Photo
- - - - -

Iso: Carpool To Sutter Middle (From Briggs Ranch)

Are you an SMS CAVE family?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 5hannon

5hannon

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:42 AM

I am seeking carpool arrangements with another family, that lives in Briggs Ranch. With school starting on Monday, I'm not comfortable with the idea of my kiddo being delivered school crazy early, because I work full-time classes start time at 8:50 am. It's tough, because I'm aware of NO school or public transportation available.

Perhaps there's another CAVE family, we could help each other, and I could do PM pick-ups.

Anyone? If so, please PM me!

Thank you,
5hannon

#2 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:59 AM

Have you looked at the bus schedule?

#3 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:56 AM

I am seeking carpool arrangements with another family, that lives in Briggs Ranch. With school starting on Monday, I'm not comfortable with the idea of my kiddo being delivered school crazy early, because I work full-time classes start time at 8:50 am. It's tough, because I'm aware of NO school or public transportation available.

Perhaps there's another CAVE family, we could help each other, and I could do PM pick-ups.

Anyone? If so, please PM me!

Thank you,
5hannon

It's a pretty easy bike ride. Well, a little hilly, but no busy streets required and only about 3 miles.

#4 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:13 AM

The biggest problem to someone riding their bike that length from one of the middle schools would be the backpacks. Have you seen the backpacks these kids have to carry? It must be 40 pounds worth of stuff.

And I don't know that the buses would go to Briggs ranch because usually that area goes to FMS.

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#5 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:11 AM

It's a pretty easy bike ride. Well, a little hilly, but no busy streets required and only about 3 miles.

What would be your suggested route?  Let's say starting from Briggs Ranch Drive.

#6 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:52 AM

The biggest problem to someone riding their bike that length from one of the middle schools would be the backpacks. Have you seen the backpacks these kids have to carry? It must be 40 pounds worth of stuff.

And I don't know that the buses would go to Briggs ranch because usually that area goes to FMS.

The back packs can get heavy if they are in after school sports or have a musical instrument. Really though, the school books stay at home. If they clean their binder out every quarter the backpack should not be too heavy. as dorky as it sounds, if they get a rack on the bike, it can save their back. just tuck bungie cords into the backpack pocket during the day time.

Although, I can say, no kid will like riding their bike three miles to or from school on a rainy day. Maybe special arrangements can be made for those days?

#7 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

Not every class has double books. 

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#8 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:47 AM

What would be your suggested route?  Let's say starting from Briggs Ranch Drive.

Sorry, lost track of this thread. Assuming somewhere in the middle of Briggs Ranch Dr.,

Briggs Ranch to Randall

Left on Hancock (or continue to Willow Creek and turn left there)

Right on oak Parkway Bike Trail

Left on Marchant Dr. (just past St. John's Church/School

Right on Montrose

Montrose to Sutter Middle (or jog over to Persifer via Stafford).

I know a couple of kids who use this route to get to St. John Notre Dame School (about 1 mile closer) and we have used this route to ride with our kids to soccer games at Briggs Park from our home in the HD (a slightly longer ride).

From the west end of BR, it's a little more convoluted, but no more difficult, taking Porto to Arraya to Hancock.

As for the back packs, my kids carry full backpacks and have no complaints. They do not, however, ride to school in the rain, although they do ride home i n the rain. But, there are not that many rainy days in a Folsom winter.

BTW, this route is a classic example of the fact that, with a little creativity and knowledge of Folsom's residential streets and multi-use (bike) paths, a 10-year-old (7, if they are one of my kids who have been riding the city since they were 2) can get anywhere in the city safely without having to deal with busy streets (other than maybe having to cross one or two, but in most cases, not even that). And they will love the sense of independence...and maybe learn to deal with adversity when they get that first flat tire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users