37 replies to this topic

#1 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

Some of the Sacramento area food trucks periodically come to Folsom. They'll be here this Thursday. Come out and support them if you like the food and want them to come up here more often.

Posted Image

I highly suggest the Drewski's Hemi.

Posted Image
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#2 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

Their Hemi is awesome!

#3 Lisa in Folsom

Lisa in Folsom

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:08 PM

Some of the Sacramento area food trucks periodically come to Folsom. They'll be here this Thursday. Come out and support them if you like the food and want them to come up here more often.

Posted Image

I highly suggest the Drewski's Hemi.

Posted Image

This is a fun, cost effective evening out. I love that the owners are working the trucks and put a lot of effort into producing a good product. Everyone in the family can get what they want and no clean up required. Since it is at WF, you can even get a beer in the beer garden (don't know if they have wine, but I would think so).

And yes, they need a good turn out to keep showing up.

#4 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

Great post SacKen! CW and Lisa you both are spot on. The trucks were up at Green Acres last month and there were many happy, formerly hungry for good grub people there. Certainly good eats.

I agree the Hemi is awesome and so are the rosemary & garlic tater tots. They also have a sandwich called the Prius which is vegetarian (recall it was apple and brie and oh so good even for a carnivore/omnivore as myself).

Other favorites are Swabbies and Krush Burger but I hope Food Mania returns regularly so that I can try the others. Volkswaffle looks promising and wasn't here last time.

#5 Lisa in Folsom

Lisa in Folsom

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:54 AM

This is TONIGHT!!!! Hurray no cooking and great food - a perfect summer evening!

#6 jenjen

jenjen

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

I think they'll be back - it was crazy busy. I waited over 45 minutes and that was just at one truck to get food. I wanted to try more, but I had other places to be. One of the organizers said they'd be back at Folsom Live.

#7 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

A Hemi is not worth 60 minutes in line in the heat. Tots were good though. They should have had more trucks to fit the demand, just too many people out there.

#8 s0479

s0479

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

I went right at 5 not a long wait, very good food and fun, wish there had been live music though.

#9 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:43 PM

I went right at 5 not a long wait, very good food and fun, wish there had been live music though.

The flyer above says "Live music and Family Entertainment" I guess not??

#10 s0479

s0479

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

The flyer above says "Live music and Family Entertainment" I guess not??

94.7 was there playing the radio very softly if that counts. I was there until about 5:50, no live music.

#11 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:56 PM

A Hemi is not worth 60 minutes in line in the heat. Tots were good though. They should have had more trucks to fit the demand, just too many people out there.

Agreed. Saw you and the kids walking bye and just as I was going to say Hello when my order was called.

We skipped Brewski's because the line was waaaay too long and ate at Coast to Coast Sandwiches, which was yummy. My daughter and I got there about 6:30pm and got their 2nd to last Coke, they were out of waters, napkins, shrimp and other drinks except iced tea and were going to close up 15 minutes later because they were almost out of food. They said the demand blew their expectations away.

Way too many people for the number of trucks there. There wasn't any music either. I enjoyed the concept even though the execution wasn't good. I enjoyed people watching; seemed to be the most diverse Folsom crowd I've seen and it made quite a contrast to my picking up my son from soccer at the middle school at the same time cheer was ending!

#12 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:26 AM

Does one have to pay tax on this food and if so I wonder if a portion of that tax goes back to the City of Folsom?

There are plenty of local restuarants that are struggling in Folsom, who pay property taxes, utilities and sales taxes that pay for our Public services. These local businesses contribute $$$ & meals to numerous community events and are the backbone to a thriving community.

As our community struggles with budget deficits and cuts to our services, I'd encourage everyone to support local businesses!

#13 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:28 AM

Does one have to pay tax on this food and if so I wonder if a portion of that tax goes back to the City of Folsom?

There are plenty of local restuarants that are struggling in Folsom, who pay property taxes, utilities and sales taxes that pay for our Public services. These local businesses contribute $$$ & meals to numerous community events and are the backbone to a thriving community.

As our community struggles with budget deficits and cuts to our services, I'd encourage everyone to support local businesses!

That is the stink downtown. The food trucks can stop and go and have little overhead or rent compared to the restaurants they park in front of and take customers away from. I read that they want to limit the time they can stop to 30 min I think. Barely time to setup.

#14 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

A HEMI and tots or a Prius are worth the wait. Well not an hour especially with a family.

We got there at 5 when they were setting up and the lines grew quickly but the overall wait wasnt too bad. Krush burger always had a super long and slow line while we were there.

Their last SactoMoFo event under the XY freeways I was told a mad house will every food truck out there and humongous lines that actually caused many customers to abandon the idea and go elsewhere.

#15 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

The live music was at the advertised beer garden, which was actually the Whole Foods beer garden. I didn't go over there, but I heard the music when I stopped by.

I agree that nothing at the event is worth that long of a wait! I got there just before 8 and it was still near my max giveacrap limit of about 20 minutes. I think the event took them all by surprise. This wasn't meant to be as big as it was. These trucks have been coming here about once every couple of months for awhile now and there's usually only about a 5-minute wait when I stop by. They make stops like this all over the Sacramento area about 3 nights a week (they are in Elk Grove tonight). Follow SactoMoFo on Facebook and you'll get truck location updates every day.

I think they figured it was going to be a typical night like all the others. However, in the past, they were always in locations like the Green Acres parking lot. This had such a large turnout due to the prime location and the partnership with Whole Foods on the event.

The revenue generation for the city and effect on other businesses has been a big issue with these trucks all over the country. Much like internet commerce has made us rethink our traditional ways, it is something that we need to figure out how to handle it. These are successful businesses. Trying to kill them under the guise of "fairness" isn't the answer.
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users