247 replies to this topic

#16 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 07:36 PM

During the AIDS crisis, former President Regan was hesitant to do anything due to his personal beliefs. Yet when his close friend Rock Hudson came out of the closet due to AIDS, it finally got Mr. Regan to start taking action.

Another American political figure has been at the base of debates on whether she was a lesbian, bisexual, or what. That woman is Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt
"We must recognize that this short life can neither be ennobled or enriched by hatred or revenge."

RFK

#17 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 05:55 AM

California was the first state to allow interracial marriages, but in doing so it barred same-sex couples from getting married (it was ok for them up until that point in time).

President Clinton was ready to allow gays into the military w/o any restrictions against them, but the top military officials told him that it would be a huge morale issue and it would be unsafe for the military to allow gays to join.

Because of this, President Clinton came to a compromise with them, known as the "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy, which was signed into law in 1993.

"We must recognize that this short life can neither be ennobled or enriched by hatred or revenge."

RFK

#18 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 08:01 AM

QUOTE(forumreader @ Oct 3 2005, 07:29 PM)
How curious that we have Children's Health Month, Dental Hygiene Monthe and Orthodontic Health Month right before we send our kids out to the streets on Halloween to beg for sugar highs!  (Oh how I dislike the candy part of trick-or-treating!!......I am trying hard to find special non-food treats this year for the little goblins that come to my door.)

View Post

Try this place- great for large volume cheap things- like bouncy balls etc.

http://www.orientaltrading.com/

Cheers
F500

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#19 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE(ngilbert @ Oct 3 2005, 06:39 PM)
I'm there man.

View Post

Feature of the popcorn month Jolly Time Kettle Mania, "kinda sweet, kinda salty."

It's a favorite at our house. We had two packages during NFL games Sunday Oct. 2.

#20 anonymous

anonymous

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:59 AM

[quote=swmr545,Oct 3 2005, 06:53 AM]
Well, since it's officially Gay History Month, I thought it would be fun to put some little factoids up during October.

Here's the first....

Although many people think the Gay Movement started with the Stonewall Riots in June of 1969, it actually started with the March on Independence Hall in Phillidelphia in March of 1965.

I always thought it started with the fall of Sodom and Gomorrah.

#21 anonymous

anonymous

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(swmr545 @ Oct 3 2005, 06:53 AM)
Well, since it's officially Gay History Month, I thought it would be fun to put some little factoids up during October.

Here's the first....

Although many people think the Gay Movement started with the Stonewall Riots in June of 1969, it actually started with the March on Independence Hall in Phillidelphia in March of 1965.

I always thought Gay History started with the fall of Sodom and Gomorrah.

#22 anonymous

anonymous

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE(anonymous @ Oct 4 2005, 12:02 PM)

View Post

No, we're talking history, not fiction!
The 'anonymous' poster has been disabled due to abuse of the account.

#23 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 12:47 PM

View Post

Jewish views
Classical Jewish texts do not support the concept that God destroyed Sodom and Gemorrah because their inhabitants were homosexual. Rather, they were destroyed because the inhabitants were generally depraved and uncompromisingly greedy. Rabbinic writings affirm that the primary crimes of the Sodomites were terrible and repeated economic crimes, both against each other and outsiders.

Actually Tom DeLay and Sen. Frist and lots of CEO's fit this description better than a lot of gays.

#24 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 12:53 PM

View Post

The view of Josephus
Flavius Josephus, a Jewish historian, wrote:

"Now, about this time the Sodomites, overweeningly proud of their numbers and the extent of their wealth, showed themselves insolent to men and impious to the Divinity, insomuch that they no more remembered the benefits that they had received from Him, hated foreigners and avoided any contact with others. Indignant at this conduct, God accordingly resolved to chastise them for their arrogance, and not only to uproot their city, but to blast their land so completely that it should yield neither plant nor fruit whatsoever from that time forward." Jewish Antiquities 1:194-195 Harvard

Anonymous wrong again!

#25 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 12:59 PM

Ezekiel 16:49-50: Now this was the sin of Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.
This idea is supported in the Gospels when Jesus compares an inhospitable reception to Sodom:

Matthew 10:14-15: If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town. I tell you the truth, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town.
However, inhospitality was not the only sin

#26 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE(Farley @ Oct 4 2005, 12:47 PM)
Jewish views
Classical Jewish texts do not support the concept that God destroyed Sodom and Gemorrah because their inhabitants were homosexual. Rather, they were destroyed because the inhabitants were generally depraved and uncompromisingly greedy. Rabbinic writings affirm that the primary crimes of the Sodomites were terrible and repeated economic crimes, both against each other and outsiders.

Actually Tom DeLay and Sen. Frist and lots of CEO's fit this description better than a lot of gays.

View Post

rofl.gif

RFK

#27 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 04 October 2005 - 02:31 PM

Hey, I just got an email here at work that October is National Work/Family month. How can it be Gay History Month AND National Work/Family month? I guess you can announce a month to be anything you want?

So I hereby declare October to be "National Ford F-250 Super Duty Appreciation Month"

user posted image

#28 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 05:59 AM

On October 12, 1998 the violence towards gays was brought to the forefront of the media with the burtal murder of Matthew Shepard.

It is sad to say that because of this death congress finally agreed upon expanding the law against of hate crimes to include the LGBT community. This happened in 1999, 30 years after Stonewall that this finally happened.

Since then, California has been amongst the few number of states passing laws in protection of its students with the passing of AB537 in 2000.

RFK

#29 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:05 AM

QUOTE(Farley @ Oct 4 2005, 01:53 PM)
The view of Josephus
Flavius Josephus, a Jewish historian, wrote:

"Now, about this time the Sodomites, overweeningly proud of their numbers and the extent of their wealth, showed themselves insolent to men and impious to the Divinity, insomuch that they no more remembered the benefits that they had received from Him, hated foreigners and avoided any contact with others. Indignant at this conduct, God accordingly resolved to chastise them for their arrogance, and not only to uproot their city, but to blast their land so completely that it should yield neither plant nor fruit whatsoever from that time forward." Jewish Antiquities 1:194-195 Harvard

Anonymous wrong again!

View Post

Pfft...some random quote from a Jewish historian does not go very far in refuting the text of the Bible. Every version I've ever read had the Sodomoites demanding Lot allow them to have sex with his house guests.

They call it sodomy for a reason, afterall.

#30 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:15 AM

gotta go with c_vanderveen on this. He is correct.
Some of you are manipulating the Bible to support your behavoir. It doesn't work that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users