Photo
- - - - -

Plumbing Question: How Much To Install New Faucet?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 kanda

kanda

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:32 PM

Hi,

Just wondering what other's experiences say about replacing a leaky faucet?

We called a plumber (will remain anonymous) and he came down, took one look at it, and said we should replace the faucet. It's a 6-year-old Moen, and he said this faucet is known to have these problems. We have no reason to doubt this, but it obviously raises some concerns.

Anyway, he said replacing a new one would cost $288 plus tax. Does that sound like a reasonable amount?

We're going to get another estimate, but it would help to know what's normal.

#2 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE(kanda @ Nov 7 2007, 07:32 PM) View Post
Hi,

We called a plumber (will remain anonymous) and he came down, took one look at it, and said we should replace the faucet. It's a 6-year-old Moen, and he said this faucet is known to have these problems. We have no reason to doubt this, but it obviously raises some concerns.

Anyway, he said replacing a new one would cost $288 plus tax. Does that sound like a reasonable amount?

I think that's outrageous. If you're the least bit handy, you can do this yourself.

#3 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE(kanda @ Nov 7 2007, 07:32 PM) View Post
Hi,

did that include the new faucet too? if not that dude is nuts - thats way to high - the job takes about 15 minutes to do and requires very little skill other then wrenching the old faucet off and the new one on.

It shouldn't cost more then 50 bucks to do a faucet installation

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#4 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE(davburr @ Nov 7 2007, 10:05 PM) View Post
did that include the new faucet too? if not that dude is nuts - thats way to high - the job takes about 15 minutes to do and requires very little skill other then wrenching the old faucet off and the new one on.

It shouldn't cost more then 50 bucks to do a faucet installation

Have you priced new faucets? They are outrageous. A nice faucet will easily run over $100 dollars. However, a leaky faucet most likely requires a new o-ring or gasket for a cost of about 3 bucks. The guy is ripping you off. A decent faucet like a Moen should last 20 years easily. BTW, you said you have no reason to doubt him, why would you have no reason to doubt him and his evaluation?

Name names and out this dirtbag trying to rip you off.

...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#5 kanda

kanda

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:37 AM

This is one of those fairly expensive, single-handled kitchen faucets with the pullout spout. It probably costs about $125 - $150 (haven't priced them recently).

I would do it myself, but there's so little room under the sink, I can't possibly work under there, and I don't know how anyone over 5 feet tall can. I get a sore neck just looking at it!

What this guy said was it's a known design defect in this faucet (which they've since corrected) where the copper tubing is welded inside the stem. We'll call Moen and see what they say.

The cost is for faucet installation only; we supply the faucet, he supplies the labor.

I will "out" the guy only if I find out, for sure, that it's a ripoff. Which I doubt it is, since this company has been around for a while, and seems to have a pretty decent rep.

#6 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:42 AM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Nov 7 2007, 10:29 PM) View Post
Have you priced new faucets? They are outrageous. A nice faucet will easily run over $100 dollars. However, a leaky faucet most likely requires a new o-ring or gasket for a cost of about 3 bucks. The guy is ripping you off. A decent faucet like a Moen should last 20 years easily. BTW, you said you have no reason to doubt him, why would you have no reason to doubt him and his evaluation?

Name names and out this dirtbag trying to rip you off.

yeah they are expensive for the faucets, - if the installation price included the faucet then its a decent price, if it was $288 just for the labor then that is a complete rip off

also agree with you about those Moen faucets - it might be fixable with a new gasket

#7 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE(kanda @ Nov 8 2007, 07:37 AM) View Post
This is one of those fairly expensive, single-handled kitchen faucets with the pullout spout. It probably costs about $125 - $150 (haven't priced them recently).

I would do it myself, but there's so little room under the sink, I can't possibly work under there, and I don't know how anyone over 5 feet tall can. I get a sore neck just looking at it!

What this guy said was it's a known design defect in this faucet (which they've since corrected) where the copper tubing is welded inside the stem. We'll call Moen and see what they say.

The cost is for faucet installation only; we supply the faucet, he supplies the labor.

I will "out" the guy only if I find out, for sure, that it's a ripoff. Which I doubt it is, since this company has been around for a while, and seems to have a pretty decent rep.

go to the moen website and see if you can contact customer service to get a free replacement since its a known defect.... they just may do that. If you bought it at Lowes or Home Depot you may be able to contact them about this as well, in many cases they may take care of it for you.

that price of $288 just for the labor is nuts - that guy is WAY over charging you. It should not cost more then $100 (or less) at best for a faucet install - even at a rate of $50-70 an hour, the job should take no more then 30 minutes (at the most) to complete (but they always charge a minimum one hour)

#8 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:49 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Nov 8 2007, 07:46 AM) View Post
go to the moen website and see if you can contact customer service to get a free replacement since its a known defect.... they just may do that. If you bought it at Lowes or Home Depot you may be able to contact them about this as well, in many cases they may take care of it for you.

that price of $288 just for the labor is nuts - that guy is WAY over charging you. It should not cost more then $100 (or less) at best for a faucet install - even at a rate of $50-70 an hour, the job should take no more then 30 minutes (at the most) to complete (but they always charge a minimum one hour)

I just did my shower vavles/handles in both bathrooms. Total time 30 minutes. This was not replacement, this was for repair, so the whole assembly had to be taken apart. 30 minutes. The guy is ripping you off.

#9 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:50 AM

Way too much. I replaced mine a couple years ago, without the pullout spout or sprayer...those cause more trouble than they're worth. Bought a nice single-handle Price-Pfister (I think) at OSH for like $79, and put it in myself, and to my surprise, has been perfect ever since with no leaks, etc. Yes, it's awkward to do, but I did it...I just took my time so I wouldn't risk throwing out my back or something. But I agree a 6 year old Moen shouldn't need replacing. great.gif
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#10 Warren G

Warren G

Fancy Title goes here

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:52 AM

$288 just to install one faucet...? My wife owes me big time.
"Is that your bike? It sure looks fast."

#11 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:57 AM

it would be interesting to have you call some more plumbers and get bids and post them. it would sort of be find the honest plumber contest and then give the winner the job and post him...tell the old low bidder about the contest and that you will post his name and he might even give a bonus discount.

you know there is no such thing as a honest car salesman but there has to be an honest plumber out there.

#12 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:57 AM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Nov 8 2007, 07:50 AM) View Post
I just took my time so I wouldn't risk throwing out my back or something.

huh.gif

#13 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:20 AM

You would think with all of that money that plumbers make, they could fix their plumbers butt....No need to see that!
Does anyone have a name of a plumber for that lady? I don't, but maybe someone can share...
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#14 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:38 AM

Do it yourself, it's incredibly easy.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#15 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:43 AM

That does seem high, but replacing a faucet isn't always so easy. I have had two new faucets sitting upstairs for over a year because I thought I could replace them myself, but can't. When we moved in, I bought new faucets for two of the bathrooms. My father came to visit and offered to replace the light fixture and faucet in one. My Dad might be old, but he's done this a thousand times and it took forever because of the design of the system.

Forgive my lay-speak, but normally where you can turn the water on/off at the value, there's a joint that you can unscrew to change the line to the faucet and the faucet itself. Not in my house; the tube that runs to the faucet is continuous to the wall. My Dad had to cut the line and install a new joint-thingie to which he could attach the new faucet. Being old (close to 80), he was so uncomfortable and it hurt his knee and back and I'm not asking him to replace the upstairs' ones. One plumber gave me a bid of $150 per faucet to change given the difficulty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users