• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE(4thgenFolsomite @ Jul 20 2008, 11:48 AM) View Post
... around Lake Natoma and up to Folsom Lake, its under State Park jurisdiction and they post signs that indicate that bikes should yield to pedestrians and they DO NOT maintain dirt paths. Any biker who tells you to get in the dirt in the state park section is WRONG and does not know the rules.

I would imagine the same applies for all the Folsom City trails as they have no dirt paths.
Bike riders need to slow down and figure all us walkers are lump heads and not nearly as sophisticated as real bikers are - you can see that just in the attire we walkers wear- no body clinging funny colored pants and jerseys.... tongue.gif

If I was told to 'get in the dirt' My hand would as fast as I could and share some with the rider...

Cheers
F500

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#17 Warren G

Warren G

Fancy Title goes here

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Jul 21 2008, 11:04 AM) View Post
Where are those decomposed granite trails? (thanks in advance for the info)

Just down river from the new rainbow bridge is a dirt path that begins just before the paved trail goes downhill. After the downhill it soon becomes decomposed granite, which is especially nice when it's wet out because the trail surface remains firm and doesn't get muddy.

The trail is always between the paved path and the lake/river and it goes all the way to the Aquatic Center at Hazel Avenue. There are a few hundred yards where the space between the paved trail and the lake are too narrow (up river from the island) for this path so for those stretches you have to walk along the paved path. There are numerous places where the trail is adjacent to the paved trail so you can get on this trail in many places. There are a few picnic tables along the way and some nice vistas that look across the lake. One vista is especially nice near sunset and I often see a lady doing her Tai Chi there.

On the Orangevale side of the lake/river there is a dirt path from the Nimbus dam to the new rainbow bridge. Within the first mile there are a couple of nice extensions that go out to the end of Main Avenue and you will often see flocks of turkey among the rolling hills and ducks on a hidden pond just 200 yards from the paved trail at the little footbridge.

These hills have much more prairie grass and a more remote feel than the Folsom side, and the area is especially nice in the Spring. I don't think the signs are around anymore but there are a couple of nice campsites (no facilities) in the area between the paved path and the lake near the inside of the bend in the lake. This area of the parkway is often near 1/2 mile wide (from lake to neighborhood streets).

There is a more rugged dirt path on the Orangevale side that begins about 300 yards upriver from the restored iron footbridge adjacent to Rainbow Bridge. The trail goes uphill for about 3/4 mile, and then you can take a spur trail out to a nice (private) overlook that offers a full view of Folsom and the river below. Then you can go back to the main (dirt) trail and continue upriver through an ancient olive grove and see granite road markers and road bed for the old dirt road that preceded the paved version of Folsom-Auburn Road. In about 3/4 mile you'll come to another overlook that has a good view of the prison, dam, and the new-new bridge being built.

The dirt trails on the Orangevale side are too challenging for most MTB riders so you'll rarely see them on those trails.
"Is that your bike? It sure looks fast."

#18 harrmill

harrmill

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:55 PM

As an avid cyclist and trail user, I am often horrified at the lack of judgement and manners displayed by my fellow riders. No-body owns the trail and there are signs saying whom should yield to whom - Bikes yield to horses and peds and the speed limit is 15 MPH. My wife has had to cuss out guys snarking at my daughter walking her bike up a steep section on several occasions. There is no excuse for this poor behavior, and on behalf of all decent bicyclists (there are more than naught) - my apologies! Please do not let idiot bicyclists stop you from enjoying Folsom's awsome trails!

As for the jurasdictions - it gets confusing because I hear on State Park lands (Lake Natoma to Folsom Lake), peds are supposed to walk *in the same direction* as bikers. When you get on to County Park land (Hazel and westward), peds are supposed to walk *against* bike traffic. This can be especially confusing around the area where they meet up - near the hatchery (downstream on the ARBT they have painted the rules on the trail itself every 0.5 mile - on State property, they do not have that).

I ride the trails several times each week year-round, and July is usually time for high bike traffic and low manners due to the Tour de France happening each July. There are definitely more posers out there now. Take heart, as soon as the race ends next week, many bikes will go back into storage until next July.

);-)

#19 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Jul 21 2008, 11:39 AM) View Post

"ironperson" triathlon rofl.gif
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users