14 replies to this topic

#1 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

Just received via Nixle:

The normally quiet streets of Folsom erupt with the buzz of a helicopter or the shriek of a siren. Sometimes our curiosity is unappeasable. We just have to know "What's going on?" "Should I be concerned?" If you're calling the 911 EMERGENCY lines or the police department seeking answers, then the answer to the second question is "yes". Your concern shouldn't be about the sirens or the helicopter, but rather about the critical time a police dispatcher is spending answering your “Calls of Curiosity”.

Calls of curiosity can quickly overwhelm a police communications center during a critical time when police officers need their undivided attention. It's likely that those sirens or helicopters you hear are supporting police officers during an emergency situation. It is unlikely that these activties are placing you or your family in immediate danger. Just stay inside your home and secure your residence.

The Folsom Police Department uses several tools to communicate emergencies and critical information to our residents.

Reverse 911
This program allows the Folsom Police Department to call you with important public safety information. This notification system is geographical based and will only be used at the direction of a supervisor. Circumstances for use could be notification of a missing child, necessary evacuations, or other public safety concerns.

Nixle, Facebook, and Twitter
Nixle is a secure tool used to distribute important messages to resident subscribers. The Folsom Police Department uses Nixle, Facebook, and Twitter to send information such as road closures, missing persons at-risk, evacuation information, and current critical events which impact public safety. We also use these medias to send Press Releases directly to your email and/or mobile devices.

More information regarding the department's information outreach can be found at www.folsom.ca.us/depts/police/stay_informed/default.asp

Stay Safe Folsom, Stay Informed!
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#2 gbfolsom

gbfolsom

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

I shudder at the thought of someone tying up a 911 dispatcher asking questions out of curiosity. I can't believe they even had to publish this. Where is the common sense? *sigh*

#3 Devdave

Devdave

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

I agree! Do people really do this?? Come on people....have more sense than that...

Or if you can't help yourself, call the NON-EMERGENCY line...

#4 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:44 PM

I shudder at the thought of someone tying up a 911 dispatcher asking questions out of curiosity. I can't believe they even had to publish this. Where is the common sense? *sigh*

Exactly. It's sad it's happening often enough that they had to send out this notification.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#5 giasmom

giasmom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:09 AM

I just look on My Folsom...I do see posts asking about sirens, helicopters, police activity, fires,sirens at the prison...seems like someone on the board has a little info....In fact,yesterday my daughter and I were driving by Marshalls and saw several teens and police cars, when I wondered out loud what was going on my daughter said "its probably on my fo...."

#6 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:40 AM

I would never call 911 about a curiosity thing. Even if I can't understand the announcement from the helicopter, I just figure it's time to put the dogs inside and google the news stations to see whether they are looking for a lost child or an escapee.

I do call the non-emergency number to report things that are not urgent like someone looking over neighbors' fences or in their cars as they walk up the street.

I think the last time I called 911 was when I was following an erratic driver, possibly drunk, that made a left on a red light intentionally nearly causing a collision.

#7 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

Well, the old cb's or trunk radios were easy t find the bandwidth. The civically curious or the ambulance chasing journalist would be able to intercept these radio waves and then publish them through their respective circles (gossip channel, or the news anchor).

So, much harder to to get on the spot info these days with the radios the coppers use. Psht, almost gotta have a helicopter chasing copper cars nowadays, to find out what's going on.

#8 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:54 AM

C'mon.....you live in a city of "me, me, me first!!!!!!!!". I've been on scenes where people drive their personal vehicles through the event because they were in such a hurry. Some get immediately pulled over....then get upset over the ticket. Who woulda thunk it?

#9 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:46 PM

People drive through a scene? YOu mean like trying to keep traffic flowing so that emergency vehicles can get to the scene and other people can continue on their way?

What really bothers me, is the rubber neckers. But what ever. I hardly think Folsom is a "me,me,me" city. I see a lot of good people do great things, on a daily basis. keep that in mind when you next see an idiot type behavior and it brings you down.

#10 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

People really are THAT stupid

#11 quietlythinking

quietlythinking

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:people, gardening, pets, running, books, life :)

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

I agree! Do people really do this?? Come on people....have more sense than that...

Or if you can't help yourself, call the NON-EMERGENCY line...

I suggest not doing this either as the same people who answer 911 are also responsible for answering the non emergency lines..just fyi :).

#12 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:56 AM

Also, the non-emergency number is just for non-emergencies, not detailed info of something that is currently happening. HOWEVER, I never heard of Nixie and I don't think many others have either. Why doesn't the dept make an app to post neighborhood info of what's going on? For example, if you lived on Baurer Circle and checked the app you would have known what was going on and took percautions.
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#13 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

Also, the non-emergency number is just for non-emergencies, not detailed info of something that is currently happening. HOWEVER, I never heard of Nixie and I don't think many others have either. Why doesn't the dept make an app to post neighborhood info of what's going on? For example, if you lived on Baurer Circle and checked the app you would have known what was going on and took percautions.

I and other MyFolsomites post here about Nixle from time to time when we get alerts. The City of Folsom has promoted Nixle in its newsletter. Neighborhood Watch promotes the use of Nixle. You can also "Like" Folsom Police Department on Facebook to get alerts. I believe they're on Twitter, too.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#14 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

There was also a post on here about joining Nixle. That is where I heard of the program and decided to join. I rarely read the Folsom Newsletter during the school year, but I do tend to check MyFolsom on a daily basis. :)

I and other MyFolsomites post here about Nixle from time to time when we get alerts. The City of Folsom has promoted Nixle in its newsletter. Neighborhood Watch promotes the use of Nixle. You can also "Like" Folsom Police Department on Facebook to get alerts. I believe they're on Twitter, too.

#15 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

There was also a post on here about joining Nixle. That is where I heard of the program and decided to join. I rarely read the Folsom Newsletter during the school year, but I do tend to check MyFolsom on a daily basis. :)

I heard about Nixle here first, but I've also seen it advertised on the Fire Dept.'s electronic billboard near Walmart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users