• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Parizienne

Parizienne

My Folsom Honeybee

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Interests:History, gardening, reading, antiquing, road trips, road food, the Blues, classic rock, travel.

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:05 AM

My husband and I were making a quick run down to Vic's Market last week around dusk when we saw a coyote run down the street in the Hannaford Cross neghborhood. It ran right down Lakeside Drive past Hannaford Park and then past the Dam Road and north toward the empty field. People leave little kids and pets outside in that area all the time. It was getting dark, but please keep a close watch -- especially if you've got little ones playing at the park!

Pari.
Pari

#2 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:31 AM

The dingo ate my baby!

I wouldn't worry about a coyote or two. They live in the open space on the north side of the bridge though they have been chased out of most of the are south of the river. Coyotes aren't known to attack kids. Maybe a small yappy pet, but that's territorial.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#3 Barb J

Barb J

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:40 AM

We live in ER and see coyotes ALL the time. They even run down our residential street sometimes! Just keep your cats inside or they'll make a tasty meal!

Barb

#4 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE(Barb J @ Oct 27 2008, 11:40 AM) View Post
We live in ER and see coyotes ALL the time. They even run down our residential street sometimes! Just keep your cats inside or they'll make a tasty meal!

Barb

I was gonna say. It's not that unusual to see coyotes. I've seen lots in town along the trails. There were about five on Walden Drive early one morning when I was out jogging. I'm pretty sure they were hunting kitty-cat along the trail.

#5 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(ducky @ Oct 27 2008, 01:02 PM) View Post
I was gonna say. It's not that unusual to see coyotes. I've seen lots in town along the trails. There were about five on Walden Drive early one morning when I was out jogging. I'm pretty sure they were hunting kitty-cat along the trail.

If not kitty cats, then quite possibly our resident wild turkeys.
I would rather be Backpacking

#6 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Oct 27 2008, 01:07 PM) View Post

We're not allowed to eat em but the coyotes can, apparently!
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#7 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:28 PM

I like to let my coyotes out to hunt for a few hours every evening........just send em home if they bother you.

#8 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:32 PM

Makes me wonder, are they the normal sort, the roadrunner-chasing sort, the border-running sort, or the trickster diety sort?
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#9 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:34 PM

We have coyotes around our house in EDH, as we live right at the edge of a large area of natural land. Every couple of weeks, we get to hear them yipping and howling off in the distance at night. Cool stuff. There are people in our neighborhood who won't go out into the 'open space' areas of our development because they're afraid the coyotes will eat them.

#10 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE(Orangetj @ Oct 28 2008, 02:34 PM) View Post
We have coyotes around our house in EDH, as we live right at the edge of a large area of natural land. Every couple of weeks, we get to hear them yipping and howling off in the distance at night. Cool stuff. There are people in our neighborhood who won't go out into the 'open space' areas of our development because they're afraid the coyotes will eat them.

rofl.gif They must be from New York or someplace like that.

#11 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:41 PM

Now that you mention it.....I have been seeing an increase in ACME trucks in the neighborhood lately..hmmmm.

#12 Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE(Parizienne @ Oct 27 2008, 11:05 AM) View Post
My husband and I were making a quick run down to Vic's Market last week around dusk when we saw a coyote run down the street in the Hannaford Cross neghborhood. It ran right down Lakeside Drive past Hannaford Park and then past the Dam Road and north toward the empty field. People leave little kids and pets outside in that area all the time. It was getting dark, but please keep a close watch -- especially if you've got little ones playing at the park!

Pari.

Not that uncommon, a couple weeks ago I had a coyote come up to me on the Bike Trail by the Dam Road (just behind Lake Pointe Apartments). It was walking down the path and so was I, and we walked within ten to fifteen feet of each other for a good half mile, then he turned and went into the brush and stopped and watched me walk by. Once I had passed I looked back, we made eye contact and he turned and walked up the hill.

True story.

I've also encountered two rattlesnakes (one three feet away, one that I was about to step on and someone yelled at me), two racoons (these came off the trail and up to my apt), and also seen wild turkeys and a hawk in the distance walking around / perched on a tree respectively.

#13 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE(Michael Hughes @ Oct 29 2008, 10:33 AM) View Post
Not that uncommon, a couple weeks ago I had a coyote come up to me on the Bike Trail by the Dam Road (just behind Lake Pointe Apartments). It was walking down the path and so was I, and we walked within ten to fifteen feet of each other for a good half mile, then he turned and went into the brush and stopped and watched me walk by. Once I had passed I looked back, we made eye contact and he turned and walked up the hill.

True story.

I've also encountered two rattlesnakes (one three feet away, one that I was about to step on and someone yelled at me), two racoons (these came off the trail and up to my apt), and also seen wild turkeys and a hawk in the distance walking around / perched on a tree respectively.

That coyote, I'm betting, is the same one that has been parking his rear end at my BDRM window--at night--where the dog sleeps. The dog has been going crazy, in the evenings.

The hawks as well as a few vultures have been nesting in the trees above our porch.

Thanks to the construction at the bridge--there has been an explosion of small animals like wild hares, turkeys and snakes jumping the fences (or wiggling through). So we have seen a lot of predators as well. The coyotes are a problem, though, because there are at least 5 on that part of the trail for the last few weeks. There has definitely been less sightings of outdoor cats in our apartment complex! Oh, and the raccoons like to jump from tree to carport roof. My dog treed one about two months ago. Not so fun for me--the dog was on a leash-so I had a sore arm for a few days!

I really like the rustic feel of our location--but you do need to be aware that these animals are out there!

#14 FolsomFrogGuy

FolsomFrogGuy

Living Legend

• Banned
  • 4,643 posts
  • Interests:Politics, soccer, rock climbing, SCUBA, landscaping & gardening, environmentalism, political activism, reading,...

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Oct 27 2008, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Darth Lefty @ Oct 27 2008, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We're not allowed to eat em but the coyotes can, apparently!

Turkeys evolved well to elude coyotes... For wild birds, Turkeys must be the reason someone came up with the term "bird brain"!
Economic Meter for the Wealthy...
Reagan (1980-88) Dow 876 - 1879; 114.6% increase
Bush I (1988-92) Dow 1958 - 3254; 66.1% increase
Clinton (1992-2001) Dow 3223-10588; 228.5% increase
Bush II (2001 - Jan. 20, 2009) Dow 10588 - 7949; 24.9% DECREASE
Obama (2009-Nov. 6, 2009) Dow 7949 - 10,023; 26% Increase
"Gr. Recession" Recovery? - Dow Peak: 10/7/07 - 11/6/09; 14,165-
10,023; Down 29%

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users