157 replies to this topic

#1 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:30 AM

SCOTUS upholds Obamacare saying it was within the power of congress to tax. And the individual mandate is constitutional.

http://nbcpolitics.m...h-care-law?lite
"We must recognize that this short life can neither be ennobled or enriched by hatred or revenge."

RFK

#2 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

Chief Justice Robertswas the swing vote, not Justice Kennedy
"We must recognize that this short life can neither be ennobled or enriched by hatred or revenge."

RFK

#3 UncleVinny

UncleVinny

"Can't we all just get along?"

• Premium Member
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:21 AM

Interesting and surprising.

I see it as a victory for all of us, because RIGHT NOW we (the public) are paying
for THOUSANDS of uninsured people who use the very expensive Emergency Room
system as their primary medical resource.

When Romney put universal health care in place in Massachusetts
(ironic isn't it?) about two thirds the population was against it.
After it began working, about two thirds are in FAVOR of it.
I suspect the same will occur nationwide with ObamaCare.

I keep wondering, however, if those who vehemently oppose a measure that would
help mankind, such as stem cell research, should be allowed to reap the benefits
of that scientific advancement.
"In this world of trouble and strife, bring some peace to someone's life"

#4 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:26 AM

Interesting and surprising.

I see it as a victory for all of us, because RIGHT NOW we (the public) are paying
for THOUSANDS of uninsured people who use the very expensive Emergency Room
system as their primary medical resource.

When Romney put universal health care in place in Massachusetts
(ironic isn't it?) about two thirds the population was against it.
After it began working, about two thirds are in FAVOR of it.
I suspect the same will occur nationwide with ObamaCare.

Agree 100%.

Now I have the peace of mind of knowing I will be able to get health insurance (with my pre-existing condition) even if my Hubby loses his job.

Republicans should be glad that this cracks down on the freeloaders who refuse to buy health insurance and then foist the bill on tax-paying Americans when they get hit by a sudden health crisis. Isn't individual responsibility a good thing?

Thank you John Roberts!!!!! (Words I never thought I would say).

#5 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

So who is going to go through 300 Million records and findout who is insured and who is not? And those people who cannot afford a "tax"--how will that be enforced? taxing them even more? If they cant afford healthcare, more than likely they cant afford additional bills like fees for not having a bill.

This makes no sense to me. So they get a fee (tax) for not having insurance. Does that mean they are insured for the following year? What about all those people out there who do not qualify for medicaid and live check to check? How the hell is this increase in outgoing money going to help their families float?

#6 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:00 AM

It is a complicated law, and I am certainly no expert.

However, I am familiar with Mitt Romney's similar law in Massachusetts, because my sister availed herself of it during a long period of unemployment. In Massachusetts, you get a card from your insurance company which shows proof of insurance (same as we get for car insurance). You submit it with your tax return.

The IRS will collect the unpaid tax the same way they collect any other unpaid tax. They have their ways!! (Didn't Richard Hatch of Survivor-fame end up in jail for unpaid taxes?)

Hopefully everyone will be smart and buy health insurance. (Remember, there are subsidies for those who genuinely cannot afford it). However, for those who choose to freeload, the tax will create a nice little fund to pay for any hospitalizations they end up having.

My only concern is that Congress might instantly repeal some or all of the law. Then we'll be back to square one with a huge population of uninsured Americans and spiraling costs.

#7 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

More taxes, oh goody

#8 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

So now the government wants access to your medical records number?
In the name of taxation?

#9 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

It is a complicated law, and I am certainly no expert.

However, I am familiar with Mitt Romney's similar law in Massachusetts, because my sister availed herself of it during a long period of unemployment. In Massachusetts, you get a card from your insurance company which shows proof of insurance (same as we get for car insurance). You submit it with your tax return.

The IRS will collect the unpaid tax the same way they collect any other unpaid tax. They have their ways!! (Didn't Richard Hatch of Survivor-fame end up in jail for unpaid taxes?)

Hopefully everyone will be smart and buy health insurance. (Remember, there are subsidies for those who genuinely cannot afford it). However, for those who choose to freeload, the tax will create a nice little fund to pay for any hospitalizations they end up having.

My only concern is that Congress might instantly repeal some or all of the law. Then we'll be back to square one with a huge population of uninsured Americans and spiraling costs.

So now a 50 year old male who is paying about $700 per month for health insurance and makes $60,000 per year can cancel his health insuarnce and pay $600 per year and be covered. Some how that $600 per year is going to pay for all his medical expenses?

Our federal deficit is growing at about 1.5 trillion dollars per year (please correct my numbers)and NOW the FEDS are going to pick up the tab for all the uninsured and all those who see that its so much cheaper just to cancel their insurance and pay about 1/15 of the cost, in a tax to get coverage.

Where is that money going to come from?

I'm starting to wonder if the Greek Officials had a hand in developing this plan?

I do blame the REPS for not taking the initiative and developing a plan when they had the chance instead of allowing this issue to linger until the DEMs had control to institute such a DISASTER for all of us!

This just illustrates how crucial it is that we make changes with our elected officials to prevent this disaster from getting too far down the tracks.

Regarding the SCOTUS ruling, I was hoping for a different ruling, but I understand Roberts logic.

#10 UncleVinny

UncleVinny

"Can't we all just get along?"

• Premium Member
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

What about all those people out there who do not qualify for medicaid and live check to check?

Where is that money going to come from?

Not to worry: Federal agents are going to invade SuperMoms' house and all the deficits will
be made up by her.
"In this world of trouble and strife, bring some peace to someone's life"

#11 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

Not to worry: Federal agents are going to invade SuperMoms' house and all the deficits will
be made up by her.

That's pretty much how the dems do the math already for budgeting so it makes sense, rob Paul to pay Peter

#12 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

So now the government wants access to your medical records number?
In the name of taxation?

Doesn't that give you the warm fuzzies?

#13 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:43 AM

Uncle Vinny is right. It works well in Massachusetts and people love it.

It has certainly not led to the financial calamity that people predicted. In fact, I'd venture to say that Massachusetts' economy is far healthier than California's.

#14 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

It has certainly not led to the financial calamity that people predicted. In fact, I'd venture to say that Massachusetts' economy is far healthier than California's.

Massachusetts a lot smaller than California with 1/8th the population size we have. I'd also venture to guess that Massachusetts does not have even half the number of illegals in their state as we do that we will have to cover via increased taxes so we can pay for their health care in addition to ours.

I guess I will quit paying for my own insurance so I can get on the federal cheap insurance plan. Thank God I'm healthy because I'm sure the new coverage is going to suck compared to my private health care coverage but what the heck, may as well get in the govt handout line since I'm already going to be paying for it.

#15 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

The current GOV in Mass, who I believe is a DEM, is expressing concerns about the rising costs of Healthcare and how those rising costs might sink the program.

The penalty (tax) for NOT having HC in Mass is SUBSTANTIALLY higher than Obamacare.

I suspect the number of "poor" people living in Mass is a SIGNIFICANTLY lower percentage of the states' total population compared to the rest of the country.

When you factor in the above variables, I can understand how the plan in Mass appears to be working, despite the current GOV's warnings!

Just because they grow corn in Illinois doesn't mean that it will grow in the desert of Arizona. One has to look a lot deeper into the fundamentals of why things happen in one place and not in another!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users