11 replies to this topic

#1 resident

resident

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:42 PM

How long have the been open? They seem to be disorganized.
I went there for breakfast a week or two ago and will not go back anytime soon.
If there are newly opened, I may try them again next year when they might have the kinks worked out.

I arrived and was taken to an outside table for breakfast. The weather was great and the view of the water was nice.
However, the table wobbled and had a still-wet coffee spill on it.
I had to call someone to wipe down the table and I held the table down by stepping on one of the table legs.
When I received my order, the server didn't give me any utensils to eat with. I had to ask for a knife and fork.
I ordered cranberry juice with the meal and it tasted like Ocean Spray out of a bottle and was not refrigerated. I got ice and stirred the ice around for a couple minutes to cool it down.
They forgot to take the menu away. It was still on the table when I finished my meal.
Most of the servers were high school age teens that seemed brand new to their jobs.
The main course omlette looked and tasted good. Fancy presentation.
The place seemed like they were trying to be upscale except for the very young and inexperienced servers.

#2 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:48 PM

I thought they just renamed it something else, is it still called Toast? Maybe they recently changed owners or something.

Sounds like you just had some server pains, usually those can be cleared up with a quick conversation with the manager. Hey, you might've received a free breakfast out of it wink.gif
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#3 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:00 PM

Bummer to hear. I've been wanting to try that place. I LOVE Pizza Antica and have wondered how Toast would be. I guess I'll stick with pizza and skip the breakfast.

#4 resident

resident

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ Oct 23 2007, 03:48 PM) View Post
I thought they just renamed it something else, is it still called Toast? Maybe they recently changed owners or something.

Sounds like you just had some server pains, usually those can be cleared up with a quick conversation with the manager. Hey, you might've received a free breakfast out of it wink.gif

I may try it again in a few months since the food itself was fine. I know they are trying to give the place an upscale feel, but it's hard to take that seriously when 10th graders that clearly don't know what they're doing are serving you.
A glitch or two might have been OK, but it was annoying how many problems came up by the end of the meal.

#5 resident

resident

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:29 PM

I found their review on Yelp http://www.yelp.com/...kZhRZGX1EJL4FcA

Two mixed reviews on both food and service, but only two reviews, so it's hard to judge based on that small number.

#6 aeater

aeater

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:22 AM

I just recently found Toast, and I have to say that I did not have the same experience as you guys. I ordered the breakfast burrito and I truly believe that it was one of the best burritos I have ever had in my life. I found the service to be very good although yes they did all appear to be quite young. I feel badly when people post such negative things on a new restaurant as having been a server myself years a go I know how hard it really is. Oh well, I will for sure be back and I am more then happy to be patient with kids learning a job.

#7 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:34 AM

Thanks for the additional input. Maybe the next time we want some breakfast out, we'll give it a try.

#8 foodlvr

foodlvr

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:08 PM

In regards to Toast restaurant, i was there when they first opened. My experience was very similar to you guys. I wasn't all that impressed with the service but the location is a hidden gem. Where else in this area can you enjoy breakfast pond front? So I was disappointed that my experience didn't match the venue. I decided to give it another try because the food wasn't the problem.
I was there this sunday ( 11-4-07) for breakfast. As i entered the restaurant i was greeted immediatly. I mentioned that i would like to sit outside by the pond and was told it would be a few minutes for a table. The restaurant was full so they must be doing something right. As i waited i noticed the fall decorations on the walls and flowers on the tables, which gave a great warmth to the restaurant. I was offered coffee while i waited. As i was taken to my table i heard music. There was a piano player outside. Come to find out they have live music friday and saturday nights as well as on the weekend mornings. I had a great experience. i ordered The banana pancakes that were on special. It was like i was at a whole different restaurant. The service was a complete 180 from last time, my coffee cup was never empty, the food was great and the manager personally came by my table to make sure everything was just how i wanted. When asked, she mentioned there was a change of managment. It is an obvious improvment.
The servers are still young , but seem to be better trained. Those of you that had a bad experience i recommend giving it another try. Like you said it takes a while for a restaurant to work out the kinks. They are definitley headed in the right direction.

#9 Spicy

Spicy

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:Anything that is fun

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:08 PM

I got sick eating food at Toast over the weekend.

Life moves on!
"Uh-oh....The Sushi goobers here won't be happy with you on this one!!"
ChipShot, Oct 30 2007, 08:09 AM

#10 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:11 AM

QUOTE(Spicy @ Nov 13 2007, 06:08 PM) View Post
I got sick eating food at Toast over the weekend.

Life moves on!

I got sick yesterday from the caesar salad at pizza antica!!
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#11 Spicy

Spicy

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:Anything that is fun

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(4thgenFolsomite @ Nov 14 2007, 08:11 AM) View Post
I got sick yesterday from the caesar salad at pizza antica!!

A good possibility from the Casesar Dressing left outside too long.
Pizza Antica & Toast have different owners.
The person who owns Quarry Ponds Center also owns Toast.
"Uh-oh....The Sushi goobers here won't be happy with you on this one!!"
ChipShot, Oct 30 2007, 08:09 AM

#12 resident

resident

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE(aeater @ Nov 6 2007, 10:22 AM) View Post
I just recently found Toast, and I have to say that I did not have the same experience as you guys. I ordered the breakfast burrito and I truly believe that it was one of the best burritos I have ever had in my life. I found the service to be very good although yes they did all appear to be quite young. I feel badly when people post such negative things on a new restaurant as having been a server myself years a go I know how hard it really is. Oh well, I will for sure be back and I am more then happy to be patient with kids learning a job.

I posted my experience the day I went. Toast seems to be trying to present a more upscale image than teen kids learning their first jobs as servers can support.
They didn't do basic things like make sure the table was clean, had silverware or take the menus away after taking the order.
A glass of unrefrigerated cranberry juice out of a bottle added to the annoyance since it cost over $4 and I could have bought a family size bottle of the same thing at Safeway for less. At least chill it before serving it. Geez.
It's not like we were quizzing them on what the best wines to go with a dinner was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users