#16 bmwonly

bmwonly

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle riding, Fishing

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:23 AM

Valero is a scam anyway, they post a lower price, then in smaller print is says "cash or Valero credit card", the price for debit card is .10 higher

wow, thanks for the warning! so I wonder if all credit cards are vulnerable. seems like it would be easy for them to prove. sorry you had to learn the lesson to teach us.

The main problem with retirement is I don't have anything to do so I never know when I'm done!!

#17 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

I assumed you had to know him you seem to be protecting a thief ? Why ? He is what he is ? Good people don't steal from other people ? Good people don't protect thieves !

I know him as I am a customer enough he calls me by my first name. ( probably because it is on my card.) But I also know I pay attention to the news reports and every single gas station in folsom has been hit by these card readers. I know I follow the instructions or "recommendations" of the cops and always go inside and use my card inside to make gas purchases.

It is always possible that there are bad businesses out there ( remember the pizza place?)- but since every single gas station has been fighting this elusive problem, I think it irresponsible of anyone without concrete proof to make these types of accusations.

Obviously you lost a lot of money and are P/O. I would be too.
But in this situation I would leave the accusations to the coppers and let them investigate this.

Further, by your description of how the card skimmer devices work, I think you have an unrealistic view of how they get there and how they are accessed.

#18 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

Sorry I think this conversation will quickly deteriorate, and I don't want that to happen. Please read this article on skimmers. They are found in atm machines, as well.

http://www.cbsnews.c...t-the-gas-pump/

#19 Judge Smails

Judge Smails

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

I am not sure about ATM card or Visa/ Master cards ? I only used my Valero card at that station ? The charges started that day in the LA area $150.00 each time my Pruis only holds 10 gallons? The owner and his wife are middle eastern and when I called the stations in the LA area the people answering the phone had a accent to ? They are net working together sad ah ?

All "Middle Easterns" know each other and network together just like all Europeans know each other. How do you they are "Middle Easterns"? Do you have an ethnicity detector?

#20 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

Posted Image
Here is what one looks like when installed. They just take out the regular reader and slip one of these into the slot. This is why they are often not caught until a complaint is made that a persons account is being scammed.

I had one scam me $20 twice a week for several months at gas station on the corner of Bradshaw and Old Placerville. When I reported it they told me the same thing they told you. They are taken out and put back in so often it is hard to track the criminals.

#21 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

All "Middle Easterns" know each other and network together just like all Europeans know each other. How do you they are "Middle Easterns"? Do you have an ethnicity detector?

Wow, I speed read that paragraph and only referenced the first half of it. Basically I missed that part. Totally uncalled for.

#22 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

supermom, I think it would be great if you contacted the owner about this being brought up.
I'd hate to see people avoid a business just based on one (or two) allegations on a forum.

Like you, I try and avoid the outside pumps at any station.

I think ATMs are usually the devices attached to the outside so they are easier to detect.

#23 Judge Smails

Judge Smails

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

Wow, I speed read that paragraph and only referenced the first half of it. Basically I missed that part. Totally uncalled for.

Read it again. It is in support of the owners.

#24 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

Read it again. It is in support of the owners.

Yes, I meant I totally speed read the OP statement and missed the last two lines. Quite unacceptable.

#25 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:18 AM

supermom, I think it would be great if you contacted the owner about this being brought up.
I'd hate to see people avoid a business just based on one (or two) allegations on a forum.

Like you, I try and avoid the outside pumps at any station.

I think ATMs are usually the devices attached to the outside so they are easier to detect.

Yes I will. They give my kids a free drink every now and then. They are always friendly, and their little girls are cute as a button.

There are actually devices used for card skimming at an ATM, aw well as a gas pump. You can buy them online, and if you know how to transmit encrypted data wrelessly after downloading a skimmer card--voila.....Identity theft 101 class.

#26 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

You would think, but it is not practical.

But, I know the owner. I will go down there and let him know about this thread and see if he is in fact aware that this person is targeting him as a thief.

ok--I should have a softer tone--I will let the owner know that someone has brought this incident to the attention of Folsom residents via an online forum.

:)

It might not be good to insert yourself and jeopardize an on-going police investigation. Plus if you tip off a potential thief, that makes you an accessory to the crime.

#27 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

It might not be good to insert yourself and jeopardize an on-going police investigation. Plus if you tip off a potential thief, that makes you an accessory to the crime.

This is a public forum. And the op states he already reported it to the police. And no it wouldn't make me an accessory. Ha ha ha haaa where do you come up with this? Watching a little too much Perry Mason?

#28 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

This is a public forum. And the op states he already reported it to the police. And no it wouldn't make me an accessory. Ha ha ha haaa where do you come up with this? Watching a little too much Perry Mason?

From Adam-12, still love you, mean it :)

#29 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

Seriously, I had never heard of that show before.

#30 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

Seriously, I had never heard of that show before.

I'm pretty old, check out the show here ADAM-12

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users