• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#31 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 11:07 AM

QUOTE(doug72 @ Jun 3 2005, 12:03 PM)
That's very surprising...I had heard Cabos was good....oh well....

View Post

They likely drank too much before dinner...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#32 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 03 June 2005 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE(swmr545 @ Jun 3 2005, 09:47 AM)
Rice Bowl off of Florin Rd. for their dim sum,

I cringe each time I see someone praising Mikunis, Taikos, and Aloha Sushi on their food.  Each and everytime we've been to those places, the food has been horrible and the sushi has been going bad.  Fresh sushi shouldn't taste like fish.

View Post

Mucho thanks for the tip about that place called Rice bowl - I've been looking for a restaurant around here that serves dim sum (at least til Fats opens...)

Seriously tho - I've never ever had bad sushi at Taiko's and I consider myself a connoisseur (I've had sushi all over the globe, especially a lot in Japan) and I hired a gourmet sushi chef to cator a party I had last year so I think I know good sushi very well and I've always been impressed with the quality and selection at Taiko. I thought Mikuni's was ok, but not great and I've never tried Aloha (yet)

Give Taiko another try sometime....they really are good.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#33 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 03 June 2005 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE(YabYum @ Jun 3 2005, 10:55 AM)
do you have a favorite in SF?
mine is a place called Goeman's (sp?). it's in the Sunset district, near 17 & Lincoln (i think--- a few blocks south of GG Park)

if you have a place to recommend though, i'm always up for finding a good place!

View Post

its been a few years since I last visited SF and I don't remember the name of the place.... I used to work there alot....but its been a while - I gotta go back one of these days.

I do remember a great sushi house near GG park....wonder if its the same place you mentioned - could be....

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#34 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 11:56 AM

Like I said once before, CABOs is fantastic. lmaosmiley.gif

F500 must not like it because there is a picture of GWB and Laura by the front door.

#35 doug72

doug72

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 12:02 PM

If that's true, then 500 is really a kook !!! rofl.gif

#36 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Jun 3 2005, 12:56 PM)

F500 must not like it because there is a picture of GWB and Laura by the front door.

View Post

Guess I didnt notice that - but come to think of it - maybe that was the reason for the stale smell of the air- the adhorantly poor color choices and the poor service... not to mention that bland food....

Cheers
F500

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#37 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 12:12 PM

I like Hacienda if for no other reason than happy hour outside on the patio...

#38 doug72

doug72

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE(john @ Jun 3 2005, 12:12 PM)
I like Hacienda if for no other reason than happy hour outside on the patio...

View Post

That's why we go there....

#39 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE(nhardy @ Jun 3 2005, 09:31 AM)
Aloha Sushi - overpriced mediocre fish
Cheesesteak Shop - skimpy on the meat

Mels Diner - Not open yet, but that place is absolute CRAP!!!!

View Post

ah! you all know my (favorable) opinion of Aloha, so I will take the high road and ignore your sentiment against them.

I must, however, concur on your Cheesesteak Shop review. I waited months for this place to open, having heavily calcified my arteries at their Walnut Creek and Pleasanton locataions for years. Sadly, the Folsom branch barely deserves the recognition of the famous 'Cheesesteak Shop' brand. They are _extremely_ skimpy on the meat, and undermelt the cheese and/or screw up my order every time I go there. A heavy dissapointment on my heart sad.gif

Adding my own $0.02; any of the chain places in town: Applebees, Mel's when it arrives, BJ's, and of course the Fast Food chains. Talk about overpriced for mediocre quality. Thank your deity Chevy's died, not that I'm a huge fan of Q'bole, just Chevy's sucks!

Folsom Family Pizza has been weird lately, they used to be consistently great but lately everything is starting to taste different, in a bad way :\

"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#40 Brett911

Brett911

Hall Of Famer

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 03:38 PM

Please refrain from positive comments of places to eat on this thread. Remember it's a "Worst places to eat in Folsom" thread.

Thanks for focusing your negativity in this thread.
"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know." -- Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld

#41 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 04:52 PM

Give the New Mel's Diner a chance here in Folsom.

I have been to the one in San Francisco several times and had no problems.

Check them out after they open and then give your opinion.

I will too.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#42 Mommy2Sydni

Mommy2Sydni

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 05:11 PM

Okay...I have the winner!!!
The teryiaki place that is on the corner of Glenn and Bidwell. I think it used to be a Chubby's or something...but it is HORRIBLE! We used to go to a teryaki place in Cameron Park, so when we moved down here that was the only one we found. We now drive back up the hill if we are craving a teryaki rice bowl!
Anyone had the same experience???

#43 DrKoz23

DrKoz23

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE(Mommy2Sydni @ Jun 3 2005, 06:11 PM)
Okay...I have the winner!!!
The teryiaki place that is on the corner of Glenn and Bidwell.  I think it used to be a Chubby's or something...but it is HORRIBLE!  We used to go to a teryaki place in Cameron Park, so when we moved down here that was the only one we found.  We now drive back up the hill if we are craving a teryaki rice bowl!
Anyone had the same experience???

View Post

I think I know what place you are talking about... "Teryaki 2 Go". I don't like that place at all! There is another "Teryaki 2 Go" down on El Camino near Watt... bad... just bad! So I'd have to agree with you there.

#44 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 03 June 2005 - 07:41 PM

"Please refrain from positive comments of places to eat on this thread. Remember it's a "Worst places to eat in Folsom" thread.

Thanks for focusing your negativity in this thread." LOL at Brett911!

Mels makes SUPER milkshakes. While burgers and dogs aren 't exactly what I go for when I go out to eat, they do a good job and their all-beef hot dogs are great (son loves them). I usually have their Chicken Caesar Salad if I go -- it's pretty decent.

For Dim Sum in San Francisco -- Gene Burns, who does the Dining Around Town show on KGO radio, highly recommends Yang Tsing at 427 Battery Street. I've not yet been there, but the next time I head into SF, that's where I'm going.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#45 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 03 June 2005 - 07:43 PM

P. S. I've yet to taste anything that tastes like Teriyake that comes from a restaurant with the name "Teriyaki" in it. The stuff is disgusting. I'd rather make my own Teriyaki marinade and stay home.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users