supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:44 AM

http://www.sacbee.co...ory/547079.html

A sad weekend, all in all.

Our apartment complex is gonna be accepting food donations, clothing and such.

The baby is almost 4 months old. He never got to meet his daddy.

#2 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:03 AM

http://newsblaze.com...California.html

The reports keep saying he was an el dorado resident but his wife and child lived in Folsom.

#3 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:18 AM

What a sad, tragic story.
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#4 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:31 AM

Very Sorry to here this - I have read the news about him over the last couple of days and it is so tragic and a senseless loss... (but i will keep my politcal views out of this for now).

Might your complex also be able to set up a trust at a local bank / credit union for donations for the family ? I am sure they will need it .... and I am sure that many, including myself would like to offer our help in this way or another for this family in Folsom... it is not often we have to bring one home like this...

Also - maybe MyFolsom.com can start a fundraiser within its ranks and channel the proceeds to a fund or trust as well..

Sorry his child will never know his father.. that is likely the biggest tragedy of all...

If you could be more specific on the needs - sure that would help as well.

Kind Regards
Ken

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#5 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ Dec 10 2007, 10:31 AM) View Post
Very Sorry to here this - I have read the news about him over the last couple of days and it is so tragic and a senseless loss... (but i will keep my politcal views out of this for now).

Might your complex also be able to set up a trust at a local bank / credit union for donations for the family ? I am sure they will need it .... and I am sure that many, including myself would like to offer our help in this way or another for this family in Folsom... it is not often we have to bring one home like this...

Also - maybe MyFolsom.com can start a fundraiser within its ranks and channel the proceeds to a fund or trust as well..

Sorry his child will never know his father.. that is likely the biggest tragedy of all...

If you could be more specific on the needs - sure that would help as well.

Kind Regards
Ken

So far, the apartment is accepting donations of food, clothes, diapers, gift certificates of grocery stores, walmart, target whatever. They have also been accepting cash-which they plan on giving directly to Nicole.

I spoke to the apartment manager and so far they don't know of any trust fund set up--but they are aware that Nicole is still in the early stages of military paperwork and such.

Longterm--I would say that the next month or two will be difficult in rent / childcare.

If you do wish to donate please PM me. I'll give you info where to drop it off--or you can give it to me--to take over.

#6 GoodFellas

GoodFellas

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests: Great food and even better wine!

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(supermom @ Dec 10 2007, 10:50 AM) View Post
So far, the apartment is accepting donations of food, clothes, diapers, gift certificates of grocery stores, walmart, target whatever. They have also been accepting cash-which they plan on giving directly to Nicole.

I spoke to the apartment manager and so far they don't know of any trust fund set up--but they are aware that Nicole is still in the early stages of military paperwork and such.

Longterm--I would say that the next month or two will be difficult in rent / childcare.

If you do wish to donate please PM me. I'll give you info where to drop it off--or you can give it to me--to take over.

We will donate food or gift cert...

#7 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:32 AM

I wonder why they list him as being in EDH when it says his wife is in Folsom ? Maybe he grew up in EDH ?

If he is from FOLSOM- would this make him the first Soldier to die in this quagmire in Iraq from this city >?

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#8 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:37 AM

I have offered this family some $ via supermom - I only mention this to see if we can get something going for support of a fallen soldier from our city. I really dont have it to give - but sometimes situations trump things -
Anyone else ? or other things ?

We know that the Government is not very giving to support a family after a death in the service of our nation- so any help would be appreciated ....

lets get this moving to help our fellow Folsomites

-Margaret Mead-

#9 (Gaelic925)

(Gaelic925)
  • Visitors

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ Dec 10 2007, 11:37 AM) View Post
I have offered this family some $ via supermom - I only mention this to see if we can get something going for support of a fallen soldier from our city. I really dont have it to give - but sometimes situations trump things -
Anyone else ? or other things ?

We know that the Government is not very giving to support a family after a death in the service of our nation- so any help would be appreciated ....

lets get this moving to help our fellow Folsomites

If they set up a fund please let us know, we would like to help a little too.

#10 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:49 AM

I'm going to see about whether or not the family actually already has set up a trust fund. When I contacted JAG they told me I can't do so; because of legal stuff. ( if someone doesn't like the way the money is spent--it could come back to me). However if the trust fund is set up in the families name with them as the beneficiary it seems that is a better solution.

however if you want to donate items--besides cash--please let me know.

Also--I'm supposed to let everyone know--legally I am asking for donations through me--and the military has nothing whatsoever to do with me asking.

Please keep that in mind.

#11 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ Dec 10 2007, 11:32 AM) View Post
I wonder why they list him as being in EDH when it says his wife is in Folsom ? Maybe he grew up in EDH ?

If he is from FOLSOM- would this make him the first Soldier to die in this quagmire in Iraq from this city >?

My understanding is that he went to high school in EDH.

As for the first soldier to die in Iraq from Folsom--no. Sgt Thrasher as well as another fella who got out of the army then went to Iraq as a contractor--and died.

I would say that this is at least our third son--who died in Iraq.

#12 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE(supermom @ Dec 10 2007, 11:53 AM) View Post

As for the first soldier to die in Iraq from Folsom--no. Sgt Thrasher as well as another fella who got out of the army then went to Iraq as a contractor--and died.

Thanks- and as such I would think that he and the other deserve some recognition from the city as well -

I sure hope other are contacting you via PM as there have been a lot of views but very few posts on this ...

-Margaret Mead-

#13 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ Dec 10 2007, 11:32 AM) View Post

I assume he grew up in EDH as he went to Oak Ridge High.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#14 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:05 PM

Please keep us posted about a trust fund.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#15 PersiferWool

PersiferWool

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:26 AM

QUOTE(supermom @ Dec 10 2007, 02:53 PM) View Post

Actually, there are 4. I mentioned on this board about a year ago that 1SGT Michael Barnhill, USMC, who was a Folsom native and a graduate of Folsom High 1984... died in Iraq.

"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users