42 replies to this topic

#16 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:00 PM

Just drove by the command post on Oak and before I got to S. Lexington we could smell a strong odor of gas. Literally right there. I hope they smell it too. 

#17 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

Had my furnace not come on when I put it to "heat".........   Had to go up into the attic and noticed a code, no gas or low gas was one of the possibilities.  Unplugged it and reset it....   Running fine now.   Just a pain to go up there......   Probably something to do with this I think.   Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#18 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:32 PM

Do you have a news report link for that? I saw that posted on facebook chat, but at that time, did not see a source. 

I'm sorry I don't have a link.  I didn't see it online.  I believe it was Channel 13 news I heard it on this morning.  I think yesterday they were saying it was 12 leaks located.  Most of them are on the east side of Folsom, I believe.

#19 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:37 PM

mine was the highest its every  been.  went from $69 last month to $128 or so this month, and I swear it was colder last month..

My current bill is also pretty high, but I did a comparison to last year's bill at the same time (Mid-Dec to Mid-Jan).  My usage was roughly the same, but I noticed that the per-therm rate had increased.  Last Jan, it was $1.20 per Therm for Tier 1 rates.  This Jan, it was $1.34 for Tier 1.  I cannot speak for the Tier 2 and higher pricing as I was only within Tier 1.  

Overall, both Winter 2016 and 2017 bills were higher than previous, but I also notice that my furnace has been running a lot more than in past years.  I think we've had more colder days these last 2 winters.  When we were at the height of the drought in the previous years, I do recall some balmy December and January days.  Plus since we've had more rain, I don't feel so guilty about singing longer in the nice hot shower.  

--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

#20 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:19 AM

Don't forget PG&E is still paying out big $$$ in the way of fines, compensation, and upgrade programs as the result of the San Bruno disaster.  Rate increases are their only source of funds to cover this.   The costs to PG&E:  lawsuit settlements - $565M, required system improvement and upgrades - $2.25B, PUC fines - $2B+ (not determined yet).  Something near $5B.  We customers get to help them pay.  

#21 maestro

maestro

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:58 PM

.Monday Jan 30 2017

42 gas leaks found in Folsom
PG&E still actively working to keep Folsom safe       By: Rachel Zirin, Reporter

PG&E Merlo said they found a total of 42 leaks and 38 of them have been fixed, as of 11 a.m. today.

Onsite answers Jan 30 and 31.

PG&E will be holding an answer center until 5:30 p.m. today and 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. tomorrow, Jan. 31, at their camp on East Bidwell and Oak Avenue Parkway. Merlo encourages anyone who has questions to come and ask them.
.. regulator station failed last Wednesday morning, Jan. 25.

PG&E took the failed station, located on East Bidwell and Oak Avenue Parkway, out of service...

Jan. 27, PG&E had 80 surveyors out in the field on foot to inspect and fix any gas leaks ... northeast of Highway 50 at Folsom Boulevard, southeast of Greenback Lane at Folsom Powerhouse State Park and northwest of Highway 50 at White Rock Road in Folsom.

#22 (Folsom Trails)

(Folsom Trails)
  • Visitors

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

.Monday Jan 30 2017
42 gas leaks found in Folsom
PG&E still actively working to keep Folsom safe       By: Rachel Zirin, Reporter

PG&E Merlo said they found a total of 42 leaks and 38 of them have been fixed, as of 11 a.m. today.

Onsite answers Jan 30 and 31.

PG&E will be holding an answer center until 5:30 p.m. today and 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. tomorrow, Jan. 31, at their camp on East Bidwell and Oak Avenue Parkway. Merlo encourages anyone who has questions to come and ask them.
.. regulator station failed last Wednesday morning, Jan. 25.

PG&E took the failed station, located on East Bidwell and Oak Avenue Parkway, out of service...
Jan. 27, PG&E had 80 surveyors out in the field on foot to inspect and fix any gas leaks ... northeast of Highway 50 at Folsom Boulevard, southeast of Greenback Lane at Folsom Powerhouse State Park and northwest of Highway 50 at White Rock Road in Folsom.

Lol....not laughing at you or at this potentially dangerous situation...just something else

#23 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:39 PM

PG&E is still out and about checking meters today.  It looks like they are working on School St. between Wales & Blue Ravine right now.

There's a whole gaggle of them meeting in the Lowe's parking lot, too.

#24 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:48 PM

I'm sorry I don't have a link.  I didn't see it online.  I believe it was Channel 13 news I heard it on this morning.  I think yesterday they were saying it was 12 leaks located.  Most of them are on the east side of Folsom, I believe.

I found the links on facebook. :) Lots of chatter over there.

I believe the crews will be in town for most of this week, at least per the PGE voice mail I received on Sunday night.

I heard the command center has been moved from the Lakeside church area to a more discreet location.

#25 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:25 PM

This whole PG&E episode has been scary.  That much effort and manpower means they were afraid something would blow.

And yes, my December bill, for a period when my family was on vacation for 3 weeks and not at home, was nevertheless twice the accustomed amount for December.  So we're getting ripped off for something that is definitely not usage-based.  No transparency, no honesty coming our way from PG&E.

#26 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 02:13 PM

This whole PG&E episode has been scary.  That much effort and manpower means they were afraid something would blow.

well, yeah, gas leaks are dangerous.  PG&E mobilized a huge force so they could deal with any eventuality that came up.  They called lots of trucks here from throughout the region to ensure we are safe.  isn't that a good thing?

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#27 (Folsom Trails)

(Folsom Trails)
  • Visitors

Posted 01 February 2017 - 02:58 PM

For me the question is why these leaks were allowed to accumulate and how long we may have been in danger. That and the fact they seem to be passing along their losses to we the public. You'd think after San. Bruno 42 leaks would not be allowed to happen..why weren't they testing and inspecting? Seeing all the trucks is a two way coin...yes it was reassuring but also how much of it was covering their own you know what's because of their own negligence.

#28 kfergo

kfergo

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:22 PM

For me the question is why these leaks were allowed to accumulate and how long we may have been in danger. That and the fact they seem to be passing along their losses to we the public. You'd think after San. Bruno 42 leaks would not be allowed to happen..why weren't they testing and inspecting? Seeing all the trucks is a two way coin...yes it was reassuring but also how much of it was covering their own you know what's because of their own negligence.

Their system alerted them of a pressure valve failure, which allowed a higher than normal pressure to pass through it. This was likely the cause of the small leaks that were found. Natural gas has a high odor threshold so that it can be smelled easily if there's a leak. The San Bruno incident happened after several residents had reported smelling it.

#29 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:47 PM

Maybe tangent to all this but my PG&E bill DOUBLED from what it typically is. Some have said theirs is even 3x normal for Winter. Wondering if this here was some huge rate increase or maybe something wacky with the meters from this (or some other unbroadcasted/unexplained event) that caused the huge increase. 

My bill went up too.  Apparently, a lot of people are asking the same question.  According to a story on the news (Channel 13) there was a rate increase to pay for safety improvements, but that should only be an increase of $7 a month, which doesn't corroborate with bills doubling or even tripling.  The news is still seeking an answer from PG&E to the question if the increases bump customers up into another tier.  This December only had a 1 degree lower average in temperature than last December so that really isn't an explanation.

Kind of disappointing when you've done your part and paid for new insulation and supposed energy efficient new HVAC system and your bill increases instead of decreases.

#30 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:09 PM

Natural gas itself doesn't smell, the Mercaptan they put into it does.  There weren't 42 leaks before the pressure event.  That happened as a result.  So far the word is, all fixed.  Can't explain the increased bill amounts though. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users