65 replies to this topic

#31 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:00 AM

Baby will supposedly pop next week biggrin.gif . So far there is no signs of anything drastic, just more braxton hicks contractions. She's getting more of these as the days go by.

#32 (Gaelic925)

(Gaelic925)
  • Visitors

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:08 AM

If your water breaks the baby needs to be out within 24 hours or you risk infection. This happened with my son and my contractions never got to the 511 stage. They had to induce me and he was finally delivered 21 hours after my water broke.

#33 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:57 AM

QUOTE(Gaelic925 @ Jul 25 2005, 07:08 AM)
If your water breaks the baby needs to be out within 24 hours or you risk infection. This happened with my son and my contractions never got to the 511 stage. They had to induce me and he was finally delivered 21 hours after my water broke.

View Post

Same here, only my son was delivered 23 hours after my water broke.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#34 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:49 AM

The next issue which irritate me a little is the Childbirth Class which we took through our care provider - Kaiser.

Why does the class try to promote the total intimate involvement of the husband/partner and try to make an expert out of these people overnight, in the labor/delivery of the child? Which lead to frictions/arguments between the pregnant wife and the husband. I made me panic because of the expectation I perceived from my wife.

#35 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE(cybertrano @ Jul 25 2005, 08:49 AM)
The next issue which irritate me a little is the Childbirth Class which we took through our care provider - Kaiser.

Why does the class try to promote the total intimate involvement of the husband/partner and try to make an expert out of these people overnight, in the labor/delivery of the child?  Which lead to frictions/arguments between the pregnant wife and the husband.  I made me panic because of the expectation I perceived from my wife.

View Post

What are your wife's expectations?

Parents don't become experts in this overnight or at all, but knowing what to expect helps things go smoother. Your medical team will be there to support you, give advice as to what might help, remind you what you can do, etc. Even if you feel like an expert going in, the experience is nervewracking and you could easily forget what to do. What your wife now thinks might comfort her could be the very thing that drives her crazy when she's in labor. Flexibility is the key. Go with the flow. Don't panic. Count on your medical team.

Be empathetic to your wife; she's understandably getting more nervous, more anxious. Reassure her that everything will be just fine, which it will. You will do just fine, too.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#36 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:30 AM

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Thanx.

I agree that she's more nervous than I am, but then two nervous people is worse than one. biggrin.gif

One example - about a month ago, she went through a braxton Hicks and I forgot what I learned in the class so I did not know. She told me - my gosh you don't know that! biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Resume Lady @ Jul 25 2005, 08:17 AM)
What are your wife's expectations?

Parents don't become experts in this overnight or at all, but knowing what to expect helps things go smoother. Your medical team will be there to support you, give advice as to what might help, remind you what you can do, etc. Even if you feel like an expert going in, the experience is nervewracking and you could easily forget what to do. What your wife now thinks might comfort her could be the very thing that drives her crazy when she's in labor. Flexibility is the key. Go with the flow. Don't panic. Count on your medical team.

Be empathetic to your wife; she's understandably getting more nervous, more anxious. Reassure her that everything will be just fine, which it will. You will do just fine, too.

View Post

#37 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:34 AM

And anyway, we came up with a solution - mother-in-law will come with us on the day of delivery. She had lots of experience with 5 kiddies of her own. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif thumbsupsmileyanim.gif thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

#38 Mommy2Sydni

Mommy2Sydni

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE(cybertrano @ Jul 25 2005, 07:49 AM)

Why does the class try to promote the total intimate involvement of the husband/partner and try to make an expert out of these people overnight, in the labor/delivery of the child?  Which lead to frictions/arguments between the pregnant wife and the husband.  I made me panic because of the expectation I perceived from my wife.

View Post

I don't know about your wife...but when we were "in the thick of it" I wanted NOTHING to do with my husband smile.gif
I was in so much pain and it felt like every time he would touch me it made the pain worse beaker.gif
Us prego women are STRANGE!!!!
Just don't take it personally thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

#39 Gina99

Gina99

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:23 PM

I think your wife's expectation of you being involved may be a bit much. I had Braxton-Hicks for weeks before I told my husband I was having them wink.gif

My husband brought all of the notes from class to the delivery room but basically he just kept telling me to breath. The nurses take over. Is she going for the drugs? If not, the pain may be so unbearable that you telling her to breath is not going to do much good. I think it justs gives husbands something to do.

#40 Cloud9

Cloud9

Hopeless Addict

• Member*
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:45 PM

That's right, just pull the curtain to the side and watch the game... She'll be so drugged up she won't remember.... tongue.gif
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

http://folsomforum.com/

IPB Image

#41 Gina99

Gina99

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:54 PM

Ha! Is that your plan? Wait-I can see you with a laptop, posting in a heated discussion on the Myforum website in the delivery room wink.gif

#42 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 25 July 2005 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE(Mommy2Sydni @ Jul 25 2005, 02:08 PM)
I don't know about your wife...but when we were "in the thick of it" I wanted NOTHING to do with my husband smile.gif
I was in so much pain and it felt like every time he would touch me it made the pain worse beaker.gif
Us prego women are STRANGE!!!!
Just don't take it personally thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

View Post

They had me play cather w/ my boy a couple of weeks ago. It went something like this:

Doc: Place your hands here.

Me: I don't think so.

Doc: Place your hands here.

Me (after cathing my boy): You want me to do what?

Doc: Put your hands here to cathc him.

Me: Wow! A boy. Now would someone take him? This is some gross stuff.

Well, at least I was thinking that last part, although it was very exciting
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#43 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:01 AM

At this stage of 38 weeks, the baby is so big and mature, I am surprise that babies don't do more damages such as pulling on the string or something like that. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#44 Cloud9

Cloud9

Hopeless Addict

• Member*
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE(Gina99 @ Jul 25 2005, 03:54 PM)
Ha! Is that your plan? Wait-I can see you with a laptop, posting in a heated discussion on the Myforum website in the delivery room wink.gif

View Post

How'd you guess? smile.gif

Cyber, when they go to hand you the baby just go grab the baby with both hands by the knees. All your baby responsibilities will be promptly taken away... tongue.gif
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

http://folsomforum.com/

IPB Image

#45 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 09:49 AM

thanx for the great idea cloud.

i used the same tactic with my cooking responsibility at home. it worked. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif thumbsupsmileyanim.gif thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

she asked - when will you cook for me?

my replies - i don't know how to cook.

(use it often!!!!!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users