16 replies to this topic

#1 Tyto Alba

Tyto Alba

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:57 PM

Heard on the news that ISIS is training pilots in captured Syrian MIG 21 and MIG 23 Jets.       These jets are utilized by many different countries and parts are available around the world.   It only takes one ground crew member to service a MIG 21 and send the jet back in battle.

m0QSSom.jpg

N4oYIfv.jpg

#2 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:29 PM

If any of them ever got off of the ground before we turned them to flaming bits of metal they would not live long in the air, not long at all.   We own the sky, all of it, day and night.  They own the dirt, most of it over there, but not for long.   Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#3 Tyto Alba

Tyto Alba

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:49 PM

If any of them ever got off of the ground before we turned them to flaming bits of metal they would not live long in the air, not long at all.   We own the sky, all of it, day and night.  They own the dirt, most of it over there, but not for long.   Chris

Don't underestimate the damage that a Supersonic Jet can do before anything can catch up.    Again,    it only takes one ground person to conduct service and rearm a MIG-21.     ISIS is in control of a large area of Syria and Iraq right now and can get one off the ground.  They are in range could hit Turkey or Israel.

#4 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 03:09 PM

Don't underestimate the damage that a Supersonic Jet can do before anything can catch up.    Again,    it only takes one ground person to conduct service and rearm a MIG-21.     ISIS is in control of a large area of Syria and Iraq right now and can get one off the ground.  They are in range could hit Turkey or Israel.

Sure, I know, never underestimate your enemy but in this case I am not very worried.  It also takes a runway, fuel, maintenance, and ordinance folks to make them work.  These guys are very bad at maintenance and procedure and have no guidance in the air once they are wheels up.  If they did get a Mig 21 off the ground AWACS know it.   Anyway, ever see a Mig 21....?   I have probably seen and been around 7 or 8 or so in my life and they are not very big and can not carry very much ordinance.  A one way mission for the poor idiot flying it even if that is his intention.   I might not want to be within a couple of hundred meters from where he creates his smoking hole though.......!  Other than wrong place, wrong time, I would not be worried about an ISIS Mig 21 if I was over there.   I am sure our F-18, F-22, and F-15 pilots are salivating at the thought of an ISIS Mig-21 coming anywhere near them....!   Chris

One less Mig 21:  http://www.liveleak....=0e6_1411469705

1A - 2A = -1A

#5 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:11 PM

Are we really talking about TWO planes here???  And do they actually have any weapons because I do not see any in the pics.  Are they going to throw rocks out the windows in a dogfight?  Sorry, but manning a fighter jet is not the same as driving a car.  Its one thing to have fighter jets in your arsenal but another to have a capable pilot and gound crew who could match anything a developed country with a real airforce can deliver.

This is laughable...

#6 Tyto Alba

Tyto Alba

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:26 PM

Are we really talking about TWO planes here???  And do they actually have any weapons because I do not see any in the pics.  Are they going to throw rocks out the windows in a dogfight?  Sorry, but manning a fighter jet is not the same as driving a car.  Its one thing to have fighter jets in your arsenal but another to have a capable pilot and gound crew who could match anything a developed country with a real airforce can deliver.

This is laughable...

ISIS now has 2 Billion dollars and an estimated 30,000 troops.    Getting spares and finding the personnel to maintain and fly the world's most successful Cold War aircraft (Mig -21)should not be a problem.  

#7 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:19 AM

Yes and their runway appears to be a curved road in the middle of the desert with a crew of five guys standing around in jumpsuits with their hands in their pockets not really sure what to do with the thing..  Those planes are antiques compared to what the US military is using.   I'm sure the US air force/Navy is really hoping ISIS actually puts one of these birds in the air.  Sorry, but there is no story here...

#8 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:11 AM

I find it hard to believe those neanderthal goat boinkers can figure out how to fly one of those planes without instantly crashing it, hopefully into their own camp.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#9 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:30 AM

Ever see those guys in combat....?   No fire discipline, no trigger discipline, expose themselves from cover multiple times and at predictable intervals......   Some of them wear bright clothing, yellow, white, red, etc. into battle.   "Spray and Pray" seems to be the combat tactic that is mostly preferred.   Not to say it is easy and without risk fighting these fools but the kill ratio between our brave Army and Marines and them is very high.  I have read that the kill ratio between the USMC and these idiots was 120:1 back in the day in Fallujah.  Chris  

Oh, and this just happened......

http://www.dailymail...t-airforce.html

And if you want to study these Isis fools try this link and go to the "Syria" tab or type in "ISIS", "ISIL", "IS", and don't forget "Peshmerga" for a real treat....!

http://www.liveleak.com/c/syria

1A - 2A = -1A

#10 Tyto Alba

Tyto Alba

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:10 AM

When NATO final commits to ground troops we are going to to lose American troops on a Middle East situation that could have been avoided.       My point is ISIS  has dated but good equipment that can do damage given the opportunity.    

I try to avoid political issues on this forum.......lesson learned......my bad.

You guys sound like Obama before ISIS conquered the vast area in Syria and Iraq.     

#11 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:20 PM

When NATO final commits to ground troops we are going to to lose American troops on a Middle East situation that could have been avoided.       My point is ISIS  has dated but good equipment that can do damage given the opportunity.    

I try to avoid political issues on this forum.......lesson learned......my bad.

You guys sound like Obama before ISIS conquered the vast area in Syria and Iraq.     

Sorry, we are not for NATO committing any ground troops other than spec ops, observers, and forward air controllers (which are already there) mixed in with the local good guys.   Your point on ISIS is agreed upon and stated by us also, they can do damage there but are a somewhat unorganized bunch.  We hurt them by air strikes, killing their money supply, killing their resupply, arming their enemies (Peshmerga, Kurds, shee-ite militias) and stemming the influx of new recruits.  All hard to do but possible on some levels which will keep them in check.  Did you also notice the price of oil is down from over 100 dollars a barrel to around $80 or so....?   This hurts ISIS, the Saudi's and all their Wahhabi friends, Iran, and Russia in so many ways....!  So cool....!   And go out here, real close and local, and kick the tires on this Mig 21 and tell me what you think after you see the real deal.  Chris

http://www.aerospace...ig-21f-fishbed/

Oh, and please don't compare me to Obummer in any way...!    Sadly, it turns out I know a lot more about history, weapons, tactics, economics, and real life in general than our "community organizer" and so called "constitutional law professor" does, which is very unfortunate for us....!   And another thing I do is take advice and listen to the opinions of people who know more than I do and have more experience in areas that I do not....!   I wish Obummer did this also (listen to his Generals)....    And I am glad Hitler did not listen to his......       

1A - 2A = -1A

#12 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:21 AM

Nothing political here, just the way I see it.  Pretty white/black IMO.

Yes ISIS has equipment that can do damage on UNARMED civilians, which is basically what they have been doing.  But put them up against a developed army and they don't stand a chance.

#13 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:07 PM

In the end, not worried about a MIG-21...........      Worried about another thing which I won't mention here as to not give the Jihadi turds an idea...........    Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#14 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:37 AM

I find it hard to believe those neanderthal goat boinkers can figure out how to fly one of those planes without instantly crashing it, hopefully into their own camp.

wow. Talk about not ok

#15 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:51 AM

I think the point Tyto is making is that 2 elements in any war are useful and can cause major damage.

1) Underestimating the creativity of your enemy

2)Not preparing for the unexpected.

So, when I was in Iraq I drove through the desert and saw an abandoned air field with at least 30 jets from Sadaams old Air Force. Remember those guys? They were grounded the day the US came over the Kuwait border and were cowed rather than beaten. They fled and the planes were left to rot. The planes are still there. Did the US take imjportant stuff out of them to keep them from flying? I'm sure they did. The stuff is old technology. Not that hard to reassemble with money, time and intent. Especially when the US isnt there to babysit the air field anymore.

Ok so how does #1 or 2 fall in line with this?

1) Could an unknown crew of engineers walk into the airfiled, canibalize what they need, buy other stuff from a market 'not shy' to sell to them - and field the air crews with a professional group of people who have had American training -and- have since then become less than enamored with American politics? Well, I think it wouldnt be that difficult.

2) Could old airplanes shoot down American pilots of the Air Force? Pffft, a bullet is a bullet. And flying is flying--either skilled or not. So, could someone drop in on an airbase outside the US and take out an entire satelite of planes while they are grounded or even attempting to rise (like pearl harbor?) Why would anyone ever say that horrible phrase: never again? Could you get more cocky?

Possible meets probable when motivation, money, and training triangulate.

And that has nothing whatsoever to do with what you think they do to their goats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users