35 replies to this topic

#1 SunshineServices

SunshineServices

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:20 AM

So my wife with the biggest-ever heart agreed to watch one of her high-school friends dog as he made the transition to single life and moved to Hawaii. Tough I know. I'm sure you can guess the rest. The dog has been here for several months now, and repeated promises of 'soon soon' keep coming. So I am looking for a good home for Mickey, who is a long-hair Australian Shepherd, wonderful disposition, good with kids, and smarter than most. If any of you are interested, or know anyone else who is, please let me know.

thanks

Jeff
When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace.

Jimi Hendrix

#2 irish1

irish1

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:31 PM

So my wife with the biggest-ever heart agreed to watch one of her high-school friends dog as he made the transition to single life and moved to Hawaii. Tough I know. I'm sure you can guess the rest. The dog has been here for several months now, and repeated promises of 'soon soon' keep coming. So I am looking for a good home for Mickey, who is a long-hair Australian Shepherd, wonderful disposition, good with kids, and smarter than most. If any of you are interested, or know anyone else who is, please let me know.

thanks

Jeff

Jeff, You could get Ol' Mickey a set of shades, a cool neck scarf, and a ticket to Hawaii..!! Call the grieving one, (tongue in cheek), and let him know 'Mickey's' enroute..,' along with the bill for airfare.

I have handled many dispute calls very similar to this scenario in the past. A pet (car, jet ski, boxed items, tires and rims etc. etc.) left and abandoned to a friends care through a verbal agreement - while they made their transitions etc.- and not one of them turned out positive for the friend doing the favor (of course, I never got called to the happy ending scenario's). The friend was left holding the bag, so to speak, for extended periods of time which were longer than agreed to, and the friend finally gave up and found a home (or storage) for the items, getting them out of their life.

Then, and of course, only then... did the owner show up for the item to find it gone - and all hell breaks loose - and eventually, the courts get involved.

To save yourself the headache and frustration, maybe get the 'friend' to send you written permission to find 'Mickey' a home, before you actually do...? Just a thought...

Good Luck...

#3 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

To save yourself the headache and frustration, maybe get the 'friend' to send you written permission to find 'Mickey' a home, before you actually do...? Just a thought...

Good Luck...

That's what I was thinking -- just to alleviate the possibility of legal action. Good luck!
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#4 SunshineServices

SunshineServices

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:36 PM

Oh I plan to get his permission, just gauging interest first. And maybe it will push him into action, but I doubt it.

thanks for the info

jeff

Jimi Hendrix

#5 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:42 PM

Oh I plan to get his permission, just gauging interest first. And maybe it will push him into action, but I doubt it.

thanks for the info

jeff

Tell him you have a couple people interested in taking the dog, now it's his turn to decide immediately what to do. At this point point you'll know whether to proceed with finding a new owner or not. Good luck!

#6 SunshineServices

SunshineServices

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:11 PM

Tell him you have a couple people interested in taking the dog, now it's his turn to decide immediately what to do. At this point point you'll know whether to proceed with finding a new owner or not. Good luck!

Yea, I was wavering on the timing of the contact, but I did it, so let's see what the response is.

jeff

Jimi Hendrix

#7 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:45 PM

Aussies are terrific dogs, I wish I could fit one into my life. But I could never keep it entertained enough that it wouldn't go stir crazy.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#8 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

The NorCal Australian Shepard Rescue (or any other local rescue group) might be able to help you. Even if they don't have room for him in their fostering program, they could probably provide a lot of help in how to screen potential new owners. A high energy herding dog is certainly not for everyone.

http://norcalaussierescue.com/

#9 squirrelly

squirrelly

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:25 PM

Jeff -- I may be able to take Mickey. I have an Aussie already (Sophie, she's 4) and she could use a playmate. Would you be able to bring Mickey over for a 'trial run'? You've actually been to the house before, you guys did a punch list of work for me earlier a while back, Sophie may have "helped" you with your work... =) Let me know if the trial run thing is an option.

Edited by squirrelly, 27 October 2010 - 10:26 PM.

#10 fromhnl

fromhnl

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:14 AM

[quote name='SunshineServices' timestamp='1288189249' post='400918']
he made the transition to single life and moved to Hawaii.

Very sad story. Mickey looks sad too in the picture...The guy never really planned
on bringing the dog. Hawai`i laws require pets to be quarantined for a minimum of
4 months, special exclusions can get it down to 2 months but still all animals are
quarantined in a special housing location. Families can visit their animals as they
all transition to their new homes. Mickey could have been living in quarantine
with daily visits with "dad." But I doubt that was in his big scheme of it all.
I'd check with the EX and see if she was the one who truly loved the dog but didn't
get "custody." I do hope you find a loving home for a beautiful dog who's gotta
be wondering what the heck happened and where did everyone go... LOL

#11 SunshineServices

SunshineServices

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:43 AM

SO, I wrote:

Hey Jeff, don't mean to put you on the spot, but I have 2 friends who have expressed interest in acquiring Mickey. Just wanted to check with you on the possibility of doing that.

thanks

Jeff

His name is Jeff too. His response:

still plan on shipping him over.just started working last week but if I can't find a place ill keep it in mind.my oldest is fliing back Sunday to the main land and asked if she could visit.

Thanks
Jeff

OMG!

Jimi Hendrix

#12 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:10 AM

SO, I wrote:

Hey Jeff, don't mean to put you on the spot, but I have 2 friends who have expressed interest in acquiring Mickey. Just wanted to check with you on the possibility of doing that.

thanks

Jeff

His name is Jeff too. His response:

still plan on shipping him over.just started working last week but if I can't find a place ill keep it in mind.my oldest is fliing back Sunday to the main land and asked if she could visit.

Thanks
Jeff

OMG!

Is that like "visit" to see the dog, or "visit", can she stay at your house while on the mainland?
I would rather be Backpacking

#13 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:19 AM

Start charging for weekly kennel services. He's stringing you along. Send him a note that it's going to cost $100 a week to continue kennel care and inform him about the 4 month quarantine to get the dog there. I seriously doubt he's going to really take the dog...

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#14 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:38 AM

I'd give him a deadline - if he can't figure something by Nov 15 or whatever...

#15 SunshineServices

SunshineServices

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:55 AM

John & Dave & everyone else, all good points. The sticking point is that it is my wife's friend, she is doing him the favor, and she doesn't really want me in the middle. I can understand that, but only to a point. She is also tired of the waiting, but refuses to say anything. Now she wants me to copy her on all of our conversations............... sigh

Jimi Hendrix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users