ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Jun 20 2008, 02:52 PM) View Post
Witch Hunt?

Maybe 'witch-hunts' are exactly what our society needs at this point in time, rather than the mamby-pamby, touchy-feely, oh-pray-for-Brandi nonsensical tripe that we witness day-in and day-out in our soft-on-crime, oh-it's-OK culture.

Time to get tough....

If we don't slam our foot down, who will ??? thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#32 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE(old soldier @ Jun 20 2008, 02:56 PM) View Post
I am waiting for someone to worry about what this accident is going to do to Brandy's self esteem.

I think to put it in perspective that any 19 year old would be devastated causing the injuries that she did... and while time behind bars will secure it - I would imagine no kid of this age would ever get over what happened- and just maybe - she will make the turn that is needed in her life - and just maybe she can have a positive effect on others with her actions... whether they be the tragedy itself or her responses to it ...

The Every 15 minutes program could use such a story to appeal to young HS students and young adults to see the tragedy and make their own changes--

She will never be the same again -- nor will her victims... sorry to say -

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#33 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Jun 20 2008, 03:03 PM) View Post
Maybe 'witch-hunts' are exactly what our society needs at this point in time, rather than the mamby-pamby, touchy-feely, oh-pray-for-Brandi nonsensical tripe that we witness day-in and day-out in our soft-on-crime, oh-it's-OK culture.

Time to get tough....

If we don't slam our foot down, who will ??? thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Agreed -- and my previous response was not meant to give Brandi a pass- as she should be put in her place and then move to help others in her situation...
Often the best cure and the most effective method of deterrent for others in her situation not yet realized is not the cops, the parents , the friends - but one that has caused the harm -

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#34 kprincesskate

kprincesskate

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:24 PM

Well said!
The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it.

#35 leenda

leenda

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE(old soldier @ Jun 20 2008, 02:56 PM) View Post
I am waiting for someone to worry about what this accident is going to do to Brandy's self esteem.

Oh, pleeeeeeeeze. Who cares about her self-esteem. I hope she's mentally devastated for the rest of her life. And certailny hope that she serves some good jail time (at OUR expense, BTW)

#36 EDH Jen

EDH Jen

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Jun 19 2008, 08:18 PM) View Post
Teens these days really suck.

Darth, I understand your passion and reacting to the seriousness of the actions of this young lady, and the devastation she has caused - however, teens these days really don't suck. There are some that do, but I'm fortunate enough to be the very proud mom of a bright and thoughtful 16 year old who has volunteered for Snowline Hospice, Meals on Wheels, Habitat for Humanity, and an afterschool program that helps at-risk kids in El Dorado County with their homework.
Like many of his friends, he has opted not to start driving yet because he recognizes that he's not ready for the responsibility, and there's already no parking spots to be had at Oak Ridge.
He has a great group of friends, as well.
Take notice some time if you're ever at Nugget, Raley's, or Target in El Dorado Hills - they really don't suck.

#37 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE(EDH Jen @ Jun 20 2008, 04:51 PM) View Post
Darth, I understand your passion and reacting to the seriousness of the actions of this young lady, and the devastation she has caused - however, teens these days really don't suck.

From my, albeit amateur, research on MySpace. I think teens these days do suck worse than even my generation. The good ones are getting outnumbered more and more.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#38 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 20 June 2008 - 05:23 PM

Very sad. It's stuff like this that makes me very scared to ride in bike lanes. That's why I stick to dedicated bike trails and mountain trails.

Time and again we're reminded that people don't consider the danger driving poses and responsibility we must assume when behind the wheel. How thirsty do you have to be in order to reach for a water bottle in the next seat (floor?) while driving? Can the thirst not wait 5 minutes?

When will society take our responsibilities seriously?

#39 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:54 PM

If she was drunk that early in the morning, she was more than likely up drinking all night...
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#40 hopeanelli

hopeanelli

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Interests:Drag Racing, Motocross, boating and my boys....

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE(EDH Jen @ Jun 20 2008, 04:51 PM) View Post
Darth, I understand your passion and reacting to the seriousness of the actions of this young lady, and the devastation she has caused - however, teens these days really don't suck. There are some that do, but I'm fortunate enough to be the very proud mom of a bright and thoughtful 16 year old who has volunteered for Snowline Hospice, Meals on Wheels, Habitat for Humanity, and an afterschool program that helps at-risk kids in El Dorado County with their homework.
Like many of his friends, he has opted not to start driving yet because he recognizes that he's not ready for the responsibility, and there's already no parking spots to be had at Oak Ridge.
He has a great group of friends, as well.
Take notice some time if you're ever at Nugget, Raley's, or Target in El Dorado Hills - they really don't suck.

I agree Jen, I don't think teenagers suck either some are misguided and need someone to take charge but they don't suck. I too have a 17 year old son who is a "great" kid. He is a starting varsity football player who is popular, doesn't drive (his choice and trust me he has some beauty's in the garage he could drive), he is popular he gets invited to lots of partys he never goes and if you ask him why he says 2 reasons- I don't want to drink and while I can say NO there is so much peer pressure I just choose not to go, the other is I signed a contract when I made the commitment to football that I would be a good example a mentor and that if I get caught drinking or doing drugs my football days are done...

So with that said not all teenagers are bad they just really need guidance through these hard years all of us on this forum were once teenagers and I am sure we all made some stupid decisions but we are here now. As far as this young lady well it's a bad thing for her and I think she will live with a lot of guilt for the rest of her life regardless of what her punishment is she will pay for this in her own head. My prayers are out to the "Kathi's" I hope God watches over them and helps them recover. From all the blogs I have read they are Gods angels here and I am sure when they pull through this they will also pray for this young lady ---

For all of the parents with teenagers and those who are just starting off with babies remember to guide your children help them have self confidence and values make them set goals for themselves early on so when they are put in situations they think about the goals they have set and the commitments they have made and hopefully they will not put themselves in positions to jeopardize those goals/commitments---

#41 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE(camay2327 @ Jun 20 2008, 07:54 PM) View Post
If she was drunk that early in the morning, she was more than likely up drinking all night...

quite likely, in which case odds are she was even more plastered a few hours earlier and so at 10 AM, she wasn't just drunk, but she quite likely was a drunk feeling the effects of a nasty hangover at the same time.

does it make her a "teenager that sucks", NO, but it does make her a person that made a poor decision while in a state of mind that is not always conducive to rational thinking. But that is still no excuse for her not paying the price for the crime she committed. Letting her off easy is like rewarding her bad behavior, she needs to face the full consequences of her actions like an adult.
I would rather be Backpacking

#42 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:50 AM

Probably brought up by liberal minded parents who thought that spanking their kids is a horrible, horrible, thing to do. I know...instead of prison, let's give her a 5 minute time out.

#43 pet lover

pet lover

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE(hopeanelli @ Jun 20 2008, 11:19 PM) View Post
I agree Jen, I don't think teenagers suck either some are misguided and need someone to take charge but they don't suck. I too have a 17 year old son who is a "great" kid. He is a starting varsity football player who is popular, doesn't drive (his choice and trust me he has some beauty's in the garage he could drive), he is popular he gets invited to lots of partys he never goes and if you ask him why he says 2 reasons- I don't want to drink and while I can say NO there is so much peer pressure I just choose not to go, the other is I signed a contract when I made the commitment to football that I would be a good example a mentor and that if I get caught drinking or doing drugs my football days are done...

So with that said not all teenagers are bad they just really need guidance through these hard years all of us on this forum were once teenagers and I am sure we all made some stupid decisions but we are here now. As far as this young lady well it's a bad thing for her and I think she will live with a lot of guilt for the rest of her life regardless of what her punishment is she will pay for this in her own head. My prayers are out to the "Kathi's" I hope God watches over them and helps them recover. From all the blogs I have read they are Gods angels here and I am sure when they pull through this they will also pray for this young lady ---

For all of the parents with teenagers and those who are just starting off with babies remember to guide your children help them have self confidence and values make them set goals for themselves early on so when they are put in situations they think about the goals they have set and the commitments they have made and hopefully they will not put themselves in positions to jeopardize those goals/commitments---

GOOD JOB to the two of you for raising moral and responsible boys!!!

#44 pet lover

pet lover

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:50 PM

Kathy Hurd has had surgery and is currently participating in Physical Therapy. She is expected to have a complete recovery. Kathi Sturgeon is still in a coma, fighting a fever, and making small positive signs of progress. Both ladies have a rough road ahead of them and prayers for the ladies and their families are greatly appreciated.

#45 ShayShay

ShayShay

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:13 PM

Thank you for the update. We will definitely keep praying for our Lakeside sister and her friend. Blessings!

QUOTE(pet lover @ Jun 24 2008, 09:50 PM) View Post
Kathy Hurd has had surgery and is currently participating in Physical Therapy. She is expected to have a complete recovery. Kathi Sturgeon is still in a coma, fighting a fever, and making small positive signs of progress. Both ladies have a rough road ahead of them and prayers for the ladies and their families are greatly appreciated.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users