14 replies to this topic

#1 jake

jake

Veteran

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 12:49 PM

I thought this issue was put to bed but it seems the city is putting the Intel Land back on the re-zoning block. This is a TERRIBLE idea!!! Why on earth would we ever want to take Intel's land from them? Does the city even realize how Folsom's economy would be in the gutter if Intel was gone?

loco.gif
"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."
-Yogi Berra

#2 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 03:35 PM

The City of preparing the necessary environment review documents in order to look at a PROPOSED rezone of the Intel property. Intel has yet to oppose the rezone, and since Intel is not increasing its workforce and complex, it would seem that they don't have any current plans for expanding on that property.

Rezoning does not mean the City takes possession of the land. Intel still owns it. Let's let Intel speak for itself. Folsom's economy has always been solvent - before Intel, and if Intel were to leave (don't think that would happen anywa) there are sufficient other business/industries to maintain the economy. Actually, many Intel employees complain that they can't afford to live in Folsom anyway, so maybe rezoning to allow multi-family housing right next to Intel would be a real good match.

#3 intelkid

intelkid

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 03:38 PM

Terry, i hate to break it to you, but Intel is shipping a lot of jobs off to India. If Folsom lost Intel, that is 7500+ jobs gone. That's worse than the shut-down of McClellan & Mather - look what happened there.

I have a really bad feeling about this. blink.gif
I believe you have my stapler...

#4 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 03:47 PM

And you propose to keep Intel jobs in Folsom how? Folsom has weathered lots of adversity, and lots of advantage. I believe we will manage.

#5 intelkid

intelkid

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 03:59 PM

Not ship jobs off to India, that's how. Intel's profits are way up and we're shipping jobs out of the country. I have a problem with the fact that we're reducing here and expanding in Malaysia, China and India, all governments which are shaky (at best)! I think Intel is doing a poor job in trying cut the bottom line, and investing in unstable land. Especially in these times of global terrorism, heaven forbid something happens when Pakistan get pissed and nukes India to kindom come, or some idiot with a truckload of C-4 drives in to an American-owned company. What then? I know it sounds very pessimistic, but this is a new world since 9/11.
I believe you have my stapler...

#6 Folsomite

Folsomite

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 04:35 PM

Intel has yet to oppose the rezone, and since Intel is not increasing its workforce and complex, it would seem that they don't have any current plans for expanding on that property.

Rezoning does not mean the City takes possession of the land. Intel still owns it. Let's let Intel speak for itself

I was at the 11/12 meeting and Intel did speak up for itself. They said it was purchased for business needs and pretty much told the council to stick it. In light of economic times, Intel plans on expanding at some time, and this would force them not to.

You're right, Intel would own the property, but they are not in the affordable housing business - which means they would have to sell the land.

Not a good idea to piss Intel off. Don't provide them a reason not to provide jobs here. Despite what you say Intel is the backbone of Folsom's economy and eliminating 7500 jubs would have a direct impact on all aspects of our economy.
The first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: Decide what you want.

Ben Stein

#7 bettyemahan

bettyemahan

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 05:57 PM

The city (Folsom) has shirked their duty for years. They don't care if their actions cause a problem for Intel.

Intel has SUPPORTED Folsom for years!

Some people don't live in the REAL world----only their own little safe area---the H--- with what is REALLY GOING ON!!!

I, FOR ONE, want to say THANK YOU to Intel!!!!! They have done more to support the excuse for a library building than anyone!!!!!

#8 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 07:28 AM

I agree, this is poor timing. In fact, I think any time would be a poor time for Folsom to tell Intel it has to sell its land. It's just wrong. Just because it's not developed yet does not mean that the city has the right to tell Sacramento's leading employer what to do with their own land. blink.gif

#9 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 08:19 PM

Betty - you must not have been in Folsom before Intel when the City was bending over backwards to get them to choose Folsom. Intel has made major contributions to Folsom because they're reciprocating for the welcome mat Folsom originally put out to them. It's always been a give and take situation between city goverment and the businesses and industry in Folsom. This is not a surprise to anyone - least of all to Intel. If they can't survive in Folsom, it won't be the community's fault, it will be based on state-wide or even national economy problems.

Intel has always been good to Folsom, but I think they'll agree that Folsom has been good to Folsom.

One other point, the city can propose rezoning on any and all property (including yours!) in its jurisdiction (except for federal property, but that's another story). The city tries to do its job within the statutory requirements and for the good of the entire community as a whole.

#10 Deanne

Deanne

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 01:46 PM

I think the bigger issue here is that of spreading the rezoning activity across the City instead of concentrating it in the Southwest corner of the city (to the detriment of the master community planning that was done years ago.) The Natoma Station and Prairie Oaks area, which is where the current land under discussion is located, has more than its fair share of rezoned area and to continue in this area is, in effect, to segregate the affordable housing zones as opposed to achieving diversity throughout the City. The other side of the river does not have its share, creating the perceptiion that zoning decisions are being made based upon politics, not upon what is truly best for the city and citizens as a whole. Intel has an obligation to its employees, its share holders and its customers as well (and there are a lot of them in Folsom!) as well to the City, and bowing to City Council pressures without pointing out the inequities does not position them as strong corporate citizens.

#11 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 01:57 PM

Deanne,

Welcome to myfolsom.com ........
newyear.gif angel.gif

#12 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 04:56 PM

Some of you are living way back in November. Intel no longer opposes the rezone of their property because they can toss in rezones on the rest of the 40 acres. They were unable to have their property subdivided and rezoned in the past. Now, it's a package deal. They want to rezone 10 acres to MFHD (the portion right along the Natoma Station property lines) and have tyeh remainder subdivided and changed from M1 to C3, partly to facilitate a hotel on one of the subdivided properties.

Once again, the city will probably dump on one corner of the city in order to pacify Intel and try to comply with the Legal Services Agreement before the judge shuts down permits again.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#13 Deanne

Deanne

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 10:07 PM

Folks have the chance to voice their opinion this Wednesday when the Planning Commission meets to vote on Intel's application to have its land rezoned. Those of us in Natoma Station sure would love others's support in opposing this- it's not just the impact, it is the inequity and the inconsistency with the agreed upon Master Plan for Natoma Station. Additionally, Intel's idea of a "development agreement" (as presented in the staff package) is completely inadequate in terms of impact mitigation.

#14 jake

jake

Veteran

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 10:31 PM

Anybody know when City Council is voting on this?
"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."
-Yogi Berra

#15 Deanne

Deanne

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 04:08 PM

Looks like this issue is continued until the meeting on the 25th.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users