• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:33 PM

Just received the following notice from Nextdoor:

"Our neighbor on Penrod told us burglars tried to break into her house via side garage door at 2am this morning. The outside lights on each side of the garage were burned out. The cops said that was what enticed them to choose our house. Make sure all your porch lights are on front and back. The police recommend u call 911 immediately if u suspect anything. Don't wait. Awesome Folsom police were there within 3 minutes and saw burglars take off running. Did not catch them despite search."

Also, last week, got another notice:

"My 04 Tahoe dark grey was stolen (this was listed in Broadstone but no street given)
Out of the Driveway this morning between 7-9 am. License plate starts 5FED. Please call local police if you see it. Moondoggies sticker on driver side back window and SF sticker on the back windo
w. Update: It was found abandoned in South Sac. It's been pretty beat up on the inside but other than that it's still runs great. A bit of fun news....the thief left behind a journal of sorts with his full name and address. It's been turned over to police."

#2 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:56 PM

Interesting because I have been told that keeping outside light on 24/7 aids criminals because they light up the areas for casing and entry; that one really should have motion sensor because neighbors and others would then take notice of activity in the area.

#3 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

I never leave any outside lights on. But I have several dogs, they are the best alarm system in the world!

Svzr2FS.jpg

#4 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

Penrod is real close to my house. Any other details on this?

#5 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

we had a neighborhood house broken into around noon on a weekday by crooks who watched the homeowner take their dog out for walk and then come in while they were gone.  A landscaper who works on various houses here had tools stolen out of his truck while he was just feet away working in a yard!  Sadly, the thieves are watching closely.  For what its worth, I agree that motion detectors are the best deterrent next to a barking dog.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#6 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

Love my 80-pound dog and how loud her bark is when it echoes off the hard wood in the foyer!

#7 kfergo

kfergo

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

we had a neighborhood house broken into around noon on a weekday by crooks who watched the homeowner take their dog out for walk and then come in while they were gone.  A landscaper who works on various houses here had tools stolen out of his truck while he was just feet away working in a yard!  Sadly, the thieves are watching closely.  For what its worth, I agree that motion detectors are the best deterrent next to a barking dog.

That combined with good outdoor cameras so you also get a picture of the _____.  (Insert whatever word you deem appropriate)

#8 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

Just had a really nice super bright LED security light installed on the side of my house by Sconce Electric.(http://www.sconceelectric.com/)  They provided the light and I think it was only ~$125-150 including install.  Money well spent IMO.

#9 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

I'm guessing everyone has really cool neighbors that don't mind these spot lights brightening up their bedrooms all night long when a cat or skunk wanders past at 3am?

My neighbor has one and they are simply an annoyance and provide no security at all. 

#10 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

Just had a really nice super bright LED security light installed on the side of my house by Sconce Electric.(http://www.sconceelectric.com/)  They provided the light and I think it was only ~$125-150 including install.  Money well spent IMO.

Greg Scone is the DUDE. Ralph is, too.

#11 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

No problem here.  Sounds like your neighbor needs to adjust the sensor or needs a new light.  Unless you have a critter problem where you live they shouldn't be coming on that often.  Mine allows you to adjust the sensitivity (distance) of the sensor.  I have it set to only go off if something moves in the vicinity of my side gate.  It also shines down, not at my neighbors house which a good 40ft away.

I would suggest you go talk to your neighbor to resolve your issue...

#12 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

To avoid annoying your neighbors and for maximum security effectiveness, your outdoor lighting should be Dark Sky Compliant: http://www.darksky.o...doorlighting-29

This ensures that all the light shines towards the ground, and doesn't bother your neighbors: http://www.darksky.org/assets/documents/PG3-residential-lighting.pdf 

"Using shielded fixtures is beneficial in two ways. First, glare is  decreased or eliminated. Uncomfortable or temporarily blinding, a glaring light can distract the eye and cast harsh shadows that create easy concealment opportunities for a trespasser. "

In fact, with a non-Dark Sky compliant feature, the best place for a perp to hide without being seen is directly under the light.  

--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

#13 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:53 PM

Penrod is real close to my house. Any other details on this?

I haven't seen anything else come through on Nextdoor. You should sign up. I only receive crime alerts via email.

I have a motion detector light on my front courtyard. It does pick up the slightest movement, but my neighbors assure me the light doesn't bother them (there are mature trees & a high fence between our yards). They are at a higher elevation than I. Every now & then, I accidentally leave on one of the outside lights....oh well, guess that keeps outsiders guessing.

Also, I just got video cams with great night vision. They face all possible points of entry, except via the back fence which would mean someone would have to climb over the fence from a neighbors yard. They match the color of the house, but are noticeable. It looks like someone actually tried to take one out....the roof tile just above it is now broken. I need to check the recording. And of course, I have the security system signage.

#14 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

To avoid annoying your neighbors and for maximum security effectiveness, your outdoor lighting should be Dark Sky Compliant: http://www.darksky.o...doorlighting-29

This ensures that all the light shines towards the ground, and doesn't bother your neighbors: http://www.darksky.org/assets/documents/PG3-residential-lighting.pdf 

"Using shielded fixtures is beneficial in two ways. First, glare is  decreased or eliminated. Uncomfortable or temporarily blinding, a glaring light can distract the eye and cast harsh shadows that create easy concealment opportunities for a trespasser. "

In fact, with a non-Dark Sky compliant feature, the best place for a perp to hide without being seen is directly under the light.  

I looked all over the website, but couldn't find the recommended lights. You 2nd link doesn't work. With my set up, my camera picks up whatever is happening, even in the dark areas.

Hmmm...just watching the cameras. I'm right next to a streetlight, but I think I will look into those lights as I'd like to add them to the opposite side of the house.

#15 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:52 AM

I haven't seen anything else come through on Nextdoor. You should sign up. I only receive crime alerts via email.

I have a motion detector light on my front courtyard. It does pick up the slightest movement, but my neighbors assure me the light doesn't bother them (there are mature trees & a high fence between our yards). They are at a higher elevation than I. Every now & then, I accidentally leave on one of the outside lights....oh well, guess that keeps outsiders guessing.

Also, I just got video cams with great night vision. They face all possible points of entry, except via the back fence which would mean someone would have to climb over the fence from a neighbors yard. They match the color of the house, but are noticeable. It looks like someone actually tried to take one out....the roof tile just above it is now broken. I need to check the recording. And of course, I have the security system signage.

I hope the camera is just dislocated or fell off for some reason. I would hate to think someone made the effort to take your surveillance system out. I have been thinking of getting the night vision camera to use as a critter cam.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users