#16 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE(mylo @ Jan 3 2007, 10:04 AM) View Post
Attempting to block it in Empire Ranch should result in the same lawsuit the city can't win.

The community in Old Town is organized enough, at least enough to get this topic in the news 2 straight days. But for some reason this part of the community suffering the responsibilities of the entire city, to avoid lawsuit, is acceptable to those in other communities.

I understand the need to be close to jobs/transit, but there are buses throughout town and other areas along RT that are just as accessable.

Look at Bidwell St today: Decrepit homes, a tire store, senior assisted living, low income apartments, an empty rail yard-ish thing storing cars, a barely painted school district bunker, and now psychatric living and homeless shelter? Come on! Enough is enough! The HD is trying to work it's way back up, and this is another burden it just doesn't need to bear. The rest of the city needs to step up!

I absolutely agree, Mylo. It really does seem that this general part of town gets the short end of the stick a disproportionately high amount of the time. From torn up streets that take forever to get repaired to a seeming hodgepodge of zoning and development. A trip down Sibley or Bidwell underscores this pretty well. It's a very convenient place to live in this town and has some great attributes, but this often seems to be in spite of the city's efforts rather than because of them. I like many of my neighbors, I like being able to walk to old town, I like being less than 5 minutes from the grocery store. I don't like the way so many of this town's residents treat our neighborhood streets like expressways, the way that code enforcement seems to be non-existent, the way low income and now "psychiatric" housing is clustered here and the way the city seems to be unwilling to do anything about any of it because it might not be popular with people who live in other parts of the town.

I WANT to continue to live in this part of town, but it would sure be nice if the city would take steps to protect the area from the erosion of neglect, traffic and hodge-podge zoning.

#17 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE(cw68 @ Jan 3 2007, 10:31 AM) View Post
There is no public transportation in ER, along Blue Ravine, Natoma, Broadstone or most of Oak Avenue.

Perhaps not, but that seems pretty easy to fix. Besides, I'd guess that there are at least as many employment opportunities withing walking distance of many of those neighborhoods than there are in the Central and Historic Districts. Lots of new shopping centers in those areas.

#18 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE(Orangetj @ Jan 3 2007, 10:43 AM) View Post
Perhaps not, but that seems pretty easy to fix. Besides, I'd guess that there are at least as many employment opportunities withing walking distance of many of those neighborhoods than there are in the Central and Historic Districts. Lots of new shopping centers in those areas.

With Palladio moving in, combined with existing retail, Broadstone seems to have the most 'low-income' jobs in the city, access to Folsom Stage Line, and close to the freeway. Not to mention closest to the new Super WalMart. Seems like the best location to me.

Oh, wait, it's near million dollar homes, that can't happen now, can it!
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#19 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(mylo @ Jan 3 2007, 03:37 PM) View Post
How about all up Iron Point, then? or Broadstone/E. Bidwell?

Or how about improving public transit? It's not just for homeless people, you know!

RT shows Route 10 going up Iron Point.
Also, there is a light rail right of way along Blue Ravine for future use

#20 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:37 PM

Why do you dehumanize people so much to the point that you can't even stand for a lower income person to be living by you? Most of you are in debt over your eyeballs and can barely afford to live here yourself.....By the way, most of the jobs in Folsom are low, working service sector jobs with the exception of the prison and INtel and a few software companies and Kaiser....Who do you think you are that you are so better than someone trying to get decent housing in a nice area??? Would u rather them sleep under a bridge or see mentally ill people not getting the help they need? Many of the mentally ill were in the military before and do we not owe it to the most vulnerable populations to help them? I mean the homeless/mentally ill people should be served if they are from this community....I'm not saying take all of the homeless and mentally ill people from all over, but certainly helping people in our own community seems like a positive.....And on another note, why do you want all of the retail growth like malls and chain restaurants here, if u didn't want low income people to visit here? Most poor people spend more of their disposable income on retail and restaurants than the rich...Where do u think these poor service workers were going to live, in Rancho????
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#21 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE(asbestoshills @ Jan 3 2007, 12:37 PM) View Post
Why do you dehumanize people so much to the point that you can't even stand for a lower income person to be living by you? Most of you are in debt over your eyeballs and can barely afford to live here yourself.....By the way, most of the jobs in Folsom are low, working service sector jobs with the exception of the prison and INtel and a few software companies and Kaiser....Who do you think you are that you are so better than someone trying to get decent housing in a nice area??? Would u rather them sleep under a bridge or see mentally ill people not getting the help they need? Many of the mentally ill were in the military before and do we not owe it to the most vulnerable populations to help them? I mean the homeless/mentally ill people should be served if they are from this community....I'm not saying take all of the homeless and mentally ill people from all over, but certainly helping people in our own community seems like a positive.....And on another note, why do you want all of the retail growth like malls and chain restaurants here, if u didn't want low income people to visit here? Most poor people spend more of their disposable income on retail and restaurants than the rich...Where do u think these poor service workers were going to live, in Rancho????

Absolutely not. My argument isn't against "those people" or having a diverse community. My argument is against clustering large sections of low income, transitional, and senior care facilities all next to each other in a single section of our city.

History has shown that distributing these services throughout communities is a much better approach. That's why these laws exist. Exactly as you highlight, "Where do u think these poor service workers were going to live, in Rancho?", it's just not Rancho, it's all in or around the Historic District!

Distribute these necessary and legally required projects throughout our community. As is the spirit of low income housing laws and moral obligations.

#22 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:10 PM

I haven't many issues with low-incoming housing and believe in social services for everyone. However, I don't want them stuck out in the middle of nowhere where they won't be close to the services that they need. While we don't want all low-incoming housing stuffed into one block, placement of such homes should be well thought out so that they thrive in their homes.

Also, don't lump everyone in the same boat. I'm not in debt over my eyeballs, I don't think I'm better than anyone, I don't want to live in a bubble and want everyone to be treated with respect. Everyone.

#23 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:27 PM

...Most of you are in debt over your eyeballs and can barely afford to live here yourself.....

How dare you!!! I am only in debt up to my belly button! I could fix that if my wife would let me buy a bigger boat!

#24 Al Waysrite

Al Waysrite

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 02:11 PM

Here's a harsh reality. Housing for homeless/low income is going to adversely affect property values whereever it's built. The historic district values are lower than most or all other neighborhoods so if we have to have low income housing it should be in the area where values are already lower so as to lessen the impact.

#25 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE(Al Waysrite @ Jan 3 2007, 02:11 PM) View Post
Here's a harsh reality. Housing for homeless/low income is going to adversely affect property values whereever it's built. The historic district values are lower than most or all other neighborhoods so if we have to have low income housing it should be in the area where values are already lower so as to lessen the impact.

That's very socially conscious of you, Al. Thank you for doing your part.

#26 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(Al Waysrite @ Jan 3 2007, 02:11 PM) View Post

**sigh** Attitudes like this are why some think all affluent people want is for the rich to get richer and the poor to get poorer.

Al's argument (not Al) is one of the stupidest I've read in some time.

#27 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 02:55 PM

I'm not Al's statement above is entirely accurate. It's also a bit of a misperception that Historic District homes have lower values than those in most/all other neighborhoods. A quick search of Metrolistmls.com shows 7 homes for sale in the Historic District with a range from $329,000 to $715,000 for homes from 1348 s.f. to 2886 s.f.. The average list price is $495,000 and the median is $499,000. Price per s.f. averages out to $268. This appears to be in line with the rest of town and is, in fact, more expensive per s.f. than homes in many of the other neighborhoods in Folsom.

#28 Al Waysrite

Al Waysrite

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE(Orangetj @ Jan 3 2007, 02:55 PM) View Post
I'm not Al's statement above is entirely accurate. It's also a bit of a misperception that Historic District homes have lower values than those in most/all other neighborhoods. A quick search of Metrolistmls.com shows 7 homes for sale in the Historic District with a range from $329,000 to $715,000 for homes from 1348 s.f. to 2886 s.f.. The average list price is $495,000 and the median is $499,000. Price per s.f. averages out to $268. This appears to be in line with the rest of town and is, in fact, more expensive per s.f. than homes in many of the other neighborhoods in Folsom.

I stand corrected. I still won't stand for them in my neighborhood though. Nor do I want Mylo there.

#29 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:24 PM

I've met Mylo. He seems like a really nice guy. He can fit some incredibly large items in his convertible car, too! If you've never seen a Craftsman gas powered lawnmower in the back of a 2 door BMW, you're missing out.

#30 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE(Al Waysrite @ Jan 3 2007, 03:04 PM) View Post
I stand corrected. I still won't stand for them in my neighborhood though. Nor do I want Mylo there.

He might already be in your neighborhood. Mylo's moved up into quite a nice house. A verrry nice house in a verrry nice neighborhood in fact. Watch out Al!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users