• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Rickykicks

Rickykicks

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:I like everything from hiking in the foothills to playing world of warcraft on my laptop. I've a conservative my nature and I fully support the brave men and woman serving overseas in our great military, may god bring them home safe! <br /><br />I work at The Hartford Insurance Agency, Workers Comp Division and I go to school at Folsom Lake College and study Anthropology.

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:48 AM

When I was younger I was always involved in sports of some kind. T-Ball and Soccer coming first, followed by basketball then football and track as I got older. I feel that compition found in sports helps your develop more character as an adult. How do you feel about that?
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss.
Robert A. Heinlein

Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.
Robert A. Heinlein

Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy.
Robert A. Heinlein

Never insult anyone by accident.
Robert A. Heinlein

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Robert A. Heinlein

#2 Rickykicks

Rickykicks

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:I like everything from hiking in the foothills to playing world of warcraft on my laptop. I've a conservative my nature and I fully support the brave men and woman serving overseas in our great military, may god bring them home safe! <br /><br />I work at The Hartford Insurance Agency, Workers Comp Division and I go to school at Folsom Lake College and study Anthropology.

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:48 AM

When I was younger I was always involved in sports of some kind. T-Ball and Soccer coming first, followed by basketball then football and track as I got older. I feel that compition found in sports helps your develop more character as an adult. How do you feel about that?
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss.
Robert A. Heinlein

Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.
Robert A. Heinlein

Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy.
Robert A. Heinlein

Never insult anyone by accident.
Robert A. Heinlein

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Robert A. Heinlein

#3 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:55 AM

Great post. I was a teen when I arrived here in the US so my parents never involved me in any sports. They were learning language and culture. Now I feel so deprived as I vow to get my kids in sports.

Now I am having a hard time between soccer vs basketball vs karate/martial arts. With limited budget, we need to choose wisely. We are leaning towards basketball because that is his favorite sports (for NOw as this changes by the week). I guess I just have to be cognizant and not push him one way or the other like some parents do.

#4 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (palango @ Mar 2 2010, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great post. I was a teen when I arrived here in the US so my parents never involved me in any sports. They were learning language and culture. Now I feel so deprived as I vow to get my kids in sports.

Now I am having a hard time between soccer vs basketball vs karate/martial arts. With limited budget, we need to choose wisely. We are leaning towards basketball because that is his favorite sports (for NOw as this changes by the week). I guess I just have to be cognizant and not push him one way or the other like some parents do.

Were you not alive before you were a teen and living in your mother country?

Sorry, a bit of sarcasm there-but ..was sports not available, did you not show an interest or was it not allowed for other reasons?

I know that for me--until high school, sports was not allowed because the school boosters program was too expensive. Parents in that school district felt parents should pay for everything.

When I moved, I got the chance to join an after school program.

#5 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE (Rickykicks @ Mar 2 2010, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I was younger I was always involved in sports of some kind. T-ball and soccer coming first, the discovery that I really wasn't very good at sports as I got older. I found that competition turned my friends into cocky jerks that didn't want to be my friend any more because I couldn't catch a ball on the run. Sports? You can have 'em.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#6 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

I started soccer and baseball when I was 5, played both until high school. I think sports are great for a couple of reasons. 1. It teaches kids how to work as a team. 2. It teaches them that hard work pays off. 3. It teaches them to not be poor sports. There are many others as well. But, I also despise sports for the some reasons, especially high school sports. It creates that "jock" mentality that I hate so much.

#7 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:24 PM

In junior high I was on the basketball team, and the softball team. I don't think either team won a single game. Heck, our softball coach didn't even know the rules, or if she did, she never taught them to us. It was pretty miserable, I just did it because I didn't want to run track, lol.

#8 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:31 PM

I think sports can be very beneficial but can also take a lot of time. My daughter has a high 90's average in school and that's where her focus is. She was going to join a sports team this month but decided against it because she doesn't want to give up her study/homework time. This was her decision.

I think she gets as much character building, etc from participating in her drama classes/productions.

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#9 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (supermom @ Mar 2 2010, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Were you not alive before you were a teen and living in your mother country?

Sorry, a bit of sarcasm there-but ..was sports not available, did you not show an interest or was it not allowed for other reasons?

Soccer is everywhere in the globe, but not much is organized at all. The structure, dedication, and the organization for organized sports in the US is second to none. Just driving in the Spring/Summer with all those soccer moms and baseball dads with mini vans everywhere.

#10 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (ChefRaven @ Mar 2 2010, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think she gets as much character building, etc from participating in her drama classes/productions.

te he he he.....I tell my daughter as I'm doling out a restriction that because she is naturally drama-ish, I won't ever have to pay for drama classes....

But, I know what you mean....you can find many of the same benefits of sports in other venues for kids who are not athetically inclined or physically able.

Art, music, scouting, volunteering, journalism, political sciences...

#11 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (ChefRaven @ Mar 2 2010, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think sports can be very beneficial but can also take a lot of time. My daughter has a high 90's average in school and that's where her focus is. She was going to join a sports team this month but decided against it because she doesn't want to give up her study/homework time. This was her decision.

Great post. Great decision. Great kid.

#12 glad2Bme

glad2Bme

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:43 PM

When I was a kid I couldn't participate in sports because of time & money issues. I went to a school that did not have a music program either, so I missed out on that too and although I'm not bitter about it, I wish I had the exposure to these things and the experience. So we put our kids in basketball a couple of times and in soccer, which they have been playing for about 5 years now and although they are probably the weakest players on their team, they still love it and have fun.......if they tell me they don't want to do it, I will respect their wishes and take them out. I just wanted them to learn to be with kids they didn't know, learn something about working as a team and following the rules, how to win with honor and lose with dignity but most of all how to play your best and enjoy it no matter what the outcome. I wanted them to try different sports like soccer in the summer and basketball in the winter so that they wouldn't be afraid later to participate in other things, if they wanted. I would have liked play basketball in high school, but because I had never done ANY organized sports in my younger years was totally afraid. Everyone else already knew the rules and were good from so many years of playing.

I think it also helps kids to become comfortable with change since you play at different times, different fields, and have to develope a whole new routine when the season starts and ends. At the beginning it seems impossible to fit in all the practices (2 for each kid, so for us, 4 practices a week and 2 games on Saturdays) and it seems like a sacrifice to give up your Saturdays, but when the season is over it feels like "now what will we do with ourselves!"

It's worth doing something as long as the kids enjoy it-- they really like feeling part of a team which can eventually end up feeling like "family".

#13 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE (palango @ Mar 2 2010, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great post. Great decision. Great kid.

Thank you. I think she's pretty awesome.

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#14 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:42 PM

Sports used to be played for fun....now it's played to be one of the gang and have parties afterwards. (major beer drinking and bragging)

I think sports today is a waste because too many think it's more important than education. Kids start to neglect their studies and get the "JOCK" mentality. I remember my brother thought if he made the team he'd get more girls. It only made his face break out more from all the sweating! Ha!

Also, Tiger Woods, whom I once admired, seemed to think he deserved to do whatever he wanted, by his own admission. I think that is the perfect example of how sports can ruin a perfectly good man. Ego and testosterone run amuck! lmaosmiley.gif

#15 Oldschooler81

Oldschooler81

Lived in Orangevale from 1991-1996.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Music and movies (especially anything '80s), computers, thrift shopping, talking and hanging out with people, writing, geography, mini golf, etc. Anything from the past interests me too, of course!

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE (Rickykicks @ Mar 2 2010, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think it necesarilly has to be with sports (though that can be one thing), but I agree with the basic principle. I agree the best thing with any activity like that is that it gives kids stuff to do, especially after school. For teens it's less chance of doing something like joining gangs or just generally getting in trouble; and for younger "kid kids" as you said it's just a character builder and just a fun way to pass the time.

Parents should definitely encourage kids to do those kind of activities, but not to the point of pressuring or pushing too hard. Although I'm sure the stereotypical "obnoxious little league parents" aren't the majority, lol.

I'm not against kids doing video games or tv (I'd be a hypocrite if I said that 'cause I did alot myself), but they should do more outdoor things too.

Personally, even though I'm a dude I was never a big sports fan. I did grow up around golf and played most of them at one point, but it was usually nothing beyond a casual level - like in school PE, with kids in the neighborhood or catch with my dad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users