Gay History May Be Taught In Public Schools....

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#31 rpo

rpo

Hall Of Famer

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:05 PM

Why do we need to learn these individuals identities? Because it gives context as to why they are important historical figures. Who they were is just as important as to the contributions they made to society.
-----------

Just to add on a bit here......

It is because of who those people are that makes their contributions important to society.

#32 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:04 PM

Who they were is just as important as to the contributions they made to society.

I have to respectfully disagree with this.

I don't care WHO discovers a cure for cancer, I'm grateful for that contribution. The world will be better off because of the cure for cancer, NOT who it was who discovers it. If the person who finds a cure for cancer is Italian or Irish or Black, that doesn't change the significance that there is a cure for cancer.

#33 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:39 AM

I disagree with your premise that sexual orientation isn't talked about already. When and were did you learn that MLK was married? Where did you learn that Mr. Loving and his wife filed a lawsuit to overturn the interracial marriage ban?

Where did you learn about George Washington's wife and Abraham Lincoln's (although there's some who believe that Lincoln was at least bisexual)? How about FDR and his wife?

Our students are already "taught" the sexual orientation of individuals in history. You and others just don't associate that learning about these married individuals amounts to learning about their sexual orientations.

I call BS! Our kids are not already taught the sexual orientation of historical figures.

I never read nor learned any of that in school. Instead I learned what MLK accomplished along with George Washington and Abe Lincoln and what they did for our great country - never once heard in school about their marriage or sexual orientation status etc.

I don't know where you're getting this stuff from because it's not true - and I also must note it's completely irrelevant to history what their sex life was like.

Why is everyone knowing about your sexual orientation so important to gay people?

#34 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:46 AM

The other reason is to teach children that just because someone is a minority (for whatever reason), that does not limit what they can accomplish.

Does teaching kids that the person was sexually gay make their societal accomplishments any more important then a non-gay persons?

#35 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:53 AM

I've a question for you, does your sexual activity equate to your sexual orientation? Can you identify as straight and not have sex? Or is the sexual activity the definition of your orientation?

Yes, it does. If I have sex with a man, that makes me gay.

If I am straight and later in life don't have sex, that still makes me straight.

So yes, sexual activity DOES define sexual orientation.

Then there are bi-sexual people who dabble in both straight and gay sex, then there are tri-sexual people... they'll "try" anything

Just to add on a bit here......

It is because of who those people are that makes their contributions important to society.

So because Ben Franklin was a perverted womanizer that's what made his contributions important to society?

I always thought it was because of his inventions and contributions to the formation of America.

I have to respectfully disagree with this.

I don't care WHO discovers a cure for cancer, I'm grateful for that contribution. The world will be better off because of the cure for cancer, NOT who it was who discovers it. If the person who finds a cure for cancer is Italian or Irish or Black, that doesn't change the significance that there is a cure for cancer.

Amen to that brotha!

#36 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:01 PM

When it comes to sexual orientation, I think that is a lesson best not taught to children, they can learn that when they are older. As children, they should learn about the things they can readily see, like a black president, a female asian astronaut, a hispanic doctor, a native american indian scientist, etc. NOT that they choose to have sex in a manner that doesn't lead to procreation. Some topics are not for children, being Gay is one of those IMO.

Totally agree, and this is a topic that should be taught by the parents, not the government (aka school).

#37 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:22 PM

So wrong to do this and force another radical "gay agenda" action item down our throats...! This is the job of the parents and not the Nanny state....! I can do this myself and have done so by exposing them to the likes of Walt Whitman and other "gays" in history..... This is my job, not Californias.....! Yet another reason to vote against the radical gay agenda every time I can....! Sexuality of historical figures should not be discussed in 3rd grade or even up to 8th grade....! I think the main problem here is that the radical gays think of themselves as "gay" and that is the number one identifier of them and their existence and they must share that fact all the time and enforce it on others. Sexuality, although very important, should be several steps down on the list of who you really are and how you interact with others in society. Be who you are but play your "sexual" cards close to your vest, the rest of us really don't care which way you swing and really don't want to know about it anyway....! Just call me old fashioned....! Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#38 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:24 AM

Yes, it does. If I have sex with a man, that makes me gay.

If I am straight and later in life don't have sex, that still makes me straight.

So yes, sexual activity DOES define sexual orientation.

Then there are bi-sexual people who dabble in both straight and gay sex, then there are tri-sexual people... they'll "try" anything

I disagree. There are men that engage in relations with other men but don't consider themselves to be either gay or bi, since they are in love with their wife/gf. Is a priest who remains celibate and has never had any sex at all considered straight if he's attracted to women but does not engage sexually with them? If a young woman is abstaining from sex until marriage but is actively dating men, does that mean she's not straight until she has sex?
"We must recognize that this short life can neither be ennobled or enriched by hatred or revenge."

RFK

#39 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:49 PM

I disagree. There are men that engage in relations with other men but don't consider themselves to be either gay or bi, since they are in love with their wife/gf. Is a priest who remains celibate and has never had any sex at all considered straight if he's attracted to women but does not engage sexually with them? If a young woman is abstaining from sex until marriage but is actively dating men, does that mean she's not straight until she has sex?

Oh come ON!!!!

Don't you think the posters on this forum are intelligent enough to figure out how you are trying to obscure this issue with semantics and double speak?

What is your major in college? Politics????

Oh sure, in very rare instances, a gay male might not be having sex with another male. But the numbers of AIDS cases doesn't indicate that to be the case.

We are not talking about THAT. And you know it!

I cringe at the thought of how you would explain all this to a seven year old. You want to talk about LOVE. But then turn around and make statements about a husband having sex with another male, breaking his wedding vows. IS THAT what you call love????

Then you try and mix race together with sex.....give me a fricking break!

Your tactics here are getting very predictable and becoming comedy.

And you are insulting all us us by thinking we are buying this crap you call logic...or LOVE.

Give it up!

#40 rpo

rpo

Hall Of Famer

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:26 PM

Then you try and mix race together with sex.....give me a fricking break!

The arguments being used against same-sex marriage are the same as were used before interracial marriage was legalized 50 years ago. In fact, at the time that became legal in all 50 states, a significantly higher percentage of the country was against it compared to todays percentages of support for same-sex marriage.

#41 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:37 PM

Oh sure, in very rare instances, a gay male might not be having sex with another male. But the numbers of AIDS cases doesn't indicate that to be the case.

O.M.G. Really?!

#42 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:58 PM

Your line of questions is RIDICULOUS :loco:

I gotta hand it to you swmr, you sure know how to twist the questions to "attempt" to get people riled up, or elicit a "desired" response. Did you learn that in your college psychology class, or perhaps in politics....no, actually, I think you learned in your LGBT change agent class. I've attended quite a few of the "change agent" classes myself. :rolleyes:

Oh come ON!!!!

Don't you think the posters on this forum are intelligent enough to figure out how you are trying to obscure this issue with semantics and double speak?

What is your major in college? Politics????

Your tactics here are getting very predictable and becoming comedy.

And you are insulting all us us by thinking we are buying this crap you call logic.

YEP, it's getting very predictable, humorous, and well... actually kind of sad, and I've only been reading the political forum for a very short time.

I have a challenge for you swmr, I challenge you to post only ONE topic in the political section per day, not 2, not 3, do you think you can do it?

#43 rpo

rpo

Hall Of Famer

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:31 PM

....no, actually, I think you learned in your LGBT change agent class. I've attended quite a few of the "change agent" classes myself.

Wow.

#44 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:54 AM

:huh: dude but I think you are confused. Your post makes no sense whatsoever, how can you possibly claim that there are men who have sex (engage in relations) with other men but don't consider themselves gay or bi? I got news for them, they're delusional or in denial because they are indeed gay and/or bi, their actions indicate that despite what they may be saying to you. Straight men do not have sex with other men, trust me on this. Bi men, will have same sex. Gay men will have same sex, straight men will not.

Yes if a priest is celibate, is attracted to women, but never has sex, that still makes him straight.

Again, I think you are confused about differentiating a persons desires versus a person acting on desires. Not having sex does not define a persons sexuality.

A woman who dates men but doesn't have sex is still straight.

It's odd how you seem to think if a person abstains from sex that defines their sexuality. But yet if someone has sex with the same sex, that doesn't define their sexuality if they only do it once in a while...

Straight people don't have sex with each other and if they don't have sex that doesn't make them gay.

#45 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:34 AM

While I actually agree with you, there is no evidence of a "gay gene" that I am aware of. Many think environment plays a role (the ol heredity v. environment debate). So while I think it is hard wired, you can't just make a blanket statement and call it good. There are also many gay people who embrace the "lifestyle."

this gay thing is push push push, rather than making sure there is no descrimination . those gay parades don't help, demanding the term marriage rather than civil union and it goes on.

I can see a demand for gay booths at school events, with slogans like "try it you might like it" I am sure glad in my day this sex stuff ended with an awkward conversation with a parent about "the birds and the bees"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users