48 replies to this topic

#1 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

I just saw a news headline on the channel 3 website saying smoke was billowing from a house fire in Folsom. anyone know about this?
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#2 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

I saw smoke over behind the Oak Ave/Lex hills area. Hard to tell where it was coming from.

#3 texson

texson

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:fishing, camping, snow skiing, my wife

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:24 AM

Structure Fire, Empire Ranch, All occupants out and safe.

#4 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

glad its not so windy today. saw a fire the other day in the wetlands area near Mormon Island Cemetery. That would be a hard one to put out.

#5 jpow5

jpow5

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

Folsom Fire Report: https://local.nixle..../?sub_id=682144

FOLSOM, CA- Firefighters from the City of Folsom Fire Department, El Dorado Hills Fire District and Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District responded to a two alarm structure fire inside two-story residential structure fire in the 1700 block of Dornie Circle in Empire Ranch this morning. A total of six engines companies, two truck companies, one paramedic ambulance, and two chief officers were dispatched to the scene.

Firefighters from Folsom Fire Station 38 arrived approximately seven minutes and thirty five seconds after receiving the first 9-1-1 call. Upon their arrival firefighters encountered a working fire on both levels of the home. The fire also extended into the attic area of the dwelling. Firefighters immediately began an offensive fire attack to prevent the spread of the fire into the remaining areas of the home and to adjacent homes. The fire was fully contained within sixty minutes.

An investigation into the cause of the fire is underway. There were no injuries as a result of this fire. Damage is estimated at approximately $350,000.

#6 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

here is the news report about what happened. the homeowners had just stepped out for a second and the next thing they knew, the house was in flames!

http://sacramento.cb...n-morning-fire/

#7 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

Folsom Fire Report: https://local.nixle..../?sub_id=682144

FOLSOM, CA- Firefighters from the City of Folsom Fire Department, El Dorado Hills Fire District and Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District responded to a two alarm structure fire inside two-story residential structure fire in the 1700 block of Dornie Circle in Empire Ranch this morning. A total of six engines companies, two truck companies, one paramedic ambulance, and two chief officers were dispatched to the scene.

Firefighters from Folsom Fire Station 38 arrived approximately seven minutes and thirty five seconds after receiving the first 9-1-1 call. Upon their arrival firefighters encountered a working fire on both levels of the home. The fire also extended into the attic area of the dwelling. Firefighters immediately began an offensive fire attack to prevent the spread of the fire into the remaining areas of the home and to adjacent homes. The fire was fully contained within sixty minutes.

An investigation into the cause of the fire is underway. There were no injuries as a result of this fire. Damage is estimated at approximately $350,000.

WOW, 7 minutes and 35 seconds response time! ( I'm NOT faulting the firefighters)

If I lived in Empire Ranch, I'd be at the next council meeting screaming at the council for their failure to build that fire station in E.R. and exposing that neighborhood to risks the rest of the city isn't exposed too!

We all know that there is only X amount of dollars to spend on city services and this Council has chosen to spend tax dollars for the substantial costs for all the planning for S50, without getting FULLY reimbursed, instead of building and staffing a fire station in E.R!

This council has chosen to subsidize Land investors profits over the safety of its residents!

#8 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:12 PM

WOW, 7 minutes and 35 seconds response time! ( I'm NOT faulting the firefighters)

If I lived in Empire Ranch, I'd be at the next council meeting screaming at the council for their failure to build that fire station in E.R. and exposing that neighborhood to risks the rest of the city isn't exposed too!

We all know that there is only X amount of dollars to spend on city services and this Council has chosen to spend tax dollars for the substantial costs for all the planning for S50, without getting FULLY reimbursed, instead of building and staffing a fire station in E.R!

This council has chosen to subsidize Land investors profits over the safety of its residents!

This is bordering on a Supermom type post...

#9 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:43 AM

7 min 35 seconds sounds like a pretty damn good response time to me.

#10 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:33 AM

From phone call to arriving onsite in 7 minutes seems pretty damn good. How much faster could it have been?

#11 2kids4me

2kids4me

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:34 AM

I remember talking to a firefighter about 5 years ago, and he told me the response time would be about 8-9 minutes without a closer fire station. So, I guess 7 1/2 minutes is pretty good, considering his estimate.

My daughter goes to FMS, and it takes me, at most, 6 minutes to get her to school (and I'm farther from where the fire was located), so I guess that means it takes a good two minutes for the firefighters just to pull out of the station.

I do wish we had a closer station, but I don't see that happening for a very long time.

#12 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:21 AM

It would be nice if there was another fire station out there. I saw a pretty bad accident over by Vista high a few months back and it would have been nice for a faster response. Isn't it the responsibility of the developers to plan a fire department hub when brand new development extends past a certain distance (or perhaps by population growth)?

I had an electrical fire at my house a few months ago and the Folsom FD took about 13 minutes to respond. I had put the fire out before they got there. But they did a great job of checking it out, making sure there weren't any hot spots, and located the source of the problem and isolated it so that my power was restored, and generally made sure my nerves were not so rattled before they left.

Folsom FD are awesome.

#13 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:18 PM

I recall the standard for response times used to be 4 minutes. This is what the city used to claim. The difference in the amount of damage to a house structure fire and loss of life is expotentially so much greater, the longer it takes the Crew to reach the fire. The intense amount of heat generated inside of a home by burning another 3 minutes and 35 seconds, would probably be fatal to most people trapped inside.

I would really appreciate if any of our firefighters could enlighten all of us with some statistics on this? Lower response times are crucial to saving lives and reducing the amount of damage to the house caused by the fire.

Last week we were lucky in that Crew 38 wasn't all ready out on another call, that it wasn't 103 degrees and there wasn't lots of wind. If these factors were present, we could have had a significant neighborhood loss. With all due respect to our firefighters who did a FANTASTIC job of responding, It probably was a lot closer to getting out of control than we all know. This risk could be significantly lessened IF there was operating Fire Station in E.R.

The funds to build the fire Station in E.R., were paid as impact fees by the home builders as they built homes. I was told the city has the money to build the fire Station, but they have mismanaged the GF money to staff it.

Those who think the city spent 10 years in aquiring the SOI, annexation and all the planning prior to development and it only cost the city $22,500 per quarter of our staff expenses, you are either stupid or have some sort of personal connection to what is going on! The council collectively chose to spend resources on pursuing S50 instead of staffing the Fire Station in E.R.

Our quality of Life is detoriating and having increased response times is just ANOTHER example of this! Those of you who are happy about this, I guess this is your right. Those of you who are like me and think we deserve better, in that slower response times are UNACCEPTABLE, then at some point we are going to have to come together and bring about the needed change to accomplish this!

#14 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

I remember an interview with Sac Fire and how they basically threatened they may not respond in the most timely manner if their budget was axed by X amount of dollars. They said it very snide even when asked if there were no other calls why they would delay response times? You get it? It's all about money and politics. There's one thing to respond slower b/c u r on another call, but totally unacceptable if you are not on another call. In fact, it's immoral in life or death situations.
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#15 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

I remember an interview with Sac Fire and how they basically threatened they may not respond in the most timely manner if their budget was axed by X amount of dollars. They said it very snide even when asked if there were no other calls why they would delay response times? You get it? It's all about money and politics. There's one thing to respond slower b/c u r on another call, but totally unacceptable if you are not on another call. In fact, it's immoral in life or death situations.

And to think, some people still don't believe that the unions dont own and control the cities

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users