• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 femmesavante

femmesavante

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Homeschooling, cooking, theatre....

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:53 PM

Does anyone have any experience with Folsom Convalescent Hospital? We are looking into transferring my husband's grandmother to this area and this is one of our options. Any feedback would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

#2 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

I have had family and dear friends there over the years. I suggest you get the best facility you can afford. Folsom Convalescent is for people on their very last legs and its an old facility. If she has some independence, try to place her with other seniors who are also capable of carrying on a conversation or socializing. good luck.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#3 sade1067

sade1067

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:13 PM

It was 10 years ago that we had my grandmother there, but they were absolutely fabulous. The key is to go often and at all different times. We went several times and stood outside my grandmothers door when the workers didn't know we were there. They were sweet and very compassionate with her. One of the teachers at our school also had her mother there and always talked about how great they were. It's not much to look at on the outside, but inside it was clean and very pleasant. I would go check and check it out on different days at different times and just observe. You might also ask them about the Ombudsman of their facility. You could ask the Ombudsman questions. You should also google reviews as well.

#4 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:39 PM

Go to the California Department of Public Health website and look up the facility in their Healthcare Facility Information system. You'll be able to see how many citations/deficiencies/complaints it received.

I believe the CANHR website also has ratings for nursing homes. www.canhr.org

Also the Medicare Nursing Home Compare ratings, available here: http://www.medicare....arch.asp?bhcp=1

#5 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:40 AM

Put her in a residential home that cares for seniors-there is one on Flower Dr and a couple others in Folsom. Don't put her in a nursing home unless you have no other options, for their sake and yours.
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#6 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:10 PM

Put her in a residential home that cares for seniors-there is one on Flower Dr and a couple others in Folsom. Don't put her in a nursing home unless you have no other options, for their sake and yours.

I don't think your comment is appropriate. If I had asked for a recommendation like this last Fall (when my late father had to go into a nursing home) and I had received this response, it would have really, really upset me and my Mom who HATED that it had to happen.

Don't assume those involved haven't thought through their options, that they want your judgment, or that you know better than them. You don't know the story, nor do you deserve to know. None of us do; it's their business, not ours.

#7 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

I don't think your comment is appropriate. If I had asked for a recommendation like this last Fall (when my late father had to go into a nursing home) and I had received this response, it would have really, really upset me and my Mom who HATED that it had to happen.

Don't assume those involved haven't thought through their options, that they want your judgment, or that you know better than them. You don't know the story, nor do you deserve to know. None of us do; it's their business, not ours.

I have to defend asbestoshills here a little. the poster was asking for ANY information, which would include judgement and options. we can't assume the poster has had experience with this before, hard to tell what the situation is, i.e. the condition of the elder they are moving. It is always a hard decision when an elder reaches that point in life. and it can come with a lot of guilt. we all do the best we can.

my plan is to go out on an ice flow eventually.

#8 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

You are talking apples and oranges.

A residential care home does not provide 24-hour skilled nursing care. It is for elders who need assistance with their activities of daily living or supervision due to dementia. It is not medical care.

A nursing home (technically called a "skilled nursing facility" or snf) is for elders with medical conditions that require 24-hour nursing care. They have nurses on duty 24/7.

If the OP's grandmother has medical conditions requiring skilled nursing, a residential care home won't be an option.

#9 femmesavante

femmesavante

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Homeschooling, cooking, theatre....

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:17 PM

Actually, she is in a nursing home now and we are just needing to transfer her to the Folsom area. She is limited as far as where she can go due to the fact that she has medi-cal to help pay for the home. I really do appreciate all the feedback given though I was also hoping to hear more from people with experience with that particular convalescent home.

#10 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:42 PM

I had a dear neighbor lady friend who lived there her last few years following a severe stroke. She seemed fond of staff and they of her. The facility was clean every time I visited. That's about all I can offer from my limited involvement.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#11 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:00 AM

Like I said previously, I have had three people close to me there over the years. The last was two years ago. She received good care. She was always clean. She said the food was good. The staff members I encountered were always friendly and my friend seemed to develop a first-name basis with some of them. If you have limited insurance options, then I wouldn't worry about putting your relative there. I think the management is very responsible and will take care of her. The bonus is that if you want to take her out, you can put her in a wheel chair and go right over to the park by the zoon, if she is able to do that. No car transfer, which is a big deal.

good luck! she's lucky she has someone looking out for her!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users