#31 Julio

Julio

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 05:03 PM

Check the news.

The damn frogs raided Lance's room for drugs today.

I can't believe these losers...

usa.gif
-Julio

#32 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 09:06 PM

What I heard was that some of the French media attempted to get into US Postal's hotel rooms to look for banned substances. They were not able to get in.

Armstrong stated that some in the French media are out to get him and that US Postal is concerned that the French media could try to plant something.

Some French people love Lance but others are very antagonistic to him -- not wanting him to better the French cyclists, since no French cyclist has ever won 6 Tours. Lance travels with bodyguards around France.

On another note, I guess Greg LeMond has now come out with accusations that Lance uses drugs.

#33 brown

brown

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 08:12 AM

Apparently a TV crew asked him some questions in his hotel on Thursday morning, then tried to get into his hotel room once he left...so you've got to wonder what was going on. I can't imagine that the French would be too happy about someone winning the Tour six times for the first time in history...and an AMERICAN at that.

In 1975, Belgian Eddy Merckx, who had won the Tour five times already, was actually punched by a spectator during the finish of a stage and had his jaw broken...he carried on and finished 2nd overall. Let's just hope nothing similar will happen to Armstrong during the rest of the Tour. It's scary though, with all of the fans lining the climbs it would be pretty easy to do something. I don't blame the man for being paranoid!

Armstrong is a pretty arrogant guy, not as much now as he was pre-cancer, but I can see how that would ruffle a few feathers. I think it's just disbelief more than anything....how could someone who had cancer come back and become the dominant athlete in the sport? What people tend to forget is that he was already one of the top atheletes in the sport prior to getting sick, and was the professional world champion when he was 21.

I don't think Lemond really has any right to talk. People can say the same thing about him - how can you come back and win the Tour after getting shot and almost dying? Sounds like bitter grapes that he's not the one going for six.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

#34 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 08:32 AM

Lance Armstrong took a big step forward Friday in his quest for a record sixth consecutive Tour de France championship by finishing a close second in the 12th stage, the first in the storied Pyerenees mountains. Armstrong is now just over five minutes behind overall leader Thomas Voeckler

#35 brown

brown

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:10 AM

Even more important is the fact that he put more time on his rivals...all of the riders tipped to potential winners this year (Ullrich, Mayo, Hamilton, Heras, et al.) finished at least a minute behind Armstrong. There's still a lot of mountains before the finish, but Armstrong is looking really, really strong. What a great ride today.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

#36 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 12:40 PM

Oh, man... don't spoil it for me!! I usually watch at night. But I will watch tonight anyway, because it's not just the result that's interesting, but how they got to that result. Got to see the first day in the mountains!

Today's tour gossip: Tyler Hamilton's much-beloved dog, Tugboat, died the other evening. Tyler adored Tugboat and credits him with helping Tyler get through the Tour last year with a broken collarbone -- apparently Tugboat was in the hotel room for affection and stress relief each evening as Tyler finished each stage. Awww....!!!

#37 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 10:26 AM

Wow, yesterday's was a great stage.

Ulrich looked very weak, with no teammates able to help him at the front. Don't count him out yet, though -- they say he often has trouble the 1st day in the mountains but rebounds later.

Most dismaying was Tyler Hamilton. He looked poor and admitted afterwards he didn't feel right. He is supposed to be one of the nicest people in cycling. I was really hoping he would have a great Tour this year. Seems like the fates are stacked against him: he had a bad crash early on, and then his dog dying... added to last year's broken collarbone, he must be about ready to give up on the Tour de France.

And what great heart Thomas Voelcker has! He has worked so hard to keep the yellow jersey, and yesterday's final pull up the mountain seemed so tough for him. I really admire him. --Do you think Virenque had no legs left for the final climb, or was he just being chivalrous to stay back and help Voelcker up the mountain? It is amazing how the Tour is filled with ruthless competitiveness, yet also sometimes with great moments of generosity and unselfishness.

#38 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 10:11 AM

Wow, I must be prophetic. Tyler Hamilton pulled out of the Tour yesterday.

He mentioned his accident a few days ago, but I'm not sure that's the whole reason. Two days ago, when he looked so poor on the first mountain stage, he just said his legs didn't feel right. Yesterday, at first he seemed befuddled about what was wrong, then said it was too bad he had the accident and he "couldn't use his lower back." (The accident gave him some abrasions -- though mostly on his upper back, from what I could see). I can't help wondering if there is something more going on. Poor guy. I hope one of these years will be his year.

Thomas Voelcker continues to defy prediction and common sense. What a brave guy, with a smile a mile wide when he crossed the line in time to keep the yellow jersey for one more day!

#39 brown

brown

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:40 AM

Here's the link to Tyler's race diary, which discusses his reasons for dropping out: http://www.velonews....les/6609.0.html

It's really too bad, I thought he was going to be on the podium this year, but bad luck seems to follow that guy wherever he goes.

On another note, I saw Fred Rodriguez shopping with his wife at IKEA in Emeryville on Sunday. Fred is the current US Pro champion, and won it in 2000 and 2001 as well. He's probably the fastest US sprinter out there, and in my opinion he got the shaft by getting excluded from the US Olympic team this year. How the US Professional champion can be off the Olympic team is beyond me!

#40 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:48 AM

Thanks, Brown. Tyler's diary entry was very touching, and it explained a lot about his injury. I also read on his website that he broke his back years ago. I hope with some rest and therapy, he will be able to come back.

#41 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 07:11 AM

Armstrong feeling familiar yellow at Tour

Armstrong notched his 18th career Tour stage win. (AP) Many expected Lance Armstrong to reclaim the yellow jersey on Tuesday, and that's exactly what he did. Armstrong won the 15th stage and assumed the overall lead at the Tour de France. Jan Ullrich, meanwhile, showed signs of life. Ullrich finished third on Tuesday behind Armstrong and Ivan Basso, who now is second overall behind Armstrong.

#42 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 07:56 AM

Armstrong cruises to dominant stage win

Armstrong has won two consecutive stages and now leads Basso by 3:48. (Reuters) Lance Armstrong was favored to win Wednesday's stage 16 time trial. He did more than that. Armstrong actually passed rival Ivan Basso – who had started two minutes before Armstrong – en route to dominating the Alpe d'Huez mountain climb and all but securing his sixth consecutive Tour de France win. Jan Ullrich finished second in the stage

#43 brown

brown

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 09:40 AM

Wow, no question at all as to who is the strongest in the Tour this year...that's 4 stages so far for Lance!

#44 Julio

Julio

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 02:34 PM

Goddamn EuroWankers...

European Fans spit at Lance Armstrong during time-trial

As if having started two World Wars isn't bad enough...

Some folks never learn....

I hope Armstrong wins again.

usa.gif
-Julio

#45 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 03:00 PM

I hope he wins too. They need security to keep the crowds back. They are way to close to the bikes.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users