#106 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:25 AM

QUOTE(ducky @ Apr 9 2008, 06:59 AM) View Post
Whether you think the train guy is being treated fairly or unfairly, I don't think this editorial puts the city in a good light. As a resident, I found it condescending and arrogant. There was no name attributed to the author. I think the city is the one that needed to blow off some steam, which tells me Mr. Goss has had more than 12 complaint calls.

Did we read the same article? If anything it makes Mr. Gold out to be the bad guy and not the City.
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#107 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Apr 9 2008, 07:25 AM) View Post
Did we read the same article? If anything it makes Mr. Gold out to be the bad guy and not the City.

You are right, Darth. This editorial didn't set out to give facts. It is purely to make Mr. Gold out to be the bad guy, which makes the city look petty IMHO.

Edit: For example, "Mothers, take a deep breath and relax. Children, dry your eyes.

We promise you, the sun will come out tomorrow. Everything is going to be okay."

Lines like this give me a good clue who wrote this editorial.

#108 Prairie Oaks Agitator

Prairie Oaks Agitator

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:57 AM

Editorials are written by the newspaper's Editor....

#109 Prairie Oaks Agitator

Prairie Oaks Agitator

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:57 AM

OK, it's not important enough to repeat, sorry Mods, my first double-post...nertz

#110 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:29 PM

"As a resident, I found it condescending and arrogant."

So did I.

From the editorial:

"For many, many years, his fees stayed the same."

Then raise them - but make it reasonable, not a 100% raise. It's their own fault for not raising the rent little by little over time.

"The people who run Folsom are smart."

Not about maintaining a positive public image.

"The city deserves more of a return on the millions it invested."

Irrelevant to the situation at hand.

#111 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE(Prairie Oaks Agitator @ Apr 9 2008, 10:57 AM) View Post

Apparently not in this case. The editor said it was written by "The Paper," and one of its "writers."

They were trying to show both sides of the story. A majority of the letters, emails, etc were on Mr. Gold's side.

#112 granto

granto

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE(ducky @ Apr 9 2008, 02:57 PM) View Post
Apparently not in this case. The editor said it was written by "The Paper," and one of its "writers."

They were trying to show both sides of the story. A majority of the letters, emails, etc were on Mr. Gold's side.

uh oh. Now the city has strong armed the newspaper to print their manifesto by putting an employee on staff. Shame on the city! lmaosmiley.gif Must be run by those homeless people that light rail imports every day. Now that the olympic flame is gone, maybe we can get the protesters over to city hall.

#113 Prairie Oaks Agitator

Prairie Oaks Agitator

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE(ducky @ Apr 9 2008, 02:57 PM) View Post

Ok, I'll just say that Editorials are SUPPOSED to be written by the Editor and attributed as such. For an Editor to pass off an editorial as done by "its writers" isn't proper. No surprise there, that's what one gets when making a former sportswriter into an Editor. I don't get the paper in paper form anymore, but I did read it on the Telegraph webiste, and the voice & style sound like the new Editor, overwritten and underthought and definitely unsophisticated.

But enough of that, complaints & mockery of the Telegraph should have its own thread. If I were to start such a thread, my first post would be: "Gee, I really miss Roberta ..."

Anyway : TEAM TRAIN !!

#114 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:13 PM

Interestingly enough, I agree with the "editorial" and it restates pretty much what I had to say about the subject here some time ago.

My point generally is that I don't want the city to subsidize the train guy. The "city" is you and me!

#115 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE(Terry @ Apr 10 2008, 03:13 PM) View Post
Interestingly enough, I agree with the "editorial" and it restates pretty much what I had to say about the subject here some time ago.

My point generally is that I don't want the city to subsidize the train guy. The "city" is you and me!

I haven't seen proof that the city is subsidizing the train guy. Go ahead and raise the rent, but be fair about. The extra fee is just a money grab. The "facelift" to the park angle is just smoke and mirrors to justify the money grab. If the city had done something to hurt his business I doubt they'd lower the rent.

I don't really care if the train guy has gotten a good deal all this time, if that's really the case. I like the way the train has been run for the last 17 or so years and would like to see it continue. Just my opinion.

#116 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:51 PM

Is it really a money grab when government budgets are a'hurtin?

The train was running today and seemed to have lots of little tots to take for rides. I was going to put my grand-nieces on it but ran out of time at the misfit zoo.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#117 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE(tessieca @ Apr 16 2008, 04:51 PM) View Post
Is it really a money grab when government budgets are a'hurtin?

The train was running today and seemed to have lots of little tots to take for rides. I was going to put my grand-nieces on it but ran out of time at the misfit zoo.

Yeah, I think it is. Why not cut waste before stickin' it to people that are actually doing a good job?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users