Photo

What's Your Favorite Food To Dine On When You Go Out?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:22 AM

A lot of people like to go out to lunch and dinner - what do you like to order? What do you look for when dining out?

What foods inspire you to want to pay good money to go out to dinner and how much would you be willing to pay for it?

Example:
For lunch I'd like a nice extra lean ground chuck burger cooked medium rare-ish, with a nice fresh baked bun, and fresh lettuce, tomato, onion and some good french fries. I think a decent price would be $7.95-8.95 but no more, no less

What food do you like to spend your money on?

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#2 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE (davburr @ Sep 21 2009, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A lot of people like to go out to lunch and dinner - what do you like to order? What do you look for when dining out?

What foods inspire you to want to pay good money to go out to dinner and how much would you be willing to pay for it?

Example:
For lunch I'd like a nice extra lean ground chuck burger cooked medium rare-ish, with a nice fresh baked bun, and fresh lettuce, tomato, onion and some good french fries. I think a decent price would be $7.95-8.95 but no more, no less

What food do you like to spend your money on?

Hmm, I eat out fairly frequently. Quite often I look to order things that I am less likely to prepare at home for myself. Like when I go to a steak house, I usually get Prime Rib, as I am more likely to grill a Filet Mignon or New York Steak at home, but won't make prime rib for myself.

When it comes to dining out, we like to mix it up, so I rarely go out for the same nationality 2 trips in a row. I also tend not to go somewhere if I made something similar at home recently. So if I make homemade tacos, I'm not likely to go to Mexican the next night I go out.
I would rather be Backpacking

#3 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Sep 21 2009, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm, I eat out fairly frequently. Quite often I look to order things that I am less likely to prepare at home for myself. Like when I go to a steak house, I usually get Prime Rib, as I am more likely to grill a Filet Mignon or New York Steak at home, but won't make prime rib for myself.

When it comes to dining out, we like to mix it up, so I rarely go out for the same nationality 2 trips in a row. I also tend not to go somewhere if I made something similar at home recently. So if I make homemade tacos, I'm not likely to go to Mexican the next night I go out.

Excellent feedback, thanks Bill

I like the way you put it too - "look to order things you are less likely to make at home"

Out of all the different nationality foods, which one would you say is your favorite that you would always go back for?

#4 SunshineServices

SunshineServices

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:16 PM

Without a doubt:

Japanese/Sushi

When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace.

Jimi Hendrix

#5 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (SunshineServices @ Sep 21 2009, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Without a doubt:

Japanese/Sushi

interesting to hear, what's your favorite dish that you like to order consistently? also, what do you like to drink with your sushi?

#6 SunshineServices

SunshineServices

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (davburr @ Sep 21 2009, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
interesting to hear, what's your favorite dish that you like to order consistently? also, what do you like to drink with your sushi?

Usually anything with salmon, shrimp or crab.

Can't wait to hear all the cries of "Wimp!" but I hate beer, so usually just water!
When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace.

Jimi Hendrix

#7 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (SunshineServices @ Sep 21 2009, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can't wait to hear all the cries of "Wimp!" but I hate beer, so usually just water!

I just recently discovered something in sushi called flaming dragon.

Pretty good.

I agree, usually water with sushi-if I'm eating out.

#8 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:11 PM

I try and get things that are either difficult or annoying to do at home. Fresh fish, quality steak, recipes that I just can't get right (eastern, for example).

Hence; Sushi, Surf and Turf, Indian, are my favorites.

Like Bill said, I'll go for the slow roasted prime rib over a strip I can easily grill at home. I would never order teriyaki anything at a restaurant because I can just as easily overcook and douse in sauce something at home. I also try and order the specials if they look good. Usually better quality and unique.

I'll also go out for some good atmosphere. Moroccan as a good example. Good food, but more for the fun.

I'd rather pay $15 bucks for a unique gourmet burger than $3 for some costco patties I can grill at home.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#9 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (SunshineServices @ Sep 21 2009, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good selection, thanks for the feedback.

Water is the elixir of life, there isn't anything else on the entire planet that is better for you, we should all drink it more often.

#10 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:32 PM

No sake? ;-)
I don't drink much at all but I love sake when I go out for Japanese food.

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#11 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (ChefRaven @ Sep 21 2009, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sake? ;-)

Sake is mostly water wink.gif

You have to drink native to your cuisine. smile.gif I love a good Tsingtao for Chinese, Taj Majal for some Indian, Singha for Thai, Sake for Sushi.

#12 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (mylo @ Sep 21 2009, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I try and get things that are either difficult or annoying to do at home. Fresh fish, quality steak, recipes that I just can't get right (eastern, for example).

Hence; Sushi, Surf and Turf, Indian, are my favorites.

Like Bill said, I'll go for the slow roasted prime rib over a strip I can easily grill at home. I would never order teriyaki anything at a restaurant because I can just as easily overcook and douse in sauce something at home. I also try and order the specials if they look good. Usually better quality and unique.

I'll also go out for some good atmosphere. Moroccan as a good example. Good food, but more for the fun.

I'd rather pay $15 bucks for a unique gourmet burger than $3 for some costco patties I can grill at home.

Very good (thanks for the feedback) I like that thought about going out for things that would be difficult to make at home. That makes sense.

Would you put that "more difficult to make entree" in the gourmet food category?

#13 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (ChefRaven @ Sep 21 2009, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sake? ;-)

me too, I really enjoy sake with sushi

QUOTE (mylo @ Sep 21 2009, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sake is mostly water wink.gif

You have to drink native to your cuisine. smile.gif I love a good Tsingtao for Chinese, Taj Majal for some Indian, Singha for Thai, Sake for Sushi.

I like the way you think biggrin.gif

#14 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (davburr @ Sep 21 2009, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very good (thanks for the feedback) I like that thought about going out for things that would be difficult to make at home. That makes sense.

Would you put that "more difficult to make entree" in the gourmet food category?

Gourmet is definitely in the "difficult to make" category, but not all difficult to make is gourmet.

Look at Urban Dog. It's not hard for me to steam a hot dog at home. But I don't really want to special-order a 12 pack of dogs and good buns that'll go moldy or freezer burnt.

Another example is Fish'n'Chips. Really simple to fry up some cheap cod, but I'm not going to fire up a deep fryer for a single serving.

#15 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:42 PM

Where is there good fish n chips in town? That's a fav of mine but I hate to fry fish and stink up the house especially when it's so hot and the AC is on. No airing out the house.

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users