:22 PM

Ok--so, I'm gonna ask---did anyone else come up with an idea for the water in the water fountains? What about the

--I've been thinking about using candle gel

I'd have to heat it enough for it so get soft enough to form inside the ofuntain though--and that could be quite messy-I imagine.

#28 StephanieW

StephanieW

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:I like working out daily, i enjoy my work, everyone go to winco! i love spending time with my family going to the lake and camping... shopping is fun.

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE(supermom @ Feb 8 2008, 01:22 PM) View Post
--I've been thinking about using candle gel

I'd have to heat it enough for it so get soft enough to form inside the ofuntain though--and that could be quite messy-I imagine.

Why dont u get a blue candle already in a jar and then keep it lit for a day or so then pour it into the fountain?

I remember doing the mission project in 4th grade! I cant wait for tyler to do his... i havent heard ONE thing about it yet..

#29 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE(StephanieW @ Feb 8 2008, 01:30 PM) View Post
Why dont u get a blue candle already in a jar and then keep it lit for a day or so then pour it into the fountain?

I remember doing the mission project in 4th grade! I cant wait for tyler to do his... i havent heard ONE thing about it yet..

That's a good idea, but won't it take forever to melt it enough to pour into the fountain?

ehhh-most teachers assigned the missions in December and they are due the beginning of March.
You might want to call the teacher and see if the assignment was convienently forgotten about!!

#30 traceyl

traceyl

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE(supermom @ Feb 8 2008, 01:36 PM) View Post
That's a good idea, but won't it take forever to melt it enough to pour into the fountain?

ehhh-most teachers assigned the missions in December and they are due the beginning of March.
You might want to call the teacher and see if the assignment was convienently forgotten about!!

We haven't heard a peep yet either... no assignments, nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users