17 replies to this topic

#1 ptejhe

ptejhe

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:19 AM

To all individuals that drive through Hannaford Cross via Lakeside Way & HollyAnn Dr:

Please watch your speed carefully going through our neighborhood! Our kids are out for the Summer and as a parent, I want them to stay safe! We have had a lot of drivers go above 25 mph down our streets because they are in a hurry.

Near Hannaford Family Park there are neighbors that walk their dogs to that park and kids playing. Please be aware of how fast you are going. Nothing is more important than keeping our kids safe in our neighborhood.

If you are running late, think of how late you'd be if your speeding resulted in someone getting hurt or an animal being injured...or worse!!!

Thank you!

#2 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:03 AM

It might help to put out orange cones when the kids are at play or putting up signs like this, that will get driver attention much better, especially if you put the cones in the street so that people are forced to slow down to go around them. Too bad if they don't like it, a child's safety comes first.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#3 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:16 AM

I saw a little sandwich board sign on someone's lawn that really made me slow down to read (not that I normally speed mind you). It said something like "Speeding kills bears" complete with picture of a bear with 4 paws in the air, ala bugs bunny. It was so random, I loved it. I want one for my lawn, as people like to travel 90 down this 30mph road sometimes.

#4 Parizienne

Parizienne

My Folsom Honeybee

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Interests:History, gardening, reading, antiquing, road trips, road food, the Blues, classic rock, travel.

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:18 AM

We do use cones and "kids at play" signs in Hannaford Cross. For me, even though I usually intend to drive 25, the cones remind me to check my odometer. Sometimes I have accelerated without realizing it and it reminds me to check my speed.

We do get a lot of speeders through here. The other day, a couple of cars careened around the corner ( not far from the family park) at Lakeside and Egloff. It's winds around pretty quickly, and these people really shouldn't have been going that fast past at least one blind corner. I don't know how much faster they really need to go to get to any home here. They are probably saving themselves 10-30 seconds, tops! Foolish!

Pari.

QUOTE (davburr @ Jun 20 2009, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It might help to put out orange cones when the kids are at play or putting up signs like this, that will get driver attention much better, especially if you put the cones in the street so that people are forced to slow down to go around them. Too bad if they don't like it, a child's safety comes first.

Oops.. I mean speedometer.

QUOTE (Parizienne @ Jun 25 2009, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We do use cones and "kids at play" signs in Hannaford Cross. For me, even though I usually intend to drive 25, the cones remind me to check my odometer. Sometimes I have accelerated without realizing it and it reminds me to check my speed.

We do get a lot of speeders through here. The other day, a couple of cars careened around the corner ( not far from the family park) at Lakeside and Egloff. It's winds around pretty quickly, and these people really shouldn't have been going that fast past at least one blind corner. I don't know how much faster they really need to go to get to any home here. They are probably saving themselves 10-30 seconds, tops! Foolish!

Pari.

Pari

#5 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:46 AM

You are all right - speeding is a problem everywhere in Folsom, it seems. I'm in Lex Hills and people zoom down our streets as well. I saw these florcent (sp?) mini-kid "statues" for the lawn that hold alert flags at Home Depot or Lowe's that I thought was really clever.

I just wondered if I would look like a dork putting one up, considering I don't have a kid. tongue.gif

#6 Parizienne

Parizienne

My Folsom Honeybee

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Interests:History, gardening, reading, antiquing, road trips, road food, the Blues, classic rock, travel.

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:07 PM

I don't think so. The people with kids would appreciate it, I'm sure.

QUOTE (Thinkingoutloud @ Jun 25 2009, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are all right - speeding is a problem everywhere in Folsom, it seems. I'm in Lex Hills and people zoom down our streets as well. I saw these florcent (sp?) mini-kid "statues" for the lawn that hold alert flags at Home Depot or Lowe's that I thought was really clever.

I just wondered if I would look like a dork putting one up, considering I don't have a kid. tongue.gif

Pari

#7 SunshineServices

SunshineServices

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:02 PM

Aren't there any BACK yards to play in in Folsom?

Just curious.
When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace.

Jimi Hendrix

#8 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (SunshineServices @ Jun 25 2009, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aren't there any BACK yards to play in in Folsom?

Just curious.

what? we gotta keep 'em locked up so people can speed down side streets?

#9 SunshineServices

SunshineServices

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (The Dude @ Jun 25 2009, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what? we gotta keep 'em locked up so people can speed down side streets?

What, you gonna change the world one 'speeder' at a time?

I play the odds, my kid is safer in the back yard. Safe doesn't equal locked-up.

Besides, this thread has already been done about 10 times.

Road/Street - a long, narrow stretch with a smoothed or paved surface, made for traveling by motor vehicle, carriage, etc., between two or more points; street or highway.
When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace.

Jimi Hendrix

#10 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (SunshineServices @ Jun 25 2009, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Road/Street - a long, narrow stretch with a smoothed or paved surface, made for traveling by motor vehicle, carriage, etc., between two or more points; street or highway. ...at a safe speed

need a correction

#11 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:33 PM

I play the odds, my kid is safer in the back yard. Safe doesn't equal locked-up.

Road/Street - a long, narrow stretch with a smoothed or paved surface, made for traveling by motor vehicle, carriage, etc., between two or more points; street or highway.

Playing in the street invites neighbors to join you, or at least say Hello. Knowing your neighbors creates safer neighborhoods. Safer neighborhoods = safer kids.

#12 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:20 AM

This area has never been "safe" for kids to play in/around.

The retirement homes right there invite lots of car accidents, as well as people who prey on our older population.

The trailer home area has a pedophile living right against the gate to the fence that backs up to the park-right there.

The ridiculous notion of placing a school on a dead end road forces a lot of parents to take the hannaford route to prevent 1/2 to hour long wait on F-A and Inwood.

Just not a good idea--for anyone to travel down that road without being very cautious to other vehicles.

#13 ptejhe

ptejhe

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:27 AM

This thread should be posted 100 times! Our kids deserve to have outside play in the front or backyards without the threat of speeders. You cannot ride a scooter or bike in the backyard. My kids enjoy the open area of our court.

It's just not for the safety of the kids either! It's for the safety of people, in general. I could be out there working on my yard or grabbing something out of my car and someone flies by my house and not paying attention. It's a recipe for disaster.

And YES, I plan on speaking up so I CAN CHANGE this situation!!

#14 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:32 AM

QUOTE (ptejhe @ Jun 30 2009, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This thread should be posted 100 times! Our kids deserve to have outside play in the front or backyards without the threat of speeders. You cannot ride a scooter or bike in the backyard. My kids enjoy the open area of our court.

It's just not for the safety of the kids either! It's for the safety of people, in general. I could be out there working on my yard or grabbing something out of my car and someone flies by my house and not paying attention. It's a recipe for disaster.

And YES, I plan on speaking up so I CAN CHANGE this situation!!

well said, I completely agree. We should all be safe in the front of our houses in our neighborhoods.

We don't live on main streets or highways and people should not drive over 25mph in any residential - period

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#15 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:23 PM

According to the DMV handbook,

"Business or residence districts
The speed limit is 25 mph, unless otherwise posted"

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users