Photo
- - - - -

New Library: What do you think?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: New Library: What do you think? (34 member(s) have cast votes)

New Library: What do you think?

1. Good idea - good use of our money. (17 votes [53.12%])

Percentage of vote: 53.12%

2. Bad idea - we voted on this a year ago. (12 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

3. Not sure. (3 votes [9.38%])

Percentage of vote: 9.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 09:22 AM

Usually I appreciate Terry's factual examination of issues; however, he's far off the mark in his previous note that "The school district has not done the best job managing its money in the past and in fact now has the city overseeing its expenditures." The school district has not had a problem managing its money, and the only disputes over money management have been ones of priority (yours might not match the district's). In any event, the city is in no way overseeing the district's expenditures. Never has, and hopefully never will. Terry may be mistaken about the structure of the district's bond oversight committee. When the bond was passed, the district set up an oversight committee to review bond expenditures to ensure the public gets what the public expected to get. This was a legal requirement for a 55% school bond. There is one city liaison to that committee, but the regular members are community members, parents, and business leaders. Since 1996 when Debbie Bettencourt was hired by the district as CFO, there has been exceptional management of district funds, and is likely above reproach.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#17 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 09:25 AM

Oh yeah, in regard to the library, thank you Andy for stepping in and providing detailed information and justification. I disagree with the location on the ball field, but we'll get used to that. The bottom line is that our city is providing a means for all of its population to be served by public libraries. There's a little bit of deja vu with what the council has done. Several years back, the county was going to close the public library branch in Folsom, and the city stepped in and found a way to fund their own city library -- they did what had to be done and we benefitted.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#18 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 09:31 AM

I agree... a big thank you to Andy for answering many of our questions. I know I myself had some reservations about it, but after reading his statement, it makes a lot more sense! Thank you Andy! We hope to see you posting here more often in the future!
biggrin.gif

#19 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE (tessieca @ Jun 18 2003, 09:22 AM)
Terry may be mistaken about the structure of the district's bond oversight committee.  When the bond was passed, the district set up an oversight committee to review bond expenditures to ensure the public gets what the public expected to get.  This was a legal requirement for a 55% school bond.  There is one city liaison to that committee, but the regular members are community members, parents, and business leaders.  .

I apologize for any misunderstanding of the post to which tessieca reponded. For the sake of brevity in my original post, I did not go into detail about the history of the school bond passage and its conditions for public oversight. As I recall, the school bond's passage was largely achieved because of this oversight requirement. And, in my opinion, this requirement was as a result of public distrust of the school district's fiscal management.

I still hold the opinion that the school district's past financial management was not the best, and I also believe that is why it has been difficult to pass school bonds. While 55% is a majority for election purposes, it sure is not an overwhelming vote of confidence. My opinion only.........

#20 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 11:47 AM

Andy, I want to thank you for coming online and telling us what we needed to know.

Very seldom does a city council member come on this board and give out information.

Thanks for your time to give us additional information.

Cal May
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#21 chattipatti40

chattipatti40

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 01:40 PM

I also wish to extend my thanks to Councilmember Morin for telling it like it really is. I wish the report in the Bee was as informative as his post. It is a relief to know that the corner grassy area, gazebo, rocks, trees and train will remain.

As a member of the Folsom Families Services Collaborative I can tell you that we have discussed the lack of space for senior and youth programs on more than one occasion. I am encouraged that the city is considering the fire station for such purposes. I believe there are grants and re-develoment money available for such projects.

Patti Eckhardt
Folsom's Healthy Start

#22 Folsom Phillip

Folsom Phillip

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 08:27 AM

If we always had this option available for us, why did the city of Folsom cry for help in form of a supplemental tax last year? Council member Morin, I realize you were not on the council at this time, but there must be some justification for this.
Go Kings!

#23 matt

matt

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 08:04 AM

If the city doesn't have the money, maybe they can finance the way the new Natomas high school is being done.
A private company builds it and leases it back until it is paid off.

#24 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 12:12 PM

I don't want to get too far off topic, so I'll just add one more thing -- the school bond passed by with approx. 2/3 even though that high threshhold was no longer required (the first two tries came within a handful of the 2/3 approval required). Regardless of past perceptions, that's a lot of Folsom folks who do trust the district currently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users