Photo
- - - - -

Tony Stewart Hits, Kills Driver Kevin Ward Jr.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:59 PM

I do not think Tony did this on purpose. Ward should not have came out onto the track.

I looked to me like Tony slowed down and then sped up to get by him.

This could really hurt Tony. He is supposed to race Sunday. Guess we will wait and see the outcome.

http://www.usatoday....-park/13855401/

Check it out on youtube here.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#2 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:42 PM

This is even worse.

Tony Stewart hits, kills driver in sprint car race

A race car driver was killed Saturday night after he was struck on the track by NASCAR star Tony Stewart, according to Ontario County (N.Y.) Sheriff Philip C. Povero.

During a sprint car race at Canandaigua (N.Y.) Motorsports Park, driver Kevin Ward Jr. was spun out by Stewart, got out of his car to show his displeasure and then was struck by Stewart's car, sending Ward sliding down the track, fellow sprint car racer Tyler Graves and witness Adam Dulski told USA TODAY Sports.

http://www.usatoday....-park/13855401/

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#3 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:02 AM

Tony Stewart needs a time out, yet he is apparently going forward with his Sunday race. That is not right on many levels.

And he wasn't struck by Stewart's car. Stewart hit him.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#4 giacomo

giacomo

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:Wine, good food, goof friends traveling to Hawaii, soccer, 70's/80's music, , Lake Tahoe

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:56 AM

Announced just within the hour Tony Stewart will not race at Watkins Glen today

#5 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:06 AM

You see this a lot in Nascar. Guy gets wrecked, gets out of the car, waits on the track to point or throw his helmet at the guy who did it.

I doubt Tony meant to run this guy over but I'm sure he wanted to get close and give him a gesture. On a dirt track this seems especially risky as his tire looked like it kicked out and he obviously got too close and ran the guy over.

#6 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

What kind of moron goes back out on a live racetrack to just point to another driver. Sorry but he had to be crazy to do that.

#7 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

those drivers execute expert manuevers all the time.  Stewart is a very experienced driver.  He knows exactly what his car does and how to make it respond the way he wants.  He completely saw the victim, so its not like he just didn't see him or couldn't swerve to avoid him.  I agree with Nomad that Stewart was making a point and ended up taking a man's life.  I hope he pays for it on some level. 

#8 Tyto Alba

Tyto Alba

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

Announced just within the hour Tony Stewart will not race at Watkins Glen today

Ward tried to make a risky pass way high on a car that was on the middle line. The middle line car completes the turn up high.

If you look at Ward on the track, he walked out to the middle of the track with live cars running. The caution was out at this time but cars moving fast. If you look at the point of the wreck, It was at the end of the turn plus there is following going on. Stewart appeared to be following in a slightly higher line to the rear of the front car. There is poor visability at this point and cannot see until it is too late.

It is like following a semi truck on the freeway. If the semi quickly moved to avoid an object.......you would probably hit the object due to no time to react.

#9 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

Everyone seems to see something different in that video. Some are saying Stewart accelerated right at the last moment. --What a crazy thing, though--a sport where people run onto the track in the midst of the cars to gesture at other drivers?! That is insane.

#10 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

Having watched the video several times, it appears Stewart did punch the throttle causing his car to jump out an hit the guy.  I'm sure there will be other video of the incident to clarify exactly what happened, but assume he did just that, he needs to be arrested for vehicular manslaughter. 

#11 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:21 PM

Tony will be exonerated in this incident. He was following the Blue car and I am sure he did not see Ward until the last second.

To me it look like Tony tried to turn left at the last instant and or course the right rear would slide to the right, which then caught Ward.

Ward should have stayed in his vehicle and I can bet that they will be making rule changes that drivers will need to stay in their

vehicles until emergency workers get to them.  Of course in case of FIRE they would have to get out.

Yes, I love Tony as a driver. I always have.  I would however feel the same no matter who the driver was in this case.

I really hate to say it but Ward brought this on himself.

Would you be saying the same thing if the Blue car had hit him, and no one was blocking his view?

#12 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:38 PM

The title of this thread is misleading. Kevin Ward decided it would be a good idea to demonstrate how tough and angry he was by walking out in the path of oncoming, dangerously fast race cars. Now he's a dead tough and angry guy. Everyone who participates in these races, from drivers to pit crews, all know the risks and know the cars have the right of way. This kind of bravado is senseless. Now he can't take it back.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#13 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

As probe begins, Stewart steps away from the track

http://sports.yahoo....-213959700.html

#14 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

Why did Stewart's engine race?  Given his hot-head background, my guess is he was trying to scare Ward by sliding the car towards him and it went terribly wrong.  I read that Stewart's car had a GoPro camera.  If so, I hope the police got it before it was destroyed.  And I hope the collect the ones from the other cars.

#15 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:57 PM

Stewart does have a hot head.  I've seen film of him walking out near cars of his competitors and throwing his helmet hard into their windshields, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users