21 replies to this topic

#1 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:55 PM

Way to go EPA. You know, the Environmental PROTECTION Agency. They have released at least 3 million gallons of toxic mine holdings into the Animas river (which eventually makes its way to Lake Powell). How the heck did this happen? I have ridden alongside the Animas river all the way up the mountains until it disappeared. Beautiful country.

Good luck to all those that rely on that watershed for drinking water.  Perhaps if the leadership at The EPA was more concerned with  protecting the environment than creating fictitious personas to conspire with politically radical environmental groups, this sort of thing wouldn't happen.

http://www.foxnews.c...intcmp=trending

Not available at the Huffpo. A search of EPA finds nothing about this on their site. Remember folks, it's what is left out of most newscast/newspapers that is important.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#2 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:52 PM

The before and after photos of that river are just shocking.

What the heck was the EPA doing to cause such a catastrophe?

#3 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:45 PM

I've been following this for two days and can't believe there isn't more outrage. This just dumped outrageously high levels of arsenic and lead in this river. That stuff isn't going away. This is big.
And I'll bet no one gets fired.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#4 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:50 AM

Some interesting background on the EPA and their malfeasance. Perhaps there is more here than meets the eye...

http://watchdog.org/.../epa-disasters/

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#5 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:37 AM

Mining companies are just as much to blame. There are hundreds of these abandoned mines in Colorado and New Mexico leaking and that have tons of toxic materials left behind. So while the EPA botched this one they aren't the entire source of the problem.

#6 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 03:28 PM

I cannot help but wonder what the fine would be if the company did it?  Would anyone be sent to jail?

#7 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:15 PM

I cannot help but wonder what the fine would be if the company did it?  Would anyone be sent to jail?

or fired?

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#8 apeman45

apeman45

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:57 PM

The EPA didn't create this problem. The miners did.  They have been trying to plug the constant daily leaks from 100's of abandoned mines which are legally left behind by the miners leaving us taxpayers responsible for the cleanup.  The EPA budget has been gutted by congress.  Top officials resigned under the Bush administration because they were not allowed to enforce environmental laws.  With congress still under GOP control the EPA budget and enforcement has not been restored.

If the EPA wasn't in Colorado that river would be orange year round.  It was an accident.  Where is the outrage over the miners legally leaving this waste behind and you and me are left to foot the bill.

http://www.businessi...y-metals-2015-8

#9 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:40 AM

The EPA didn't create this problem. The miners did.  They have been trying to plug the constant daily leaks from 100's of abandoned mines which are legally left behind by the miners leaving us taxpayers responsible for the cleanup.  The EPA budget has been gutted by congress.  Top officials resigned under the Bush administration because they were not allowed to enforce environmental laws.  With congress still under GOP control the EPA budget and enforcement has not been restored.

If the EPA wasn't in Colorado that river would be orange year round.  It was an accident.  Where is the outrage over the miners legally leaving this waste behind and you and me are left to foot the bill.

http://www.businessi...y-metals-2015-8

Throw them in jail too.  And keep in mind the congress only switched over to Republican control relatively recently, so you blame of them is quite telling.

It is interesting - two different presidents and both refuse to let the duly passed laws be enforced.  Judge Andrew Napolitano said that presidents build on the past illegal activities of previous presidents.  How true it is.

#10 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 09:42 AM

With congress still under GOP control the EPA budget and enforcement has not been restored.

Then why hasn't King Obama just issued another illegal *Executive Order* to take care of the problem ?? He's very good at going *around* Congress to get his way. He's had 6 and a half years to do that, right ?? Why hasn't he ?? Democrats are NOT protectors of the environment, they just pay it lip service...like they do on a multitude of issues.

#11 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:09 AM

Can someone please move this to the political section so we don't have to hear the Republicans/Libtards debate again, ad nauseam?

#12 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:55 AM

Way to go EPA. You know, the Environmental PROTECTION Agency. They have released at least 3 million gallons of toxic mine holdings into the Animas river (which eventually makes its way to Lake Powell). How the heck did this happen? I have ridden alongside the Animas river all the way up the mountains until it disappeared. Beautiful country.

Good luck to all those that rely on that watershed for drinking water.  Perhaps if the leadership at The EPA was more concerned with  protecting the environment than creating fictitious personas to conspire with politically radical environmental groups, this sort of thing wouldn't happen.

http://www.foxnews.c...intcmp=trending

Not available at the Huffpo. A search of EPA finds nothing about this on their site. Remember folks, it's what is left out of most newscast/newspapers that is important.

Just a FYI-- there are many articles at Huffington on this situation---  http://www.huffingto...=header_form_v1

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#13 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:56 PM

Hmmm, I searched EPA on their site and had no hits. Then again, several of those listed articles were AFTER my post, which was a few days after the event.

My understanding is that this mine had not been active in nearly a hundred years, and it was water infiltrating from another mine that led to the build up.

I have ridden up the Animas from Silverton. There are many mining claims. Some abandoned, some active. I remember a sign in one shanty's doorway that said, "A mine is never abandoned, it is merely left until a later time".  Just as we have naturally occurring asbestos here in Folsom, those "bad" minerals are naturally occurring in that area. While the mining of gold and silver releases them in a (geologically) rapid manner, water intrusion is the primary driver. For us, construction frees the asbestos locked in the rock much faster than wind and water could.  Should miners be as good of a steward as possible? Of course. Should we abandon gold plated connectors in our electronics, nuclear power, steel and aluminum products, and plastics by avoiding getting our resources? Of course not. Each of those things require a resource that must be processed. That processing is not without potential side effects.

What the EPA did was arrogant and foolish.  They are an agency run amok and spearheaded by ideologues who ignore their own scientists and conspire (illegally) with extreme environmental groups. As for their "slashed" budget, it was 7.8 billion in 1998 and 8.2 billion in 2014. The number of full time employees changed not at all from 1998 through 2008 and has reduced about 10-15% since (down from 17,500).

Perhaps you are unaware that new EPA regs soon to be enacted basically state that ANY water on any property can be regulated by the feds. Previously, it was only navigable waterways that were regulated. If you have a pond on your property, or a creek, or a ditch, or even a shallow area that collects rainwater, you are at the mercy of the EPA as to what use you have. Thankfully, 31 states are suing for an injunction against the regs until it can be tried in court. Unelected, agenda driven bureaucrats making regulations with the force of law are stripping our freedoms one bite at a time.

http://news.heartlan...ter-regulations

#14 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:29 AM

More EPA malfeasance:

http://watchdog.org/...5/ga-epa-spill/

WHat I find most troubling (other than the obvious "not our responsibility" approach) is this statement, "says brownfields projects are part of the agency’s mandate “to make environmental justice an integral part of every program, policy and activity by…. Applying EPA’s regulatory tools to protect vulnerable communities.”

What the hell is environmental justice? Orwell was oh so right.... unfortunately.

#15 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:30 AM

I've been following this for two days and can't believe there isn't more outrage. This just dumped outrageously high levels of arsenic and lead in this river. That stuff isn't going away. This is big.
And I'll bet no one gets fired.

This is gov't in action. The idiot who did this will probably be promoted to management or made czar of the EPA.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users