Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:37 AM

Back to healthcare

Open enrollment is upon us:

our HSA plan decreased benefits and went up 80% in monthly rate (thank you Obama)
most of our other plans went up 20% (thank you Obama)
Historically over the last 4 years, typical rate hikes were 12-15%, it sure is nice to see how well Obama's assurance of decreasing healthcare costs is working. I don't know if the final version that he signed still had the increase in percentages that businesses will have to cover, but as an employee at a small business that gets to see how the company is doing financially every month, I can guarantee that an increase in the percentage of healthcare costs that the business will have to cover will translate directly to a reduction in the amount of money left over each year to pay bonuses. (thank you Obama)

I would rather be Backpacking

#182 rpo

rpo

Hall Of Famer

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Apr 6 2010, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Back to healthcare

our HSA plan decreased benefits and went up 80% in monthly rate (thank you Obama)
Historically over the last 4 years, typical rate hikes were 12-15%, it sure is nice to see how well Obama's assurance of decreasing healthcare costs is working. I don't know if the final version that he signed still had the increase in percentages that businesses will have to cover, but as an employee at a small business that gets to see how the company is doing financially every month, I can guarantee that an increase in the percentage of healthcare costs that the business will have to cover will translate directly to a reduction in the amount of money left over each year to pay bonuses. (thank you Obama)

How did Obama cause your rates to just go up 80%? Health insurance companies cannot arbitrarily raise rates. They have to go through a lengthy process to prove to the gov't that the costs are justified. In other words, your rate hike today was decided upon WAY before Obama signed any health care bill.

#183 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Apr 6 2010, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Back to healthcare

It is more likely that your small company has chosen to move some of their costs to you and has nothing to do with Obama. This is becoming very common as companies are trimming their costs to maintain their profits.
BEFORE Obama, my "group' plan for small business owners increased my payment by 26% in one year and reduced my Rx benefits as well. And I still have a $40 copay.

At least you get bonuses=

Cheers
F500

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#184 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (folsom500 @ Apr 6 2010, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is more likely that your small company has chosen to move some of their costs to you and has nothing to do with Obama. This is becoming very common as companies are trimming their costs to maintain their profits.
BEFORE Obama, my "group' plan for small business owners increased my payment by 26% in one year and reduced my Rx benefits as well. And I still have a $40 copay.

At least you get bonuses=

Cheers
F500

NO, as HR Manager (I wear multiple hats), our business is not choosing to pass some additional costs on to our employees. We stick with our policy of we pay 1/2 of whatever the cost is (legally for group coverage rates we only have to pay 1/2 of the cheapest employee only plan policy that we offer). the 80% increase is straight from Blue Shield.
If you want to believe that the bean counters that justify their rates aren't factoring in their expectations of what Obamacare is going to do to their bottom line, there ain't nothing I can do to convince you otherwise.

We only get bonuses if our company is profitable enough that the company needs to lower it's tax bill by giving away the profits to the employees. We would rather give the money to the employees than to Uncle Sam, yeah Uncle Sam & Aunt Arnie still steal some of it from the employees, but I would guess at a lower tax rate than what the corporation would get raped for. ( I don't do the corporate taxes so I don't know what that burden is).

#185 SmartMoney

SmartMoney

All Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:47 AM

But...but...but...Where's my free healthcare??

Let the confusion begin!!!....LOL....What a (predictable) mess!!

http://www.mcclatchy...pawns-mass.html
I speak truth. Don't ignore reality, folks.

#186 Folsom Guy

Folsom Guy

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE (SmartMoney @ Apr 7 2010, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But...but...but...Where's my free healthcare??

Let the confusion begin!!!....LOL....What a (predictable) mess!!

http://www.mcclatchy...pawns-mass.html

Since when did affordable become free?

#187 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (Folsom Guy @ Apr 7 2010, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Free is about as affordable as you can get.

And it wasn't smartmoney that expects it to be free, it's the stupid Americans like the ones calling eHealthInsurance. The same kind of nummynuts that voted for Obama that have no clue about reality.

cut from the article the hyperlink went to
"They're saying, 'Where do we get the free Obama care, and how do I sign up for that?' " said Carrie McLean, a licensed agent for eHealthInsurance.com.

BTW, it's these kind of idiots that make me wonder about everyone having the right to vote. I think it would help our society a lot if voters and politicians had to pass a basic intelligence and knowledge test. Questions like: Can islands capsize if too many people stand on one side? or Is it possible for CA to fall off into the ocean when an earthquake occurs? Get it wrong, sorry, you aren't qualified to vote in an election or to run for public office. I know at least one congressman that would fail the first question, I wonder how many voters would as well.

I know I've jokenly said "Stupid People shouldn't Breed", but I'm beginning to think that maybe "Stupid people shouldn't vote".

And just for the record, I have no idea if stupid people weren't allowed to vote, if this would hurt the Dems or the Reps worse, I expect it might be equal, but I'm pretty confident that whatever percentage of voters were eliminated, the percentage would be a lot smaller for Libertarians, Independents, Green Party, & Natural Law party voters. I have this inate feeling that those who choose 3rd political parties do so because they have brains and think for themselves. They have recognized that the two main parties don't really represent their ideals and have gone searching for a political party that does.

#188 SmartMoney

SmartMoney

All Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (Folsom Guy @ Apr 7 2010, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right.

Govt control always brings the cost of stuff down. You're so smart!!
I speak truth. Don't ignore reality, folks.

#189 mando

mando

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Apr 6 2010, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the 80% increase is straight from Blue Shield.

Didn't Anthem just raise its individual rates in a big way - prior to HCR bill passing - due to low demand (yeah, counter-intuitive)?

Could health insurance cos now be hitting small groups as well?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users