#16 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:33 AM

Sorry about your rotten situation.

Oftentimes, in the eyes of the law, the one who is taking care of an animal is the one who owns the animal, regardless of who paid for the dog initially. If you have your name on any vet records, and have records of buying food, toys, etc., that will help you if a nasty case of 'you gave away my dog!' happens.

And FYI - Hawaii now has a '5 day or less' quarantine that the dog may be eligible for. But that will take even more work on your part, because of the list of things that need to be done pre-flight. So you might leverage that if he doesn't get his act together soon, you might not be able to help out with the pre-flight checklist, and the dog will end up with a 120 day quarantine instead.

http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/info

#17 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 28 October 2010 - 11:49 AM

John & Dave & everyone else, all good points. The sticking point is that it is my wife's friend, she is doing him the favor, and she doesn't really want me in the middle. I can understand that, but only to a point. She is also tired of the waiting, but refuses to say anything. Now she wants me to copy her on all of our conversations............... sigh

How long have you had this guy's dog? A few weeks I could understand, a few months is taking advantage of you.

#18 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:28 PM

John & Dave & everyone else, all good points. The sticking point is that it is my wife's friend, she is doing him the favor, and she doesn't really want me in the middle. I can understand that, but only to a point. She is also tired of the waiting, but refuses to say anything. Now she wants me to copy her on all of our conversations............... sigh

Major bummer, wife offers to help her friend, doesn't exercise the kahoonas to prevent being taken advantage of. I feel for you. If my wife did that to me (she wouldn't because she is less tolerant than I am of being taken advantage of), I would dump the problem right back into her lap. Instead of copying her on all correspondence, tell her you won't correspond anymore, the ball is all in her court to resolve. If she doesn't want you in the middle, get out of the middle. I also wouldn't walk or feed the beast, let it all be her responsibility.

That's how I would handle it anyway, I presume you know what is best for maintaining marital bliss in your family. Good Luck.

BTW, what happens if the dog escapes? How far would you be expected to go to try and find the lost beast ;)
I would rather be Backpacking

#19 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:24 PM

you're screwed either way, Jeff. That's what you get for being a nice guy! :gah:

#20 fromhnl

fromhnl

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:47 PM

[quote name='SunshineServices' timestamp='1288288538' post='401031']

Hi Nicole! I don't understand why he didn't ship his dog over for quarantine and get a start on the 4 month hold when he left the mainland. Less than 4 months quarantine is for working dogs and pets that have diagnosed "mental" problems. LOL But this is not a case that would get the exemption. Why doesn't he pay to have his dog shipped now cause all quarantines are done on O`ahu unless it qualifies for the mental health exemption, regardless of the island your friend is living. Why didn't he take the dog with him and get him started on his mandatory quarantine requirement while dude finds a job, place to live, etc! At least the dog is on O`ahu doing its quarantine in the meantime. At least he could visit Mickey. This guy has to know about the mandatory quarantine but probably is hoping you don't. End result, the dog gets shipped now and starts his 4 month quarantine and now dude is responsible for his property and your obligation is over. What island is your friend on? Did he ship over his car and his personal property and left the dog? For how long? If it was a case of no where to put the dog due to housing
etc that would understandable but there is only one place this dog goes the minute it lands in HI and stays for 4 months. Used to be 6 months...Even if the guy says ok now ship Mickey...Mickey still goes straight to quarantine.

#21 fromhnl

fromhnl

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:01 PM

[quote name='SunshineServices' timestamp='1288277028' post='401012']

His response: still plan on shipping him over. Why didn't he ship him over when he flew to Hawai`i?

just started working last week but if I can't find a place ill keep it in mind. Mickey has a place waiting for him already...regardless

my oldest is fliing back Sunday to the main land and asked if she could visit.
Ok, now ya'll gotta smell the b.s. too Nicole. Mickey has a place to live, courtesy of the State of Hawai`i. His dad might not have anything going but Mickey has an obligation to fulfill the minute he arrives on O`ahu whether Dad has a place or not.

#22 squirrelly

squirrelly

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:49 PM

Still willing to take Mickey here in Folsom as long as we can do a trial run... =)

#23 SunshineServices

SunshineServices

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:51 PM

Still willing to take Mickey here in Folsom as long as we can do a trial run... =)

I will keep you in mind as things progress, or don't!

Thanks

jeff
When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace.

Jimi Hendrix

#24 2_2COOL

2_2COOL

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Harley's , Doberman's, parrots, reef keeping, home decor & remodeling.

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:04 AM

What a bummer. Being an animal lover all I can think of is poor Mickey. Dumped by his family (he has no clue or control over where they are & what's going on & is now in the middle of a battle over him being left behind).
I know you ARE doing a super nice thing by keeping him & screening potential owners, but poor Mickey also feels the tension in everyone and (IMO) knows it relates in some way to him.

I totally see your side & I think your wife should step up. She CAN do it diplomatically without hurting a friend, but still let them know the situation is burdening your family emotionally & financially (I assume the owner isn't paying for his food, flea & heartworm meds, shots,licensing,vet check-ups, etc. while you have him?)and the friend/owner needs to get off the pot & make a proactive decision.

VERY sucky situation for Mickey!
I hope it resolves soon. And , you don't take a negative approach to him like not petting or feeding the poor guy just because he is stuck in the middle (much like yourself). :wacko:

#25 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:21 PM

And , you don't take a negative approach to him like not petting or feeding the poor guy just because he is stuck in the middle (much like yourself). :wacko:

Jeff and Nicole are two of the nicest people out there. That would never happen.

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#26 Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:46 PM

According to my sources (me asking while I was in Hawaii and knowing people who moved there) don't send them there. They quarantine your pet for 90 days because of rabies being non-existent and if they even think it has something wrong with it (rabies, illness, etc) they have the right to destroy the dog. I have heard their animal control is right strict.

#27 Fowler

Fowler

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:10 PM

There is a 5-day-or-less plan for shipping pets to Hawaii also. It is much more involved as you can see below, but if he wants his dog and doesn't wanto to pay for boarding during quarantine than the following rules should be followed. Sounds like he needs to release the dog to you so you can find a good home.

1) Your pet must have been vaccinated at least twice for rabies in its lifetime, and they must have been administered more than 30 days apart from one another. The most recent one must be done at least 90 days before the pet’s arrival to Hawaii but no later than the expiration date of the vaccine.

2) Your pet must be “micro-chipped” prior to arrival… if the chip cannot be read, your pet will have to undergo the 120-day quarantine.

3) Your veterinarian must draw blood samples and forward them to an approved lab for an OIE-FAVN Rabies Blood Test. After these results are received, (results are valid for three years) 120 days must pass before your animal arrives in Hawaii. Arriving before the full 120 days has elapsed will result in disqualification from the 5 day or less program!

4) A veterinarian must treat your pet for ticks and pests with an approved product such as Fipronil and record it on your pet’s health certificate. (Within 14 days prior to arrival) If there is any evidence of infestation upon inspection at the station, your pet can be quarantined despite meeting all the other criteria.

5) All documents need to be mailed to the Animal Quarantine Station at least ten days in advance of your pet’s arrival and they must be originals. No fax or photocopies will be accepted. (Do keep copies for your records)

#28 Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:08 AM

There is a 5-day-or-less plan for shipping pets to Hawaii also. It is much more involved as you can see below, but if he wants his dog and doesn't wanto to pay for boarding during quarantine than the following rules should be followed. Sounds like he needs to release the dog to you so you can find a good home.

1) Your pet must have been vaccinated at least twice for rabies in its lifetime, and they must have been administered more than 30 days apart from one another. The most recent one must be done at least 90 days before the pet's arrival to Hawaii but no later than the expiration date of the vaccine.

2) Your pet must be "micro-chipped" prior to arrival… if the chip cannot be read, your pet will have to undergo the 120-day quarantine.

3) Your veterinarian must draw blood samples and forward them to an approved lab for an OIE-FAVN Rabies Blood Test. After these results are received, (results are valid for three years) 120 days must pass before your animal arrives in Hawaii. Arriving before the full 120 days has elapsed will result in disqualification from the 5 day or less program!

4) A veterinarian must treat your pet for ticks and pests with an approved product such as Fipronil and record it on your pet's health certificate. (Within 14 days prior to arrival) If there is any evidence of infestation upon inspection at the station, your pet can be quarantined despite meeting all the other criteria.

5) All documents need to be mailed to the Animal Quarantine Station at least ten days in advance of your pet's arrival and they must be originals. No fax or photocopies will be accepted. (Do keep copies for your records)

Thank you Fowler, good to know about that!

#29 SunshineServices

SunshineServices

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:21 PM

Finally have a date from the owner, if he hasn't had Mickey shipped to him by the end of the year, he is staying here.

ME:
What are the chances we can get this done by the end of the year?

OWNER:
good.if i cant get him by then you can give him to your buddy

This all started in August.

Stay tuned squirrelly if you're still interested by then.

Thanks!
When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace.

Jimi Hendrix

#30 squirrelly

squirrelly

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:11 PM

[quote name='SunshineServices' timestamp='1289359262' post='402308']
Great! thanks for the update! =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users