• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:29 PM

Any plumbers out there?

We have PUSH/PULL shut off valves for our water under our bathroom sinks.

You push them in to get the water to flow.  Normally they work just fine. You only pull them out when

you want to shut the water off under the sink.

For the past month of so the cold water one under my wife's side shuts off by itself.

Is there to much water pressure that pushes it out and shuts it off?

I have to push it back in about twice a day.

When we get them replaced they will have one with a turn left or right knob on the valve.

Question is. Is the water pressure to high and it is pushing the thing out and shutting it off?

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#2 (Folsom Trails)

(Folsom Trails)
  • Visitors

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:10 PM

Camay, I am definitely no plumber but I think if it was the hot water than pressure could be the cause. The cold I think would be something else. Either way don't pay much heed to anything i've just said. Hopefully someone who really knows will post lol. GL friend.

#3 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:36 AM

We've only been here for about six months, but have heard stories from neighbors about Folsom water pressure being too high.  Most of the neighbors have a story about some water problem.  leaks from the valves for toilets and sinks, the previous owner of our house had to replace the outdoor hose valves which were leaking.  We had to replace the pool auto-fill valve just last Sept., again leaking and overfilling the pool.  Neighbor across the street had the kitchen sink valve completely fail, it actually broke off the pipe, and it flooded his entire house one day while they were at work.  they had to replace all the hardwood floors and carpets in the house - $23,000.  fortunately insurance covered it.  Every one of these problems relates to the pressure being too high.  When the plumber replaced the pool valve, because of the couple stories we heard, we asked him to replace all the valves in the house, toilets, sinks, bath tubs, showers.  the original valves had some plastic parts in them and were cheap.  the plumber replaced them with all-metal valves.  it cost about $1200 for everything.  Looking back probably worth it.

Where we lived in Colorado before, the city water pressure was a very consistent 45 to 50 psi coming into the house.  We knew because there was a pressure gauge on the main valve to the house.  when you look around Folsom, there are many houses that are located "up the hill".  just wondering if the city cranks up the water pressure to get water to these houses.  that way they don't have to put in expensive boost pumps for certain neighborhoods.  I have no idea what the water pressure in Folsom is.  Is it too high?  I don't know.  Is there some standard for city water pressure?  Again, I don't know.

#4 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:51 AM

We've only been here for about six months, but have heard stories from neighbors about Folsom water pressure being too high.  Most of the neighbors have a story about some water problem.  leaks from the valves for toilets and sinks, the previous owner of our house had to replace the outdoor hose valves which were leaking.  We had to replace the pool auto-fill valve just last Sept., again leaking and overfilling the pool.  Neighbor across the street had the kitchen sink valve completely fail, it actually broke off the pipe, and it flooded his entire house one day while they were at work.  they had to replace all the hardwood floors and carpets in the house - $23,000.  fortunately insurance covered it.  Every one of these problems relates to the pressure being too high.  When the plumber replaced the pool valve, because of the couple stories we heard, we asked him to replace all the valves in the house, toilets, sinks, bath tubs, showers.  the original valves had some plastic parts in them and were cheap.  the plumber replaced them with all-metal valves.  it cost about $1200 for everything.  Looking back probably worth it.

Where we lived in Colorado before, the city water pressure was a very consistent 45 to 50 psi coming into the house.  We knew because there was a pressure gauge on the main valve to the house.  when you look around Folsom, there are many houses that are located "up the hill".  just wondering if the city cranks up the water pressure to get water to these houses.  that way they don't have to put in expensive boost pumps for certain neighborhoods.  I have no idea what the water pressure in Folsom is.  Is it too high?  I don't know.  Is there some standard for city water pressure?  Again, I don't know.

If that were the case that the water pressure is too high, couldn't you just put a pressure regulator on the main line and be done with it?

We've had problems with things leaking, but it's usually due to the poor quality replacement options in the home improvement chain stores.  I miss OSH.

#5 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:50 AM

Yep.  Regulator would work too.  probably an expensive install, tho.  Not sure.  We worried about the high pressure on appliances - dishwasher, clothes washer, ice maker in the fridge.  We check the manuals and all were rated up to 150 psi at least.

And yes,  the stuff sold by Home Depot and Lowe's is crap (pardon my french).  they sell junk to be sure you'll come back for another replacement in a few years.  it's all part of their marketing plan.  

#6 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:43 PM

The city just replaced the pipes in the street. We were notified that our water pressure was 116 psi. That is FAR too high and explains why my old pop up sprinklers kept blowing the tops off. We have hired a plumber to place a reduction valve at the main. The valves are 100.00 and the labor is around 200.00.  Will drop it to 65-70 psi. Yes, it is very hard on appliances, pipes (if not secured properly during installation), valves, seals and just about everything else. I have a netaphim drip system for all plants and trees, and they require a huge pressure reduction to 10-15 psi I believe. That is already part of the system, but I am concerned with the ability of standard parts to handle such high psi.  Also, just had the elements in my water heater replaced, and the plumber said that the water inlet valve was barely opened. Apparently, the original installers were trying to reduce the pressure as the pipe made a huge amount of noise with the valve wide open.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#7 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:54 PM

Maybe the plumber's union pays off the city to raise the water pressure so there will be lots of future repair work in Folsom.  Maybe the Folsom mayor is the brother-in-law of the plumber's union chief.  Stranger things have happened.  Hmmm - maybe too many beers at lunch today which leads to conspiracy theories running around my brain. 

#8 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:15 PM

I miss OSH too.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#9 DougP

DougP

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:24 PM

It's been a few years since we lived in Folsom, but our average tract home had a pressure regulator already.  In fact, most of the homes we looked at prior to purchasing it had one.

The tell-tale giveaway is if you have a small 1-2 gallon expansion tank hanging around somewhere near your water heater.

If you have the expansion tank, then the regulator is typically on the outside of the house where the main line enters.  It can be adjusted with a large screwdriver or a small wrench to set the pressure.

The whole purpose of the expansion tank is due to the fact that water cannot flow backwards through a regulator.  As a result, when the water heats up from the water heater or just general weather, it has a place to expand into.

#10 Agent_007

Agent_007

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:26 PM

It's been a few years since we lived in Folsom, but our average tract home had a pressure regulator already.  In fact, most of the homes we looked at prior to purchasing it had one.

The tell-tale giveaway is if you have a small 1-2 gallon expansion tank hanging around somewhere near your water heater.

If you have the expansion tank, then the regulator is typically on the outside of the house where the main line enters.  It can be adjusted with a large screwdriver or a small wrench to set the pressure.

The whole purpose of the expansion tank is due to the fact that water cannot flow backwards through a regulator.  As a result, when the water heats up from the water heater or just general weather, it has a place to expand into.

i'm pretty sure plumbing code requires an expansion tank on hot water heaters as a safety measure for the hot water heater. i do not believe the expansion tank is an indicator of high water pressure at your home. they two items are mutually exclusive.

#11 (Folsom Trails)

(Folsom Trails)
  • Visitors

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:43 PM

I hope Camay is ok. He's been quiet. I wonder if he solved this problem too

#12 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:37 PM

I hope Camay is ok. He's been quiet. I wonder if he solved this problem too

I am going to put in a claim with my house insurance and get a lot of plumbing things taken care of. The insides of two toilet tanks and have them put in a new shut off valve under the one sink. This will not be a push/pull one either.

It will be a turn to the right or left to close or open. When the plumbers are here I am going to have them check the water pressure.

I purchased a new Vacuum Breaker, at Lowes,  for the water outlet in the back of the house. It goes between the house and the shut off valve for the garden hose.

I removed the old one a few months ago and just not got a new one to put in.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#13 (Folsom Trails)

(Folsom Trails)
  • Visitors

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:44 PM

There he is. Sounds like you are on top of it my man. GL with the claim and repairs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users